Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed NAMES.WS - Your Input Please

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK - I never expected to be looking at a decision like this - seriously considering using a .WS for one of my primary business sites. However, Names.ws became available and I took it. In my mind, "Domains" and "Names" are the two best words you could possibly have for a domain name reselling business. Obviously you would like to have one of those in something other than .WS but you have a better chance of winning the Powerball Lottery (5 weeks in a row)! "Names" is taken in virtually every extension in the world.

So, I am thinking about taking Names.ws on as the name for my domain sales business, replacing BrandsPlus.com which I have used for almost two years. I would redirect the .com to the .ws (there is a real switch for you)! I would like to know what you think about the idea. Also how you might brand Names.ws - for example, the Names Web Store, We Sell Names, etc.

For email I would use [email protected]. Subdomain possibilities are pretty cool too, domain.names.ws, baby.names.ws, etc. Believe me I know the .ws downside - ripped it plenty of times myself. There are only about 10 words in the world in WS I would actually consider using for my own site and this is one of them. I'm wondering if you think this was a special situation worth taking advantage of, or still a waste! Your honest opnions please - no offense will be taken. :laugh:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is Names.ws - corrected that one typo - thanks for catching it.

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tough one, but if anybody can make a success out of it, I'm sure it's you. :)

Best of luck.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rocket said:

Best of luck.

Thanks Rocket. It comes down to would it be better to have a fabulous root word that perfectly matches your business in a bad extension, or a mediocre 2-word name just to have it in .com. Both require branding to attract an audience so I don't see much difference from that standpoint. I haven't made up my mind yet - which is why I am asking for input.

Since this is an appraisal thread you can throw valuations in there too. .WS is a very tough sell, but I have sold three of them from $150-$350. I think this is better than any of the ones I've sold.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke, you already have a name that is established. I agree than names.ws is a good .ws, but i'm not sure what advantage it will bring you. Most experienced and pro buyers might look at it and think it's amature like.

It has a stigma attached to it that screams, "I couldn't find/buy a name for my business in a popular extention, so I took one from that domain hotbed "Western Samoa"" At least that's what I think when I see it.

I like the email idea but I wouldn't let it be a driving force here.

Your just now hitting the bigs with the DNJ and your business, don't go back to the minors.

It's a great catch for a reseeler/end user. Sell it.

Cheers,

Sharpy

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope to encourage you to do so. The more sites using .ws means more value to the extension. The simple fact is that many great names still remain for .ws. Your ideas for the name sound like you have already given it much thought. If you build it, they will come.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sharpy said:
Duke, you already have a name that is established. I agree than names.ws is a good .ws, but i'm not sure what advantage it will bring you. Most experienced and pro buyers might look at it and think it's amature like.

It has a stigma attached to it that screams, "I couldn't find/buy a name for my business in a popular extention, so I took one from that domain hotbed "Western Samoa"" At least that's what I think when I see it.

I like the email idea but I wouldn't let it be a driving force here.

Your just now hitting the bigs with the DNJ and your business, don't go back to the minors.

It's a great catch for a reseeler/end user. Sell it.

Cheers,

Sharpy

Thanks for your opinion Sharpy, I may heed it. That's the big downside - as good as the word is - the extension could very well over ride it. If someone else wanted to take the ball and run with it, you can PM offers to me. It is registered for three years (to 3/11/2007). I could also keep it for the email address or to use for a different site idea (like baby names or a different domain related site than my main sales site).

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it is a winner. And, I have jokingly offered to steal it from him for pennies.

I think it could be a great name if you come up with some creative use of the
.ws part. (With Service, World's SuperStore, etc.)

The old marketing rule - "make a negative into a positive".

And, Duke. My $ 25.00 offer still stands. :)

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why not get the best of all worlds and test the waters by working it in slowly. Redirect it to one of your sites. Start using the cool email addr as your primary means of correspondence. Guage the adoption rate and your comfort level, then take it to the next level. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
I think it is a winner. And, I have jokingly offered to steal it from him for pennies.

I think it could be a great name if you come up with some creative use of the
.ws part. (With Service, World's SuperStore, etc.)

The old marketing rule - "make a negative into a positive".

And, Duke. My $ 25.00 offer still stands. :)

Thanks Richard - especially for that $25 offer! I agree that if I did go down this road, the WS part would have to be integral in the marketing so people think of it as the term you want to put in their mind rather than Western Samoa! 1and1, the giant webhosting company, is using .biz in enormously expensive ads (16 pages in the March 2004 PC World magazine) because they think the unusual extension draws attention and breaks through the usual advertising clutter. That is one reason I am giving this some serious consideration. Elequa made a .TV site successful (mp3.tv).

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rocket said:

Best of luck.

Duke, having said what I said, there's no denying that Rocket is probably right.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
OK - I never expected to be looking at a decision like this - seriously considering using a .WS for one of my primary business sites. However, Names.ws became available and I took it.

An excellent name by all accounts. Obviously the C/N/O versions would be better, but as you state down below those versions were taken long ago and the .info version probably would be tough to get and might even be to "informational" sounding to brand well for commerical application.

Duke said:
In my mind, "Domains" and "Names" are the two best words you could possibly have for a domain name reselling business. Obviously you would like to have one in something other than .WS but that isn't likely to happen. "Names" is taken in virtually every extension in the world.

If Ritz Marketing has the singular version (which it does) then you know that you have a worthwhile .ws name on your hands. I say worthwhile because the word "names" can be used for so many types of businesses. (I'll throw in Business Cards in the mix here as in - Business.Names.ws)

Duke said:
So, I am thinking about taking Names.ws on as the name for my domainsales business, replacing BrandsPlus.com which I have used for almost two years. I would redirect the .com to the .ws (there is a real switch for you)! I would like to know what you think about the idea. Also how you might brand Names.ws - for example, the Names Web Store, We Sell Names, etc.

This is a tough call as to whether you should replace BrandsPlus.com with Names.ws for your main domain sales site. I wouldn't. I would use www.Names.ws (Names Web Store) as the MAIN "eye catcher" when you market your business. www.Names.ws definitely stands out better than "BrandsPlus.com", especially if I saw it in an ad. It would get my curiousity up enough to visit the site. Once the person logs on to www.Names.ws, they'd be redirected to "BrandsPlus.com". On your "BrandsPlus.com" site I would definitely have a "affiliate ad" for www.Names.ws (Names Web Store) whereby you'd would sell .ws domains to prospective business who be interested in getting a YourBusinessName.ws website address.

Duke said:
For email I would use [email protected].

This could also be used as an "eye catcher" in marketing your domain sales business.

Duke said:
Subdomain possibilities are pretty cool too, domain.names.ws, baby.names.ws, etc. Believe me I know the .ws downside - ripped it plenty of times myself. There are only about 10 words in the world in WS I would actually considering using for my own site and this is one of them. I'm wondering is you agree this was a special situation worth taking advantage, or still a waste! Your honest opnions please - no offense will be taken. :laugh:

Domain names are so under utilized as far as maximizing profits it's not even funny. This is what I would call the "perfect" subdomain-domain. Many, many possibilities which is one reason I rate this particular .ws name (if you are going to use one) very high. While using www.Names.ws to attract people to your main site, you could also affiliate the &%*#! out of www.baby.names.ws... The big prize though is www.domain.names.ws. That you could use to build another "domain" related site in of itself.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Forget it. Using a crummy, unprofessional name to sell great names - I see no logic in it. Stick with what you've got.

The name also implies that you only sell .ws domains.

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke, I think it will do just fine. I do in fact hope we make a believer out of you since your somewhat skeptical disposition toward .WS was known before.

Best of luck!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
izopod said:
This is a tough call as to whether you should replace BrandsPlus.com with Names.ws for your main domain sales site. I wouldn't. I would use www.Names.ws (Names Web Store) as the MAIN "eye catcher" when you market your business. www.Names.ws definitely stands out better than "BrandsPlus.com", especially if I saw it in an ad. It would get my curiousity up enough to visit the site. Once the person logs on to www.Names.ws, they'd be redirected to "BrandsPlus.com".

Thanks Izopod. Your post was very helpful. I think that is a better idea. Leave BrandsPlus.com in place and redirect Names.ws there. I could add a subtitle under BrandsPlus.com (like "The Names Web Store") and use them jointly. I actually did this with my first business. For over a decade I had a retail record store called Rock Island. Couldn't get RockIsland.com so I took MusicParadise.com and we put a slogan under Rock Island that said "A Music Collector's Paradise". After we closed the retail store to focus solely online, I changed the company name from Rock Island to Music Paradise, but during the brick & mortar days that original joint naming convention worked quite well. We had Rock Island "A Music Collector's Paradise" printed on coffee mugs, T shirts, etc. as well as all of our print advertising.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ed30 said:
The name also implies that you only sell .ws domains.

Using your logic then, www.enom.com must only sell .com names?? (in the eyes of those people not familiar with enom). Let's not get into over generalizations here. Something can be learned by all here by sticking to intelligent discussion. (Whether you are for or against .ws)

btw:

www.Names.ws - Appraisal

Short - 10 points
Easy to remember - 10 points
Commercial applications - 10 points
Extenstion - 5 points (keep in mind, lyrics.ws sold for 1K on afternic, so .ws is the best "alt extension" out there, so it at least gets a 5)

35 out of 40 is not that bad...

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great NAME duke - built your website , and in a couple of years - mark my word people would kill for that NAME... most dealer think shorttime - register today ,be rich tomorrow - what a dream - best of luck with it (and if you need more , i just started a sales post)- wolfis

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TrafficMonsterRRR said:
Duke, I think it will do just fine. I do in fact hope we make a believer out of you since your somewhat skeptical disposition toward .WS was known before.

Well, I'm still skeptical! That's why I am seeking a variety of opinions. However over the last couple of years I have learned that not everything people pass around as "fundamental truths" in these forums are actually true. We are a little too inbred here, parroting what others have to say rather than looking outside our inner circle to what might be happening in the real world marketplace today. As much as .biz is hated in here, unsolicited purchase offers from "out there" have started changing my opinion of it...as well as causing me to question some of the other axioms I have heard so often in the short time I have been in this business.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I forgot to thank you Duke. I think this is what DNF needs more of..."What if Questions". Especially when it relates to .ws. I have been pondering what to do with mine. I would like to get them up, but don't just want to slap a PPC page on them. I think they could be viable stand-a-lone sites or "eye catchers" to market with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators