Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Name for a Domain News Site

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With a background in journalism I have been thinking about doing a site with domain name news and information (not a forum - that is already done quite well here). I know there are already such sites out there but I think I could bring a fresh twist to it.

So I have been looking for a short memorable name...but they are hard to come by. As you know, domain is one of the most heavily regged words on the internet. One dropped tonight that caught my fancy. A reporter covers his beat, so I thought this name and slogan would be appropriate:

DotBeat.com
"Covering Domain News on Both Sides of the Dot"

(I am interested in good root words and terms on the left side of the dot as well as what is happening with current and future TLD extensions on the right side of it)

I know this name alone is worth $0 undeveloped so I am asking you to appraise it's suitability for the idea I have rather than its dollar value.

I never much liked the "Dot" names, but in this case I thought it worked. Please let me hear your opinions (and for those who have been waiting to get even with me for low appraisals - here is your chance!) :)

Domain summit 2024
K

kingdon

I asked my girlfriend what she thought and she told me to say the name out loud "Dot Beat Dot Com" (PBK) Psych majior. Now I'm new at this, but I could see myself having to explain to another person how to spell this name. It's almost like a brain teaser, ask a few people to spell it right after you say it to them, if they can well then I'm wrong, but if they look at you with one eye squinted, then that might be an indication of reactions to come. Sounds like a great idea, just not to sure about the name,

Don

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm puzzled by this. What word are you have trouble spelling - Dot or Beat? Neither looks too difficult to me. In fact I'm not sure I could mis-spell either one of them even if I tried.

Anyone else having this problem? If the name leaves people cold that is a definite red flag and I would rather know now than find out after I develop it!

To give you a little more insight, I am not thinking about another site loaded with statistics and long text reports. I would like to focus on the people in the business, what they are buying, what's happening with the extensions. Do some interviews, show pictures of people you see posting or read about all the time. I would like to put a face on this business.

It would kind of be like a cross between People Magazine and Billboard (a music industry trade paper with short but informative articles that keep you up to date on what's going on).

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
duke - check PM for a few suggestions....

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank Doberry. If anyone wants to PM suggestions or their impressions of this name - that is cool too. You guys are my test market - so I will put a lot of stock in what the majority of you think about it.

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think kingdon is suggesting that people might misinterpret the word "dot" as an actual dot, as in www..beat.com

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a name with beat is good.

I'm not a fan of dot in a name, even though in this case, the dot is referring to what the news is about, sort of.....still can be confusing, unless it becomes one word, like dotster.

dotregistrar is memorable, so maybe it will work!?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gourd - now I get it! Do others see this as a problem?

There are a bazillion Dot companies on the internet, many of them very successful for whom this doesn't seem to have been a problem, like Dotster and DotRegister just to name a couple.

I can be persaded to change my mind (its only a reg fee). I would like to see thumbs up or down from an many as possible so I can get a reasonable overview of the reaction. After all, you all will be my primary audience when this is online.

(I was writing when Doberry made his last post - I see he addressed Dotster, DotRegister).

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't really see it as a problem since you'll be catering to a domain-savvy audience.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you probably thought of this already... but just in case...

DomainNewz.com is available.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by greggish

grab it duke (In my opinion)

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice find for somebody....good eye greggish

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gourd
I don't really see it as a problem since you'll be catering to a domain-savvy audience.

I kind of thought that too Cynthia. It will essentially be a "Trade Paper" of interest to people in this field, so I thought it would work.

I really appreciate the input and some of you have PM'ed some good ideas too. Thanks! We'll let this run awhile and see if we reach a consensus. I could also run a poll with the top 4 or 5 choices in a couple of days and let the forum decide too.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I hadn't considered that one Greggish and though it sounds cool I have kind of painted myself into a corner on mis-spelled words :)

I just hammered Tippy a day or two ago on Thumbz! He would absolutely eat my lunch if I used this!

Since I want this to be a lighter more people and names (than stats) oriented site, it does have some appeal though. I'm jotting it down just in case!

(If someone else regs any of these suggestions - be cool and donate 20 DNB to the person posting them).

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about LatestNews.us? If you want it, I might be able to arrange for you to borrow it or something. Just let me know Duke...

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke, if DomainNewz.com doesn't suit you, and you said you want it to be "essentially a trade paper", this may be more to your liking...

URLJournal.com -- also available

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kvinsencius
How about LatestNews.us? If you want it, I might be able to arrange for you to borrow it or something. Just let me know Duke...

Thanks Kim! As you know I believe .US has a promising future, but for a primary site today I will probably try to go with .com. A big part of the audience will be those who don't know any other extensions exist - so they would never find it if I use something else! :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As you all are posting, would you also say yes, no or neutral on DotBeat.com? I want to know if it generates primarily negative connotations for people, or they are lukewarm or positive on it.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke, if DomainNewz.com doesn't suit you, and you said you want it to be "essentially a trade paper", this may be more to your liking...

URLJournal.com -- also available

Thanks Greggish, but I would have to modify that slightly of course to:

EARLJournal.com (and you guys don't want that do you!) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators