Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

New to the game - seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jaggyj

Hi,

Just got into *trying* to resell domain names. Opened account in Afternic.com before I found out that they're about to be unplugged. Of course, no mention of that on their site. Also noticed some shady bids with the same group of people bidding on each others domains. What's up w/ that?

Got a name listed on GreatDomains.com too, but don't think I'll ever be found. So far my venture in the DN reselling industry looks grim, but I'm not a quitter.

Been reading the posts. It *seems* like some folks are making money. I know I'm a johnny-come-lately, but IS there still money to be made? Are Afternic and GreatDomains worth the trouble or should I sell my names using some other venue?

What's Enom? What's DoDora and GoDaddy? Are these registrars? I still use verisign (netsol.com). Is Enom et al better?

Could use some guidance. Any feedback, both good and bad is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Best start is to continue what you are doing - reading and asking.

www.enom.com , and www.godaddy.com are registrars and dodora is a new on to me to. - just don't rush.

Check out the domain sales forum here - but it's reseller to reseller so prices are a bit lower than other place. Also visit the dnBuX auction for a litle shock :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a start, always have a nice landing page for your domain that makes the name stand out, and not one of those ugly search page thingies.

Second, you could do some advertising on Google Adwords with the key words that your domain speaks to. Webmasters are always checking their rankings on Google so you may get a few bites.

The problem with for sale sites is that it often attracts resellers more than real business buyers. So of course, the expected price will be much lower.

If you want list on :-

http://www.buydomains.com

or

http://www.domainsystems.com

or

http://www.sedo.co.uk

But I think the first 2 methods is the best way to grab in really interested buyers.

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is still money to be made if you do it right.

It's like any business.

Even a blind squirrel gets an acorn once in a while.

quack :D

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's not easy. But nothing inlife is. but.. it's sure a whole lotta fun.. Wish i'de not sold Zendora.com for th peanuts I did, after reading about DoDora.. hee-hee..

www.perfectname.com
www.NamesBuySell.com
www.xsnames.com

netsol/Verisign.. (are the bottom of the barrel in my opinion) overpriced, and under rated in regards to customer service. I use go daddy.

goodluck.

J

jaggyj

Thanks to all for the feedback. I'll keep pounding the DN pavement but won't be quitting my day job soon. I'll also check out the sites listed above. I welcome any other good and *useful* resources. Thanks. Peace!

uuallan

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by precana

Check out our web site. We offer some really great domain rates ourselves ($6.75 per domain, $6.35 if you tell three friends).

How many threads do you plan to post the same message in? Please don't waste people's time with your crap.

P

precana

I am under the impression that making a post to "domain reselling" is acceptable since I am in fact providing a service to domain resellers and registrars (and more importantly responding to someone who asked specifically, "who are go-daddy and Dodora"?

Perhaps, the real question we should ask here is this. Are we concerned with the nature of the post or the strength of the price?

Umm.

Precana T

uuallan

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by precana
I am under the impression that making a post to "domain reselling" is acceptable since I am in fact providing a service to domain resellers and registrars (and more importantly responding to someone who asked specifically, "who are go-daddy and Dodora"?

Perhaps, the real question we should ask here is this. Are we concerned with the nature of the post or the strength of the price?

You posted the exact same message in at least 5 threads, that is my problem. In addition, all of those messages are in violation of the forum rules:

"Members will not be allowed to promote thier own website/business outside of the Advertising forums, members will be warned and could also loose their forum membership if "spamming" on the forums where it is not allowed."

dataware

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Where does one draw the line between advise and spam....
???

It seems that since I have been on this Portal, some members are allowed to get away with "breaking the rules" while others become accused of "breaking the rules" who's all right.

:) :) :)

Lorenzo

P

precana

Sorry buddy you are gonna have to ask that question of the person that talked me down. I was told so now I'm a good little boy. chao. Welcome aboard.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had bad experience with enom. they wouldn't give up a transfer.

RegisterFly works good for me.
Quick regg time, accepts Paypal. Easy transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom