Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed MyWWW.ws

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cerebus

I´m a total newbie in the domain business, so please just give me a no-no if it´s not worth a dime ;)

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BIG no-no ... $0 resale

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Big No-No. .WS names are TOUGH sales. I had 2 and was lucky enough to sell them. Never again will I buy a ccTLD.

Best of luck!

-Bob

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not even .us Bob? (I'm not saying you should, just wondering if you think our own country code will be as big a flop as .ws .cc .nu and the rest).

pixelman

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Very hard to sell, even if it is a one-word domain.

The users will attempt to access MyWWW.com instead.

A great three letter name with a very weak extention, it may have interest to those die-hard .WS believers, but beyond that a very long hard road.
Try to aquire DOT COM's , they will always be king!

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RSB1230
Try to aquire DOT COM's , they will always be king!

A tired 17 year old King? :sleep:

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl
Not even .us Bob? (I'm not saying you should, just wondering if you think our own country code will be as big a flop as .ws .cc .nu and the rest).

Duke -

Yes, unfortunately, I think .us will flop too.

.CA was as hyped as the rest. It failed. You never see a .ca (you might in Canada, but I never have).

Perhaps I am wrong. Maybe .us will be something, but I do not see it being big at all for at least 10 years.

.com, .net, and org were the three original gTLDs.

Ponder this:

First, exclude speculators in this scenario as we have a unique knowledge of the workings. Go out to any street corner - consider Joe Schmoe here. Ask the general population to name as many domain name extensions as they can. I bet 90% can only name 3: .com , .net, and .org. 2-3 years ago, it would only have been .com. The fact is, most people have never heard of .tv, .cc. nu. ca, .us, etc.

.COM is king, we all agree on that. What comes next is where the debate starts.

If you go down the street and look/listen to advertisements, what URLs to you encounter? Answer: .COM, .NET, and .ORG. Do you ever see a ccTLD? I have NEVER seen one in an advertisement.

.com is ingrained in everybody head. Now, that does not mean that .us will**never** amount to anything. My point is the the general public only accepted .com 2, 3, 4 years ago. Now accepance is creeping to .net and .org too. How long did that take? Quite awhile. The general population is more comfortable with .com, .net, and .org than .biz, .info, .us, etc. . .

.net and .org will be big before any other ccTLD or gTLD simply because the public has already been exposed to it and it is more accepted right now than any other TLD. Also with microshart (err, microsoft) deploying their .NET strategy, that will help with the values of .NET inthe next 2-3 years. When they start putting their BILLIONS behind it and start to REALLY push their .NET strategy, people will take note, because when MS talks, people listen.

Another reason I think .NET will be bigger? I can honestly say I have been studying and watching .net names for 1-1/2 years now. I had a feeling they would be big, so I started accumulating them - yes, 1-1/2 years ago. People laughed at me. All they wanted was .com. Well, cool for them. As time went on, and as we all know, good .coms are non-existant for registration. If you want one, you pay big bucks. .NET could be had cheaply. Over the last 18 months, I have seen interest rise in .NET because you could still get a great name relatively inexpensively. Now, in the last 6-8 months I have seen a HUGE shift in the attitude of speculators as a whole. I do not know if you have noticed, but i certainly have. Speculators ar starting to hoard .NET and .ORG.

You used to be able to get 3 letter .net names anywhere for $50-- $75 in the secondry market. Check Namewinner. Now they are going for $200 to speculators. What does that say? Ask a speculator what they want for their 3 letter .net. Chances are you are going to get an answer of $200 - $500 if they are good letters. Interest is going up, values are going up.

I used to be able to get great short one-word .nets on the drop. NO PROBLEM. everybody was chasing .com. Now? Geesh, you need a snap or have to bid on namewinner to get them. What does that say? Interest is going up. Values are going up.

People bash .net. I think it is the next tld to have value. We obvioulsy have to get through this economic slowdown before values on anything pick back up.

My opinion. :)

-Bob

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great post bob! I share many of your opinions.

Agree with bob's comments in the main; .us, .ws, .info, .cc .biz are all in the same leagure in my opinion - extensions for speculators only.

Though I would have to disagree on .net; I think it will always be seen as very much a second rate extension used mainly for hobby/small sites. I don't see how microsoft's .net strategy will effect domain prices as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with domains. I've never even seen them use microsoft.net as an example, the .net ads promote microsoft.com.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by snoopy
Though I would have to disagree on .net; I think it will always be seen as very much a second rate extension used mainly for hobby/small sites. I don't see how microsoft's .net strategy will effect domain prices as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with domains. I've never even seen them use microsoft.net as an example, the .net ads promote microsoft.com.

I agree that the .NET stategy has nothing to do with domain names. But, when they start pushing their strategy, you will see .NET everywhere (the strategy). When .NET the strategy is promoted, it will be free advertisement for .NET domain names and heighten awareness to the .NET extension. This much is true. I am speculating on how that will affect the value of net names. (opinions next)

<opinion>
People will will confuse the .NET strategy with the .NET domain names and will hop on the bandwagon to get .net names.
</optinion>

I might be wrong and it might not have the impact I think it will, BUT, it certainly will not HURT at all.

As for Microsoft.net, I have needed tech support from MS, and I have been directed to microsoft.net on several occasions. I cannot remember if it refreshed to MS.com though . . .

-Bob

deist

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think all it will take is one high profile ad campaign for a successful .us site for it to take off. I design websites for fun and sometimes for profit, and when I approach business owners who's names are not available in dot com, here in the south at least, they are much more interested in dot us as an alternative than anything else, it just sounds so good to the ear.
There is already one major advertising campaign that I know of... Every Pennsylvania license plate out there now bears the following, easily readable URL:
www.state.pa.us

That's on millions of cars being seen by millions of drivers every day right now.

The biggest thing .info has going for it is also government associated: Ads for http://www.mta.info/ are all over NYC and its one of the most well-trafficked .info sites.

Syd

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just to throw in my take on ccTLD's ~ There is certainly a case for saying that companies that only need national exposure for their website would rather have the ccTLD than the perceived international .com extension. Most people would prefer to deal with a company in their own country so a .co.uk, .de, .jp would reinforce the localisation of a company ~ television channels, radio stations are obvious examples, but even with something like registering a domain name; I would rather deal with a registrar based just up the road; or buying a CD, obviously less postage from a business within your own country ~ maybe its just me! Granted ccTLD's only appeal to companies within that country, therefore limiting the market for resale possibilities, and therefore lessening the value ~ but ccTLD's certainly serve an important function, and on the value ranking of extensions are probably second only to .com within that certain country. Because .US is a newcomer it is an exception at the moment, but maybe not so in the future. Marketing ccTLD&#8217;s as having an alternate meaning (.ws, .tv etc) on the other hand is different matter!

Cheers,

Syd.

Originally posted by Bob
.CA was as hyped as the rest. It failed. You never see a .ca (you might in Canada, but I never have).

-Bob

Bob, I agree with most of your post, but I don't recall .ca being hyped as anything other than Canada's national tld, which is correct.

And I don't remember it being "hyped" to the domain industry outside of Canada, and certainly not in the manner of .ws being billed as "website."

I am Canadian and currently reside in Toronto, and I can assure you the .ca extension is very popular here, with a lot of major corps using .ca.

Miles

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Namethink

Bob, I agree with most of your post, but I don't recall .ca being hyped as anything other than Canada's national tld, which is correct.

And I don't remember it being "hyped" to the domain industry outside of Canada, and certainly not in the manner of .ws being billed as "website."

I am Canadian and currently reside in Toronto, and I can assure you the .ca extension is very popular here, with a lot of major corps using .ca.

Miles
I'm not Canadian but I can second that :)

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by snoopy
Agree with bob's comments in the main; .us, .ws, .info, .cc .biz are all in the same leagure in my opinion - extensions for speculators only.

Agree with snoopy - and I don't even get what the .NET strategy is lol :sad: :laugh:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I am wrong. Maybe .us will be something, but I do not see it being big at all for at least 10 years.

Bob - superb post (from which the above quote is taken). I hope everyone reads it as it will spark some serious thought and discussion if nothing else. You had hinted a couple of days ago that you felt you had good reasons for buying up .nets over the last couple of years. I was hoping my question would get you to share some of your thinking and you more that obliged. I am pretty much in agreement with you throughout.

One post in this thread said .com will ALWAYS be king. Snoopy said .net will ALWAYS be seen as a second rate extension. Time may prove them right, but ALWAYS covers a lot of ground, and given the short history of the internet, I am not ready to concede that the course of TLD popularity has now been settled for all time.

.Com is on top, no doubt about it and if I have a choice I always want it. But just as car buyers go for different models based on their tastes and financial circumstances, I think a domain name dealer can find profits by offering options to buyers.

I bought a handful of .us domains within a week of when they came out. After a little more thought I would gladly give half of them back for a reg fee refund. The others I kind of like but I agree I am in for a long wait before I will know if they are worthwhile.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Duke,

Glad you got the info you were looking for. If you have any questions, just ask away. I will share my views any time.

-Bob

Originally posted by Duke of Earl

Bob - superb post (from which the above quote is taken). I hope everyone reads it as it will spark some serious thought and discussion if nothing else. You had hinted a couple of days ago that you felt you had good reasons for buying up .nets over the last couple of years. I was hoping my question would get you to share some of your thinking and you more that obliged. I am pretty much in agreement with you throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators