Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed is this better

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MusicWiz

hanky-panky.org

its a dictionary word + gets type-ins according to overture.

and it is spelt with a hyphen in the dictionary !

was this name worth the reg fee or did i just waste another $8.95 ?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't have regged it. The thing you always have to ask yourself is "how could a person make money with this domain"? Because if it doesn't have any readily apparent commercial appeal, who is going to want to buy it? To start with, .org is generally recognized as a non-profit extension so that's problem #1.

Also, even thought it may have a hyphen in it in the dictionary, hyphens in domains are almost always a major negative. Anytime you have to verbally tell someone the name of your domain, you have to explain the hyphen or dash. Also people are accustomed to not typing hyphens in domain names so they will normally automatically leave it out when trying to type your name. Some people who rely only on search engines and not verbal communication of their name, think hyphens are acceptable but they definitely clobber resale value because they are not acceptable to most buyers in the aftermarket.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MusicWiz
i just got adobetutorials.com any better ?

Better - especially if you are familiar enough with Adobe products to develop a site providing simplified tutorial information (their products come with built it tutorials).

You could run into a trademark problem using their name in your domain title, though if you were helping people to use their products they probably wouldn't hassle you.

I don't think you could sell the name for much on its own - so the key would lie in development.

If you are buying only for resale, I would take a breath and stop regging until doing a lot of reading on this site. Very few if any valuable names will be acquired (especially .coms) through new registrations - they are long gone. You have to use drop services or buy in the aftermarket to get any of those good names and that is a very competitive and expensive area.

M

MusicWiz

photoshop tutorials gets over 32'000 searches so i would mainly be using it for trafiic purposes.

just accuired photoshoptutorials.net

mainly for traffic purposes but it will be getting developed

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There won't be any traffic until it is fully developed and ranked in search engines (and that can take a long while and a lot of work). A .net will get virtually no type-in searchs. Overture shows 32,000 searches (which is actually a sampling) for the term "Photoshop Tutorial" but that is not going to bring anyone to photoshoptutorials.net (or even the .com for that matter as both full URL's have zero searches in Overture).

People who type that term in a search engine like Google will bring up over a quarter of a million pages and right at the top is an official tutorial site from Adobe - that is where the traffic will end up going. You would also have to get your site in the top couple of pages at Google to pull heavy traffic.

M

MusicWiz

any better ? + i could sell the tutorials and hopefully that will give the domain some resale appeal .. i hope

M

MusicWiz

i can do that easily duke :) thanks for your help .. im off to start building the site and submitting it

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If I was setting up a tutorial site, I'd go for something like easyadobe or adobe made simple. Gives you a different marketing approach.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MusicWiz
any better ? + i could sell the tutorials and hopefully that will give the domain some resale appeal .. i hope

There is of course a market for Photoshop Tutorial books - in fact I just ordered and received one this week! (From Half.com). But limiting book sales to one area is too limited to give the name alone much resale value I would think. Book sales are highly competitive with people like Amazon, Barnes & Noble & Half out there. I think DP's idea makes sense - develop it and make things as easy as possible for people with as much value-added information as possible.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your new domains. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom