Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Newcastle.tv

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm sure someone from the old Toon would be interested. Why don't you approach the Magpies with a suggestion for a site which will show all of their games Pay Per View on the internet.

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I did approach NTL a while ago who were the sponsors of Newcastle United who had the rights to show the games on the net but I know that NTL have now I think sold their shares in Newcastle due to the financial trouble they are in.

I think I might give it another go.

When I get myself more familiar with web design I did intend to do a Newcastle website. Still have the ideal name.

Many thanks

Marco,

Something to bear in mind, the UDRP looks set to be extended to cover geographical locations and .tv is subject to udrp arbitration - so might be an idea to plan on sale sooner rather than later.

http://www.icann.org/udrp/udrp-policy-24oct99.htm

Every .tv and .com domain is subject to the UDRP - as it stands, it means if someone has a tm they can argue that the domain should be handed to them.

There has been talk of extending the UDRP to cover geographical locations, personality rights and tradenames.

If they go that route, it means that if newcastle council decided they wanted the domain - they could use the UDRP to have it taken from you.

Just a consideration for the long term.

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Since I have had it registered for over a year now it will pre date the new rules if they come in to force. Would this not just apply to names registered after the rules come into force.

I can hardly see I name being taken off someone, especially a place name which I presume cannot be trademarked since it does not belong to one particular person or company.

To your knowledge, has there ever been a domain taken from someone which consists mainly of a place name because I would like to look into it further.

Any further comments on this topic are very much appreciated.

Mark

P

President Gringo

If your afraid of loosing it due to those rules, then you should put up a quick page with some info. If you are using it, then its going to be hard for them to take it. If you purchased it for the purpose of selling it for a profit (or holding a company to ransom :D ) then they can take it from you.

I bet the idiot who owned madonna wished he had put up a fan club site, then maybe he might still be in possession of a very valuable domain.

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What was the story with Barcelona.com.

I have had a look at the UDRP Policy and I can't see any part which I am in breach of unless I make a site which infringes or violates the rights of any third party or it is was to be used for unlawful purposes.

Newcastle Council already owns Newcastle.com, they could trademark the name Newcastle.com but could not trademark the name Newcastle as it is a place name.

As far as I am aware, place names if used in a lawful manner are the only domains that UDRP could not touch.

I know the rules have been extended to cover geographical domain suffix such as .tv but actual geographical domain place names are covered the same as any other domain.

I am referring to the proposed *extension* of the udrp rules to include geographical locations. The current udrp rules should exclude them, but even so, barcelona.com was lost via udrp.

btw gringo, barcelona.com was a fully operating information site relating to the region - yet still lost. Thats the prob where there is no appeal/review process.

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for the advice.

I purchased this site with the intent to make a Newcastle web site because it is local to where I live.

I know that once I have more experience in web design I will be able to publish a very good site with loads of good info.

the .TV extension was the ideal one to go for since I am due to include an indepth site into the real Newcastle and not just the News and commercial side alone.

Apart from the local council site the other big Newcastle site is owned by a Newspaper so is obviously very commercial.

The site I intend will be more suited to the over 18's, which is something the others cannot do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom