Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm having an animated gif tool created as we speak. The problem is it currently doesn't work with Safari and possibly Internet Explorer. I'm looking for a way to activate the webcam feature without using flash.

Any suggestions?

Domain summit 2024

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm developing a website that allows users to create animated gifs. Sorry for not being clear.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, I would probably have used some sort of Flash based solution as well, and can't really help much as I'm not familiar with the tech.

And Flash apps are (in their downside) very finnicky and dependant on browser versions - and browser security permissions which vary greatly from user to user.

Sorry I can't help more.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is a jQuery plugin that may do the job.

http://www.scriptcam.com/

I already have a custom JavaScript solution that works well with Firefox. My problem is it doesn't seem to be compatible with Safari. I also haven't found a single non-flash based implementation that is Safari compatible.

OK, I would probably have used some sort of Flash based solution as well, and can't really help much as I'm not familiar with the tech.

And Flash apps are (in their downside) very finnicky and dependant on browser versions - and browser security permissions which vary greatly from user to user.

Sorry I can't help more.

It's all good. The idea was to avoid 3rd party applications like Flash so all users have the ability to use the application.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's all good. The idea was to avoid 3rd party applications like Flash so all users have the ability to use the application.

I would certainly avoid platform-specific solutions such as Flash (even if Adobe may tell you it's the most deployed plugin etc and bla) and look for a most-portable and platform-agnostic solution (I'm thing mobile here, amongst other thing) to have your app built.

Hope it works out!

Rob

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why not launch for Chrome, Firefox and IE now since Safari only has 5.8% market share.

Tell Safari users to enter email for notification on release and try to upsell them on a $20 piece of software in the meantime.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why not launch for Chrome, Firefox and IE now since Safari only has 5.8% market share.

Tell Safari users to enter email for notification on release and try to upsell them on a $20 piece of software in the meantime.

I think your 5.8% market share stat is specifically for the desktop Safari. Mobile Safari must have more of the market considering the saturation of iPhones and iPads.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think your 5.8% market share stat is specifically for the desktop Safari. Mobile Safari must have more of the market considering the saturation of iPhones and iPads.

Ouch, I am mistaking, way off, 54% for mobile...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ya, was looking at desktop only.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unaware of the scope of the project, but why not do it as a background process? Have a user upload a video and convert into GIF.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...mated-gif-conversion-using-php-shell-commands

May not be what you're trying to do though...

Great link! IMGFLIP.com will soon be my competition. :D

If my programmer can't figure out a way to make it work we'll have to explore other options. I'll definitely take note of your suggestion.

Thank you!

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Glad to help. If you went the JS route, I'm sure there would be a lot of competitors against you (stealing your code). Seeing the scope now and visiting their /gifgenerator, it looks like they use a background process to handle the conversion as well. Best of luck to you!

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Glad to help. If you went the JS route, I'm sure there would be a lot of competitors against you (stealing your code). Seeing the scope now and visiting their /gifgenerator, it looks like they use a background process to handle the conversion as well. Best of luck to you!

Is there anyway to protect my code? I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to programming.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PHP is server side, but not compiled... so hypothetically a hacker could steal your software. You can make it more difficult rather than use system commands in the PHP, run a bash file with some args instead, in another location. Then again, if someone wants it, they'll get it.

Other than that, Zend Guard is your best bet... tad pricey
http://shop.zend.com/en/zend-developer-solutions/zend-guard-annual.html

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
$600 per year is a little bit too much for this project. I don't even have a clear monetization plan yet lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators