Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Most of the Internet is down this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

askii

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From the CNN.com News (repeated here because
you may not get it from cnn.com site)

Electronic attack slows Internet

'SQL' worm like 'Code Red,' but not as serious
Saturday, January 25, 2003 Posted: 8:49 AM EST (1349 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A fast-moving computer worm slowed down Internet access Saturday for about
22,000 servers, according to the Internet security firm Symantec. Oliver Friedrichs, a senior manager with Symantec, said the "SQL" worm was taking advantage of a vulnerability detected six months ago in Microsoft sequel servers, used mainly by
companies to store information. Friedrichs said businesses, rather than home users, would be affected by the worm, which was similar but not as
serious as the "Code Red" worm. Code Red swept through hundreds of thousands of computers in a single day in July 2001.
"When we look at this threat compared to some of the other threats, it's not that significant," he said. "Not as many servers are affected as Code Red." A computer worm is a program that reproduces by copying itself onto other machines, which then seek out other vulnerable computers. Friedrichs said the SQL worm "breaks into the server and tries to spread." "It really generates a lot of network traffic," he said. "It's really just going to slow down Internet performance." Friedrichs said Microsoft issued "patches" to fix the vulnerabilities in its systems, which were detected in July 2001, but many companies did not install them, opening the door to the SQL worm.

Domain summit 2024

DotDuDe

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well..some sites do not open at all... I wonder if this is the case...

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I noticed it big-time. Cost me a couple of good expirations.

grrrrrr.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All of my sites at Voxtreme are STILL down! I understand that is the case at some other data centers too.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl
All of my sites at Voxtreme are STILL down! I understand that is the case at some other data centers too.

My sites too. I use ikiwi.net

atlach

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
and versign is under maintenance :

we have just been intimated by Verisign that the .Com/.Net Registry is performing a maintenance, that is expected to end by Saturday, 25 January 2003, 21:00 UTC/GMT

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by atlach
and versign is under maintenance :

we have just been intimated by Verisign that the .Com/.Net Registry is performing a maintenance, that is expected to end by Saturday, 25 January 2003, 21:00 UTC/GMT

Verisign's down becase of the transfer of the .ORG registry to PIR today, not because of the internet attack. Same with several other major registrars. You'll be able to use them again later today when the changeover is done. However PIR will not let anyone register .ORGs until 6pm Eastern Time Sunday,

With Voxtreme down I am not getting any email from 5 different sites. That is a major pain and I'm sure it is causing a lot of confusion among customers. Also, if Google happens to spider your sites while they are out of service, they will compeletly removed you from the Google rankings. You would get picked bac up the next time they swep through (usually about 4 weeks later) but a month out of the rankings could really hurt some people!

Sheva

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by askii
From the CNN.com News (repeated here because
you may not get it from cnn.com site)
were detected in July 2001, but many companies did not install them, opening the door to the SQL worm.

Dwayne, can you read emails at askii.com? if yes please read my email, if not can you please tell me and I will send you a PM here?

Thanks

Mike

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dwayne,

I noticed your site is down and I have not received any lists
since 12:15am to any of my servers.

I was wondering if it's caused by the worm. Please let me know
ASAP, I have also sent an e-mail regarding this issue.

Thanks,
Luc L.

boychik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anybody else having problems trying to renew
domains at NameBargain today?

The site works, but when I try to renew domains there,

This message pops up

"If you have reached this page, your domain is not renewable anymore.
Please contact Customer Service for more Information*.

Thank you!" :confused:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can't seem to register any new names with eNOM today. Yeah, probably the PIR shutdown more than this sqlworm thingy.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't have any problem. :D

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Can't seem to register any new names with eNOM today. Yeah, probably the PIR shutdown more than this sqlworm thingy.

You won;t be able to register anything except .info until about 4PM eastern time today (6pm Sunday for .org). The switch to PIR and parallel maintenance by both Verisign and Neulevel are the reason. I guess they hoped everyone would be preoccupied with the SuperBowl this weekend and wouldn't notice. :)

DotDuDe

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes, com/net is down for maintenance and org for transition... I wonder why registrars didn't post maintenance warning on their web sites...

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DotDuDe
yes, com/net is down for maintenance and org for transition... I wonder why registrars didn't post maintenance warning on their web sites...

Some like Dotster did - but many said nothing - really idiotic!!

Neulevel is doing maintenance too which means no .BIZ or .US either. If you search for available names you will only see .INFOS as being available, even though that is often not the case. Everything but .ORG is supposed to be available again in a little over an hour from now.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if there has been or will be a drop today of the names which would have dropped at 2.00pm?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dotNetKing
Anyone know if there has been or will be a drop today of the names which would have dropped at 2.00pm?

Shucks, I'm not even getting my 20+ spam maiils a day. The internet is a bit screwy today, and I doubt if anyone honestly knows the answer.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're probably right! Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators