Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Interesting domain name story

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tiger

Ok so I registered this .net domain name two years ago. I had in mind to create something like "linkexchange" but with impression-per-click award in addition to that per impression. So I got the domain, and after like a year I created this nice web site for it. I also purchased an excellent perl script to do the job for $50. Strike of reality, it wasn't a sucess. It was really done well but it didn't work out (lack of interested people.. perhaps :) ?)

But shortly after I registered it, I discovered that the .com version of it is for a company which pays per clicks. I sent them an e-mail asking them if they want the domain name, they never replied.

The funny part is that when I put it on ebay for sale last summer, in which I also included what is left of hosting, the entire web site, and the script. The auction ended nicely, and I got myself $280 - $120 = $160 net (well the effort I put in that web site was worth much more than $160, oh well :( ). I tranfered the name and everything went great. A couple of months later, I discover that actually the person who purchased the site wanted only the domain, and he forwarded it to the .com.

I am glad that the story ended this way. I got my money back (maybe a little more), and the company got the name. The interesting part though, is that I offered the name for them in my e-mail for $50! They could have easily purchased it then instead of paying $280 on ebay.

What do you think?

P

President Gringo

they probably thought it was spam and deleted it with the other thousands of spam mails they got :)

D

DomainNameFactory

Did the "whois" match? Maybe someone else bought it and became an affiliate.

T

Tiger

The whois did match! not exactly the same but the same mailing address :)

M

Mythios

Originally posted by President Gringo
they probably thought it was spam and deleted it with the other thousands of spam mails they got :)

I agree, they most likely deleted it w/o reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators