Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

domains1357

Hello,

I have a newbie question: What's the best registrar for registering domains that can be tranferred later without problems: (registrar that is cheap, reliable and allowes easy domains handovers so i could easily hand over some domain to other person):

- for .com/.net/.org
- for .biz
- for .info
- for .cc
- for .ws

Domain summit 2024

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
eNom

buy a $6.95 account from Doberry for $100 - it's well worth it

D

domains1357

Thanks a lot for info!

I'm not doing any business yet - just planning to start it in a week or so after i figure out everything.

And another question: i found several very cool .biz domains - is .biz worth buying?

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why eNom is so popular. If you are paying $100 for a $6.95 account, you need to reg more than 100 domains to get a saving over the $7.95 registrars. If you are reg'lng 100+ domains, the charge is $6.69 at OnLineNic and lower at some others. Transfers are free and easy there as well.

What is the appeal of eNom?

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"And another question: i found several very cool .biz domains - is .biz worth buying?"

Ah. The million dollar question ... though you're a newbie, this question cannot even be answered by the experts, truly. I think the general answer(s) you'd recieve would be "Yes". But it depends. How "cool" is it, or are they? What is the niche/market/target?? So many factors. Personally, IF you do register a ".BIZ", I would complement that registration with the corresponding ".COM". That is, for example, if you were to register "Widgets.BIZ", also get "WidgetsBiz.com" ... this is just my opinion, of course. Good Luck.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also think Enom is the best registrar. Great prices and loads of free services that the others charge you extra for like email and URL forwarding (very helpful if you want to point your domains to a for sale page). They also make it incredibly easy to move transfer names from one account to another. I think they are in a class by themselves and their growth rate shows that. I think you will find the majority of dealers here have an Enom account.

As for .biz, I would only buy them if you are going to develop them. Registry rules say you can't traffic in .biz names - you have to sell them with a business (otherwise they can take the name from you). I have seen very little resale activity in .biz as a result. Not a good extension for people who want to speculate on names only IMO.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>DomainPairs: If you are reg'lng 100+ domains, the charge is $6.69 at OnLineNic ...

I thought OnLineNic is from China!? :confused:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I boutght a name from someone who had it an OnlineNic. They said they could not transfer it to me at no charge - instead they paid to transfer it to an Enom account they had then transferred it to myEnom account at no charge (they were in the Far East so OnlineNic may be there).

D

domains1357

Thanks a lot for info, guys!

> As for .biz, I would only buy them if you are going to develop them.
> Registry rules say you can't traffic in .biz names - you have to sell
> them with a business (otherwise they can take the name from you).

Thank you very much for this warning. Hovewer that's not a problem because i'm an experienced web designer and programmer so creating a business for domain isn't a problem (just takes lot of time). But right now i'm looking for quick sales, so .biz will have to wait... Thanks a lot for info!

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by frontrowmktg
eNom

buy a $6.95 account from Doberry for $100 - it's well worth it

Thanks for the endorsement. Much appreciated.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
OLN is the sixth registrar I have used and I have found it to be the best and the cheapest. They are Chinese but I think most of their action takes place in California. I see the Chinese ownership as an advantage due to the way most large American companies seem to be disadvantaging non-americans at the moment.

Transfer is free from them, and since jan 1 there is no fee for registrant changes, or requirement for a 1 year extension for transfers between OLN accounts. They also now take paypal.

They charge $1 per year for URL forwarding and this is a nuisance as I seem to have massive alias lists on my servers.

If enom offered $6.69 reg fee for say 250 plus domains, I might consider changeing.

D

domains1357

> As for .biz, I would only buy them if you are going to develop them.
> Registry rules say you can't traffic in .biz names - you have to sell
> them with a business (otherwise they can take the name from you).

btw, what about .info domains - are there any similar restrictions?

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please visit www.affilias.info for more detailed information about restrictions.

cheers,
tw

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators