Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Name droping

Status
Not open for further replies.

ib4s

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i have just found out that a name is due to drop and prolley do to the fact that the past owner forgot to renew or somthing.

The name has been owned by them for over 4 years and a site was active, until they name expired.

My question is this, if i snag the name... could they take it back and how? i mean if the name is going back to the DB how could they make a claim on that name. Would the fact they let it drop show they had no further use for the name?

Look forward to the comments.

ib4s

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Holy smokes! Brad lives. Good to see you again. :D

-Bob

ib4s

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, im alive and back in black....hehe hey how about a few dnbucks so dont look like a newbie...hehe

also, what do you have to say about my question? can the chump attack me for taking his old name that he let drop?

Brad

debath

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ib4s!!!! Oh my - hello :)

Wouldn't you say that would depend on whether they have a TM or such?

I registered a dropped name a fair while ago and I received the following email from the past owner:

Dear Debbie

Greetings:

The domain name, ?????.com which you registered with enom on June 24, 2001 was made available to you as a result of omission by the former registrar who breached a verbal agreement to re-register the domain name pending the arrival of payment which was delivered at the company's mailbox two days after the agreement and four days before you registered this said domain name. The process of registration was already in effect when, in breach of verbal agreement and in bad faith, the domain name was deleted from the former registrar's files and became available. Right now, I will not speculate as to why and how you got this domain name, since I’’m still in the process of gathering the fact as to the motive for such abrupt behavior by the former registrar and your hurried actions to secure this domain name. My interest at this point, however is not to engaged in retaliatory legal action. All I want to do right now is to participate in a process of finding a way for resolving this dispute in a fair and amicable fashion.

Unless you secured the domain name for predatory financial gain or did so with malicious but gratifying intent, at this time, it should be of little consequence to you whether you keep the domain name or allow its return to me. I ,on the other hand, have a tremendous amount of good will and investment in the domain name to lose. I own this domain name for more than two years. It is not the best of names, but it is quite likable. Some of my colleges claimed that it is too long while other embrace it for its meaning. At any rate I was stuck with this name and I build a reputation as its owner. In all my business correspondents, I ended them by associating my identity with Http://??????.com

I’’m known around the world as the owner of the domain name: ??????.com. In all my business correspondence and advertisements, I use the name ?????.com. Coming up with an even better domain name is not difficult. I have 100s of such unregistered names in mind. And Im sure that you could come up with a few good ones yourself. There are more than enough good name ideas for all of us (Why so many people grab after other people's name ideas is beyond me). And so the insure is not with the quality or availability of names as we are often mislead to believe from the various hypes.

Many of the problems associated with domain names disputes, copyright infringements, trademark and trade names violations result from feeble minded people whose wells of creativity are so dammed up in lack that they must un shamefully steal ideas from others because they don't have the decency or creative intelligence to come up with their own. It is ironic how brilliant lawyers would devote their creative oratory skills in defense of such criminal of creativity. And I'm not refering to to you, I'm making a general remark. I know that I will ofend a lot of dishonest people by saying this, but I'm confident that if you are a person of integrity, you will agree. I operate from the premise that people are basicly good until they prove otherwise.

Like I said, my problem is not coming up with good names. The problem is that I 've already invested heavily in this domain name, including its logo, design scheme, and thousands of pages of copyrighted materials with reference to ?????.com and its name association with myself as part of my positioning strategy.

Therefore, I have a lot to lose by not having it back. And like I said, unless you secure the domain name for un-ethnical intent, you, on the other hand, have nothing to lose, save the time you spend securing the domain name and minor cost of registering it.

I would gladly reimburse you for the-out of pocket cost of registering the domain in exchange for a transfer back to me.

I trust that you will find my proposal fair and amicable and that you will accept my offer as my first preference for remedy in the mutual interest of both of us and all parties in connection with this disquieting situation.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly

Peace,
(signed by that person)

My reply was:

Dear Mr ?????,

Please contact whoever you believe made the mistake.

We bought this name because we believe it is a good name for our business and it was free to register.

Regards,

(signed my partner and I)

Indeed, I did not register this name with the intent of taking it away from anyone, I simply liked the name and thought it would come in handy in the future - this was a name I got on a snap-back too.

In all honesty, I considered returning the name to this person but I only considered this for a short time (perhaps I'm "feeble minded") :). I liked the name and I still do and one day, when I have some time and $$$, I will develop it properly.

Well, I hope this sheds some light on these things for you Brad.

By the way - I never heard back from the person after I replied to his email.

Deb :)
P.S. Good to see you here and I'll gladly donate some DN$ for you to boost you along.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You didn't do anything wrong anyway.
It was their fault - because they didn't renew early enough so they had to rely on VERBAL agreements.They could have avoided that if they would have renewed the name early enough- like a few weeks/months before expiry.
I like your answering to them,btw. :D

ib4s

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Debath,

Thank you so much for your kind words and help. This is what i thought and just wanted to have some support from the old gang. Wow i miss you guys.

By the way how is the domain business these days? with all the new extensions and stuff are you guys making a living? hehe like you were before...haha

Is the dot com bomb over? heck i guess thats a whole other question.

Well i look so forward to chating in the forums here, great job Gregr.

Brad
aka -ib4s

P.S whats all this stuff about registars becoming resellers of names and places like great domains going poof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators