Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Moving wordpress from one add-on domain to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I have an account at hostmonster where I have a few add-on domains being used as individual websites. I tested a wordpress site on one of my add-on domains and I would like to move it to another of my add-on domains.

Can this be done relatively easy?

Basically what I want to do is move an entire wordpress site from one domain to another in my current hostmonster hosting account.

Thanks

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the way i normally do it is use an FTP client like Filezilla, you can download all the files from the current domain then upload them to the new one.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would I need to edit any files. Many ofthe google searches I did mentioned something about editing the wp-config.php file but I don't understand much after that

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i dont think so, because you are not moving hosts, you should be able to use the same database. if you are not changing the database, there should not be a reason to have to change the wp-config file.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok, gotcha. Yes, many of the sites I read were discussing moving from one server to another and I think that's why they were talking about messing around with the wp-config.php

Thanks, I'll try it tonight and hope it works

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Another simple method is if you have a host that has script installers like fantastico or simplescripts is to use them to put it on the new domain then using phpmyadmin overwrite the database with your old one. Upload any non-standard plugins and themes to your wp-content folder as well.

Be sure to check any references in your database to your old domain name like those that may be in your file upload paths. :eek:k:

And obviously - do a backup first!

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys. I actually found an even easier way of doing this. I went to the file manager and selected all the files in the directory where the they currently were. Then I copied them to the new directory.
After that, all I had to do was update a few things through the sites wp-admin page and everything was up and running.
So I ended up doing all of this through the file manager. No need for FTPing or Fantastico or anything
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom