Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

I want to start my own Mini Websites- HELPPP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krshna

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new to DNForums and I'm planning to start my own mini-website.

The problem is, though I have my own content development team in place, and can easily generate international quality content for cheap with my team, I have no idea about how to set up an actual website.

:)

I am an ignoramus with respect to mini websites(or any website as a matter of fact! I do have some above average- good knowledge of SEO though.

I need a simple guideline as to how to go about it? My intention is to sell the mini website after a month or so, is this an advisable experiment? Do i have any hope of making any worthy returns at all? How much does a mini website with 5-10 pages of content usually sell for? I need a step by step kind of procedure to get the thing up and running. Also, if there is a particular target i need to reach to actually make a decent amount to sell the website, any advice on how i can capitalize on the site until i reach such a level? Please help!

:)

How much setting up a mini web site costs, domain costs, web space etc any help is welcome! Please do not hesitate to PM or Reply to this thread! Nay help is welcome, all ideas are looked into and everyone is thanked!

With Best Regards,
Krshna

All About Me Here!

Domain summit 2024

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have domains, part of it is done.

Then, get some inexpensive hosing (HostMonster isn't too bad).

Then, set up Wordpress sites - get a template so it doesn't look "bloggy".

Edit the code to add in some AdSense and/or some Amazon links and you're all set! Update weekly.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

you can learn how to set-up or build a website here:

www.w3schools.com

they have all info on html /css /php etc, including an on-site editor.

you can register a domain at directnic for $15.00 yearly fee, which includes free hosting, so you can add as many pages as you wish with no additional costs.

this way you'll know for the first year the project will only cost you $15

Krshna

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you have domains, part of it is done.

Then, get some inexpensive hosing (HostMonster isn't too bad).

Then, set up Wordpress sites - get a template so it doesn't look "bloggy".

Edit the code to add in some AdSense and/or some Amazon links and you're all set! Update weekly.
HI Draggar,
Thanks for the reply!
I do have a domain name in mind- But i havent registered it yet.

I just checked out Host monster- it looks good! WHat do you think about GoDaddy?

Anyhow, i was also wondering to what extent my domain topic(not name) matters or influences my chances of being able to sell my mini site. I was thinking of something with relation to tourism, specifically in India.

I also heard that WOrdpress has some kind of an SEO pack, which is effective? Any suggestions?

Since this is my first time, i want to work cheap. Not like i'm expecting a million dollars for this one, but the idea is to experiment and learn.

Thanks!

Hi

www.w3schools.com

you can register a domain at directnic for $15.00 yearly fee, which includes free hosting, so you can add as many pages as you wish with no additional costs.

Hi Biggedon
Thanks for the link. Looks like I'm going to be glued to that site for quite some time! Looks like I do have some hope out here!

As for the 15$ per minisite expense, thats exactly the way i want it. The cheapest, above average(traffic, design and revenue) mini website.

Will be researching a lot more in the next few days! Will post if I have any difficulties as well!

Thanks again!
Krshna

mkellerman

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is there a simple to use content management system I could use to firstly define the template of the site and then for me to fill in the content (since I have the same problem as Krishna)? Maybe Wordpress could do this, but is there a simple to install Wordpress setup to do it?

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is there a simple to use content management system I could use to firstly define the template of the site and then for me to fill in the content (since I have the same problem as Krishna)? Maybe Wordpress could do this, but is there a simple to install Wordpress setup to do it?

Installing Wordpress is very easy.
Just follow instruction step by step.
You can install if you can read :D

If your hosting acct. use Cpanel...
I think most Cpanel comes with Fantastico and Fantastico
has "click click" Wordpress installation. However, if your host
do not keep up with upgrade, then, it's kind of shit to upgrade
Wordpress when it's installed with Fantastico.

Last edited:

mkellerman

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Installing Wordpress is very easy.
Just follow instruction step by step.
You can install if you can read :D

If your hosting acct. use Cpanel...
I think most Cpanel comes with Fantastico and Fantastico
has "click click" Wordpress installation. However, if your host
do not keep up with upgrade, then, it's kind of shit to upgrade
Wordpress when it's installed with Fantastico.

Installing a default Wordpress installation is easy. But then you need various add-ons and templates to get your site looking other than the default wordpress blog. Then upgrading Wordpress is inconvenient. Backing up your site is also fairly inconvenient. The whole thing is a bit inconvenient.

Another option is to use something like Xsitepro and perhaps this is more convenient, but this has drawbacks for what I want to do too:
-- Xsitepro doesn't support having a contact form for people to make enquiries.
-- Xsitepro doesn't support any scripts except English. Even German support is dodgey, let alone Japanese or Chinese.

I'm looking for a better option for building multiple sites (as surely, many of us want to do) and I just haven't found it yet.

David.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here used AEIOU for minisites? Either the 1 or 5 page option?

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A couple of associates of mine are putting up IDN sites on the parking templates at noomle.com, which you can customize your own content on and put up adsense etc. Appears that noomle accepts donations for their services, or I believe they co-share ads on the sites as an option. Noomle supports many international languages English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Polish, Chinese, Russian, Arabic, Japanese and Hindi.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with noomle and have not tried service myself, but these guys indicate it is pretty easy for novices to get started with and they have been pretty satisfied with the services.

Last edited:

exponent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There used to be a way to mass-manage multiple wordpress blogs. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it's called. I think its a special version of wordpress but I don't remember the name.

UPDATE: http://mu.wordpress.org/

Last edited:

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Xsitepro doesn't support having a contact form for people to make enquiries.
Yes it does.

You might want to also look at Joomla as a CMS - lots of add-ons, templates, and functions.
A bit steeper learning curve than some CMS, but worth the effort.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm using whypark and am pretty pleased with it.

Its easy and costs $10/mo for a managed package that allows you to use adsense, there is also a free version that limits you to a parked feed, which is ok if you're primarily into gtlds and not cctlds.

Oh and the $10/mo fee covers unlimited sites.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing excellent returns on my minisites.

1) Buy domains.
2) Buy a reseller hosting account with WHM cPanel.
3) Buy a template.
4) Create cpanel accounts.
5) Upload files to FTP accounts.
6) Login, edit, etc.

I would never use a service like whypark or any other service like that. If you can make your own websites without using a service like that WHYNOT? :)

- I can make a new minisite from nothing with full unique content of 5 pages in less than 1 hour now.

MacyT.

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been selling quite a few of my mini-sites for a while now. So this has been from my experience:

Your mini-sites will only sell for decent #'s if you are getting traffic...and obviously even more if you are generating some revenue whether it's with adsense or affiliate products.

To be honest, the market is really saturated with crappy mini-sites these days. Your content must be in well-written English...auto posting & auto content plug-in's these days have really become out of control and most people won't spend a lot of money on content that is obviously crappy.

If your going for strictly content sites - it's all about the niche and the keyword research. Nobody is going to give their 'secrets' away for how they figure out what will work for smaller sites...including me, sorry :). I will suggest staying away from the obvious competitive ones unless you are prepared to produce extremely good content...otherwise, be prepared to sell for under xxx. * (I'm not talking about sites created for PPC or landing pages, etc....I'm focusing on small, niche content sites that bring in organic traffic)

Also, these days I create sites and build on the ones that start to look promising w/out too much promotion..sell the ones that need more work and I'm less interested in. I sell those relatively cheap. (usually for under $150). It gives me good business karma and a returning client base.

I never duplicate a site I sell -- that includes tweaking content. That's just unethical. I concentrate on keywords, niche, and good content. I am not a professional web designer,therefore I am usually just tweaking and customizing free templates. Sometimes I'll have a logo made. They look right for the niche.

People who are willing to spend good money on content sites -- in my experience, aren't swayed by a pretty template. Don't expect a nice template to inflate the price if the content is substandard. So...yes - I really stress that the content must be good to excellent - if you wish to make decent money.

Last edited:

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have minisite.im & minisites.im lol think should open a minisite development service ;)

alliance

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Check out Niche Profit Classroom(link below). Excellent program with great video training and turnkey niche website opportunities. You can check out the entire program for a week for a buck.

adityas

SEO King
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing excellent returns on my minisites.

1) Buy domains.
2) Buy a reseller hosting account with WHM cPanel.
3) Buy a template.
4) Create cpanel accounts.
5) Upload files to FTP accounts.
6) Login, edit, etc.

I would never use a service like whypark or any other service like that. If you can make your own websites without using a service like that WHYNOT? :)

- I can make a new minisite from nothing with full unique content of 5 pages in less than 1 hour now.

You write 5 pages of content and design a site in under an hour, wow! If that is really the case then wow, wow!
Hi

www.w3schools.com

Excellent advise, big's got it on the bull's eye, maybe try registering at Godaddy with a coupon (you might find here on the forum), that way you can even reduce the $15/year :) It pays off to be cheap in this business (every now and then that is)

Yes it does.

You might want to also look at Joomla as a CMS - lots of add-ons, templates, and functions.
A bit steeper learning curve than some CMS, but worth the effort.

Agreed! Joomla is great, give xsitepro a shot too, they are both worth it, but that being said, I'd rather spend the same amount of time learning and figuring out how to customize and optimize Wordpress, possibly the easiest thing on the market for both pros and newbies......

Best of luck, PM me if you need anything, will be glad to help!

Aditya

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators