Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Mass-email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been collecting email addresses (people signing up for updates or signing a petition and clicking "receive updates" (don't worry - the default is off for this) and the list has grown quite large. Is there an email program I can run locally that can handle emailing out to everyone?

The emails will be sent though my VPS so I'm not worried about being flagged but Outlook has one thing I don't like - it will send all the emails out at once flagging with many servers - maybe a program that can send, say 200-250 then wait an hour, send more, etc..?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are so many problems with this. One, all email providers (GMail, etc.) have a rate per hour they're willing to accept per domain. They also have a secret "warming up period", so let's say you reach 500 emails/hour to AOL (that they openly provide), they will still ban you because you didn't send them a "feeler" first. Also, you need your domain keys setup properly and multiple IP addresses. If you plan on sending more than 10,000 and more than twice a week, I'd plan on going with MailChimp or Aweber. Of course doing this, you will need another opt-in and Aweber doesn't accept already opt-in emails being imported (so you would have to email them the opt-in link).

How many emails we talking though?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right now I've had about 4,000 people opt in (either signed up or signed a petition and checked the opt-in box (default is unchecked)). Outlook actually handled this distribution OK - at first my VPS rejected them because they reset the permissions back to 350 per hour - I reset that and they went out OK with the normal bounce-backs (wrong / invalid email addresses etc.).

I'm looking to send maybe at most, one per month but most likely one per quarter.

I'm thinking my main priority may be email management - a way to enter the email addresses (copy and paste or import?) and be able to flag emails of people who later request to opt-out so I don't add them again in the future (or even allow them to opt out themselves like I see with company email blasts).

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most people don't really do this themselves anymore, as David said there are a lot of issues.

However, you might consider using a service not just to combat the negatives, but because there are a lot of positives. Like wysiwyg editors, full list management, intelligent tracking and reporting, etc.

Check out icontact.com - they will allow you to attest that your emails are opted in, and won't force you to have everyone reconfirm.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. I would prefer to do this locally on my PC - it's a political site and many of the followers are in fear of retaliation from the opposition (I've personally seen some strong actions against us). My VPS seems to be able to handle these emails now, 4,000 got sent out quickly (I got mine within 10 minutes) though Outlook.

I'm also considering something though the site (Wordpress) - something like "sign up for our newsletter" etc.).

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used something called SubscribeMe Pro for many years, and it was a good email management tool. I don't know if they have kept it updated or not. I assume you could run it from a local server.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have used SendBlaster for years.

Allows you to send from your pc and will use there smtp so won't get your isp to cut you off.

Adam Dicker

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't send from your VPS. All it takes is one complaint and you're shut down. Not only that, if an IP address is blacklisted for "spamming", your host won't be too happy with you either. Read your TOS/AUP and seriously consider an email provider service or MTA program (very expensive).

There are ways to circumvent the CAN-SPAM act, but I will not go into detail about that, just recommend using MTA, Aweber or MailChimp. It isn't cheap though for 4,000+ subscribers ($50 with MailChimp and monitors bounce backs, opt-outs, etc. to keep both you and them safe).

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been blacklisted before, and it wasnt for the obvious.

It took weeks and a new IP on my mailserver to fix it.

You have to consider the recipients isp's that you are sending to.

I currently have to cater to a dozen different isp's, via configuration of my dns settings and mail opt-in/out mechansisms.

It depends on what your purpose is. Sometimes it is just better to outsource to a pro email solicitation provider that has the tools in place to keep your emails,..recievable.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The issue is that these emails are not being sent out to sell, they're being sent out for political information - so any money spent will be a 100% loss, even $50 a month is expensive.

Each person who receives them is either a paid member of the group or opted in from one of our petitions (the check box is default to NOT opt in - so they have to check it) plus I always tell them they just have to let me know and I'll remove their email address.

I sent an email about a month ago from Outlook and I've had no issues, I can still send and receive emails from that address (it also gets correspondence). I don't think ant ISP has blocked me yet (well, my own host blocked me because when I was moved they reset the email send limit to a set number, not infinite like I had it before - that was a quick and easy fix).

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/8272.asp

Good reading, spoiler at the end (and important info about who is liable in the middle):

Although political emails aren't regulated by CAN-SPAM, they are regulated by the people who route them, who get them and who, the politicians hope, act on them. Ultimately, it's not the court of law legitimate email senders need to worry about; it's the court of the consumer and public opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom