Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

New Commer Needs Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pitt

I'm pretty new to the domain name trade (5 days old).

I would be needing advice on-

How to tell wether a name is a trademark?

If I ever had a sales how are payments made as I am living in Thailand.

What is a reliable domain registration site? Eg.. What If I got names like cars, computer etc.. what are the chances that the registrar will not rob it from me. As I live in Thailand to sue them would be a big deal.

Currently I don't have any really good names so I cannot judge my registrar. I have BanqueFrance.com and EducationK12.com which in my opinion is good.

Thanks.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Take some time and look through all the posts.. you will find a lot of helpful reading material.

List each of your questions separately in the appropriate categories..I think you will get more answers that way..

welcome..

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pitt ,

Since you live in Thailand , check for trademark registrations in your country. I hope you can do it online. If the trademark is not registered check http://www.uspto.gov/ for trademarks registered
in the US. If you are not violating any trademark in your country you can go ahead and book the name. But to be on the safe side also check US registrations. For example CocaCola may not be registered in Thailand. But that does not give you right to book it in Thailand. I am NOT a lawyer (thank God) so talk to an expert in
TM matters for full details.;)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, most key words are trademarked in some part of the world so you don't really know if you are stepping on a hot stone.

Check out http://www.wipo.org.uk (Garry Anderson) for a one person view on why tms are a joke and why on the internet, ICANN should establish a .tm for companies with trademarks.

Best thing always :-

1. Get your own tm if you can on that name.

2. Show good faith by developing that domain into a meaningful business

3. Have good lawyers on standby to advise you how to further protect your name if you can't get 1

This industry is full of speculators who are just hoarding names for resale. Possible 90%+ of all names have been hoarded with this in mind. Most speculators have too many great names and too little resources to seriously do 1, 2 and 3.

Given the situation, I believe that businesses will become increasingly familiar with reverse cyberjacking prompted by lawyers who are hospital chases and C & Ds will become a norm.

Bottom line, get ready to fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators