Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

How long did it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrams1117

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
A few questions:
1 From the first day you became interested in the domain game,how long did it take before you made any money?
2 How long did it take before you figured it all out?
3 How many times did you consider quitting?
4 How much did you spend before you figured out how to make money?
5 How long before you got back all the money you wasted in the beginning?
6 Are you making your living from it?
7 How long did it take before you realized that afternic appraisls were '......' (put your own word(s) here).

thanks

Anyone want to add: #8 ,#9 , #10 ,etc?

Domain summit 2024

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Abrams: Here are my answers:

1) I started in June 2000. My first sale was not until December 2000 - about 6 months.

2) I had all the drops figured out in about 5-6 months. Remember that back in 2000, the methodology of drops was **NOT** common knowledge. I remember being able to get pure 3 letter as well as 2 character .coms on a 56k modem. Those were the gool old days when nobody knew how to do it except for a few. :)

3) I have yet to consider quitting. The domain name game can lucrative if you know what to do and how to do it.

4) I registered probably 400 names before I realized how much crap I regged.. . . This was for about the first 7-8 months. Of course when you start, you think all of your names ROCK. As you get more and more names and are in the game longer, you realize that very few of your names are GOOD.

5) It was about one year before I struck a decent sale ($10,000) that I went in the black. Before that, I was not WAY in the hole, just a little.

6) I am trying to make a living at it, but have a ways to go yet. I am **always** trying to improve what I have, what I do, and how much money I make from it.

7) LOL - it took me about 3 weeks. Two appraisals in a couple of days did it for me.. One was Happy-Birthday.cc and the other was i5g.com - both appraised by people at $100,000. Yeah, right. At that point, I stopped doing the appraisals and went into the AN chatroom and learned the real tricks. here I am now. :yes:

Cheers!

-Bob

1. About 5-6 months. (give or take a month) Mostly $200 here, $300 there, etc.

2. Honestly, I don't think anybody has figured it "All" out but it was several months before I felt confident.

3. Never, but then I don't rely on it as my only income. I also have a good 9-5 job.

4. I registered about 50 names before I had any clue what was actually good. There were no forums back then for people to get tips and advice. New people just starting now have a lot more tools and resources available to help them. As Martha Stewart would say..."It's a GOOD thing".

5. It was about 9 months when I sold a name for a very large amount of money. I still have a photo copy of the cashier's check hanging above my desk. :)

6. Yes, but I don't rely on it. I like to eat on a regular basis so I have a day job too.

7. About 2 days. Another member sent me an email saying ..."Hey bro, I will appraise your names really high if you do the same for me."

Q

abrams1117

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
It seems to be a learning process.
You can't reach 10th grade until you complete the 9th grade.
I wonder how many drop outs could have went on to get a masters?

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I started in late 1998, when my country finaly decided to let the internet in. Never made money from any domain sale.

Tried to sell a few, but felt my friends or I could do better at developing them.

>>2 How long did it take before you figured it all out?
I doubt anyone has done that yet - and as soon as anyone thinks they have, it all changes.

>>3 How many times did you consider quitting?
I'm a recovering domainaholic - still feel the pangs but give into temptation now and then :)

4 - Never went over 200 myself, and domains are best valued by their webmasters.

5 - You mean people do this for money???

Guess I'll stop here - too much fun for this old man ;)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DotComster
Guess I'll stop here - too much fun for this old man ;)

I agree. Domaining is fun and transcends all ages. Once you pass 20, you are OLD man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators