Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

How important is Meta.

data_connect

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a question, how important is the meta description, i know title and keywords are important or fairly important but what about the description? At the moment i set the Meta title and description the same, is there a chance i could get penalised for this? :?:

Thanks

Keyboard Cowboy

Positioning / Publishing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The meta description is the important one, of the two. The power of meta keywords has been declining since the 90's. Engines still lists your site based on the meta description. I usually do them both, as they are still a valid way of strengthening your page theme. Just make them relevant and non spammy, obviously

Don't make you title and description the same. This is the kind of thing G's webmaster tool would complain about :)

accomatic

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
meta keywords are not important anymore. meta description is important because google usually uses it as text snippets when displaying results.

data_connect

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Thats intresting, was hoping you was not going to say it was important. The reason i asked, is take a look at this:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=best+voip+rates&meta=

Im in position 3 (www.chatlife.co.uk)

The meta information for this page is:

<meta name="author" content="Administrator" />
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />
<meta name="description" content="Cheap Internet Calls, Cheap International Calls, Cheap Phone Calls, Best VoIP Rates" />
<meta name="keywords" content="cheap internet calls, cheap international calls, cheap phone calls, best voIP rates, voip rates, cheap phone, best voip, internet calls, checp international, voip retail, cheap national" />

and yet the desciption displayed in google is:

We also update our rates all the time to constantly give you the best real time information we can. Cheap phone calls using your softphone or VoIP hardware ...

Which lead me to ask how important it is, problem is i got a lot of pages indexed so going through each page one by one will take alot of time, so should i leave it or should i change it?

Thank

accomatic

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google thinks that meta description you have is not relevant to the search query asked, so it displays other text snippet in results.

Which lead me to ask how important it is, problem is i got a lot of pages indexed so going through each page one by one will take alot of time, so should i leave it or should i change it?

Just leave it as is. Changing meta description won't make any difference.

Last edited:

bryanbell

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The Meta description tag is playing significant role in effective SEO. This short paragraph helps you in marketing your business to searchers and let them know exactly what the given page want to tell. By using the Meta description tag your customers can come to know about your company services. It helps to increase targeted traffic to your website.

Last edited:

aitraining

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My top site which is in the top 3 for most of my niche keywords does not have any meta tags on it. Over 500 pages. Most of my sites do, but my main one just never had them, but is SEO'd very well. fwiw.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't bother using meta keywords it's a complete waste of your time. Meta Description will not play a direct role in your rankings; however, optimized descriptions can lead to a higher click through rate (CTR). You couple a high CTR with a low bounce rate and you'll soon notice your rocketing up in the ranks. The best SEO advice I could possibly give you is... STAY RELEVANT..

seoexperttools

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Meta tags are still playing major roles in search engines. Even Google suggests that your meta tags should be relevant and catching to the readers. And it is a fact that meta tags do help in increasing the CTR when your website ranked in top.

Davis.Joseph

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a question, how important is the meta description, i know title and keywords are important or fairly important but what about the description? At the moment i set the Meta title and description the same, is there a chance i could get penalised for this? :?:

Thanks

As per my Experience there is no chance to get penalty by Google for specified reason.

nidhivyas

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The power of meta keywords has been declining since the 90's.
Engines still lists your site based on the meta description.
Meta tags are playing major roles in search engines.
meta description is important.
it as text snippets when displaying results.

Marius Swita

Multisystem-Electronics
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Google uses Meta descriptions to return results when searchers use advanced search operators to match Meta tag content, as well as to pull preview snippets on search result pages, but it's important to note that Meta descriptions do not to influence Google's ranking algorithms for normal web search.

beingchinmay

Chinmay
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Metatag is Most Important Tag In SEO

Because Its Suggest Page Basic Informations

anirban09p

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Meta Keywords have no importance now. Google has devalued it in the year 2009. This is due to the reason people started stuffing in that tag. They fill hundreds of keywords in the meta keywords tag. That's why Google devalued it.

naveen007va

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
meta is the main first most important thing when we look into optimization.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators