Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

My DN Trade Marked by others after my registration .

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyrcanuck

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good Morning

I would appreciate some feedback on this question. I have not contacted any legal advice as of yet.

My question concerns a DN that I have owned for a couple of years. I have never developed it, it is parked.

A couple of problems that probably will be arising are

1-- I came across a recent published book which is titled with the same name as my DN.
I believe that all publications are Trade marked?

2- I searched the TM registry and noticed that my DN name is being Trade Marked by a company not associated with the book author. This also started at a later date than the registaration date of my domain name.

My question then is , does my domain name have any legal priority as it was registered prior to the 2 above situations? Or should I attempt a sale to either of the above parties? Or perhaps I should sit back and wait for a C&D?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you may have.

Gary

Domain summit 2024

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the name is worth it, consult a lawyer.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well you have no a priori rights since by your own admission you have never used the name other then to park it.

Or should I attempt a sale to either of the above parties? Or perhaps I should sit back and wait for a C&D?

Bad idea all around... seek legal advise if worth it

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
No it's not when there are clear trademark/copyright issue at hand.

I think you're perusing the wrong domainer Bible.

While each case is distinct, the mere existence of a trademark does not automatically entitle its holder to the (.com) domain. In addition, the pre-existence of a domain and its consistent use (including parking) does not put its owner to a lagging position against a tm holder who acquired it at a later time.

But I will agree with your statement that if one needs to protect a domain they need to consult an attorney.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Didnt we have a similar situation with MySpace.co.uk? It existed long before MySpace.com was an established website. MySpace.com didn't (couldn't?) do anything until MySpace.co.uk started to show social networking ads - then they went after them.

Is the name a generic? If it is it could help you if it does go to a WIPO.

Since it is parked, though, I would stay away from books and what the book is about (especially if it is not generic).

Rathergood has a great piece of advice, if the domain is worth it, consult a lawyer.

Do NOT try to sell it to the author or the company. This will be viewed as bad faith in the eyes of a WIPO.

Parking - while it is a legitemate use of a domain, many WIPO panelists don't see it that way and see it as a way for you to profit off of someone else's hard work (even though you had the domain before the book and TM).

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lesson one - people need to learn the difference between copyright and trademark
Lesson two - people need to learn the definition of trademark (in it's simplest form, it is two distinct words - trade and mark
Lesson three - there can be multiple Trade Marks issued for the same word or groups of words.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
More pertinent questions would be, is the name a .com or .ca (or something else)

is the trademark registered in Canada, USA or somewhere else, etc.

If its a .ca name with a mark registered in Canada, probably not a good idea to take advice from Americans or contemplate "what-ifs" under WIPO you would have a much bigger problem in your own backyard.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
More pertinent questions would be, is the name a .com or .ca (or something else)

is the trademark registered in Canada, USA or somewhere else, etc.

If its a .ca name with a mark registered in Canada, probably not a good idea to take advice from Americans or contemplate "what-ifs" under WIPO you would have a much bigger problem in your own backyard.
Yeah. Don't trust the Americans.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Don't trust the Americans.

Well, advice from anyone outside of Canada in that regard. Didn't mean to pick on Americans specifically, but they do tend to bring the notion that UDRP/WIPO is the only game in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators