Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed NewNet Names? whats your opinion?

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Personally, I think the new.net names will become secondary to the overture/oingo powered ppc search engine (quick!) that nn are running via their plugin. That was a work of genius revenuewise for them and it gave them access to the address bar type ins of the millions of people that have their browsers enabled (even though most won't know they have as its piggybacked with kazaa).

if they really wanted to help their names they would have them promoted wel ahead of the paid results (which are ironically .com etc) - but it is good that some users are reporting traffic to their nn names from this quick! initiative so maybe they can market on the back of that more.

L

lhague

You seem to know your stuff! and I guess judging by your profile an expert in the subject - Thanks

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
if they really wanted to help their names they would have them promoted wel ahead of the paid results (which are ironically .com etc)

safesys, if you're suggesting Overture should promote new.net names ahead of their existing paid listings, I would see this as being a big mistake.

IMO it would be seen as an unfair advantage given that Overture and new.net are the creation of the same firm, Idealab.

Bill Gross was a genius to create Overture, but new.net shouldn't have its fortunes boosted through its family connections, at the expense of its loyal advertisers.

If they did do this, I would drop Overture immediately and just rely on Google's paid listings.

urlguru

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys

if they really wanted to help their names they would have them promoted wel ahead of the paid results (which are ironically .com etc)

if this ever became the case... they would be ovewelmed with lawsuits, boycots and eventually closure. this would never happen.

urlguru

i'm talking about new.net posting new.net sites ahead of the paid overture results in their quick! results - not overture putting nn names ahead in their own results.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by lhague
You seem to know your stuff! and I guess judging by your profile an expert in the subject - Thanks

Ah, sorry Lynn--and nothing against Safeys, but he is an "investor" of new.net names. These names are actually 4th level "domains" BTW. www.example.new.net.

Here is my opinion on this (I am not an investor--hence straight facts).

I don't have a problem with New.net the company. I think they have gone much farther than anyone else who has tried a alternate naming system.

My problem with New.net is their concept. I think we can all agree that we should work in some sort of community framework, with checks and balances. As far as I know, New.net writes it's own policies, sets it's own prices, and even comes up with their own "names". And why not?? They are a business aren't they? What happens if a "competitor" comes out with a similiar name. You would want New.net to have competition wouldn't you???

This solution to provide more names in the namespace by way of private enterprise via certain ISPs is a "slippery slope". Mind you that is within their right to try and do so. They are a business. However what they do on the internet affects me and my business. I should have a say, but I don't. If we allow this concept to flourish, as I said many a times, why spend your time and money on your internet businesses if the system could get an influx of similiar like "domains". That is the key here...

However to each is own. I don't think New.net's concept will go anywhere. If it did, I would assume ICANN would protect the "A" root (and it's investors) by ensuring only "A" root names are seen.

izopod

P.S This topic is definitely open to discussion, in no way do my views represent a significant portion of the internet community. Each person has to come to their own conclusions so my best advice is to do your own research and come to your own conclusions. It is how I came to my point of view. Just wanted to throw that in there.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aiyaa.. Greg, let it go.

There are greater battles to fight, and bigger visions to fulfill. Btw... http://www.canoe.biz looks great, honestly, good use of graphics!

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
aiyaa.. Greg, let it go.

There are greater battles to fight, and bigger visions to fulfill. Btw... http://www.canoe.biz looks great, honestly, good use of graphics!

Thanks!

I promise to keep it to just this one post. I have no battles here or with New.net. I like the company, but not their concept is all. and wanted to share that.

Good luck to you sir!!

izopod

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
blah, I am not sir :mad: Have you been drinking bong water???

But your articulation of new namespace is pretty impressive on the icann.org forum. I take notes for my own personal use :evil:

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
blah, I am not sir :mad: Have you been drinking bong water???

But your articulation of new namespace is pretty impressive on the icann.org forum. I take notes for my own personal use :evil:

I call everyone sir... my military background...however I will just stick with "mole" and be correct 100 % of the time!!

take care just the same!

izopod

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Greg. Your posts here have been great and thought provoking. .biz may die like .tulavi, and .cocoasisland, and .belize and .westernsamoa, but I think not. These are ICANN's first gtld babies, a very painful birth fraught with shmoo. But a very meaningful birth after 17 years of abyssmal suspension of gTLD development.

Welcome to the new internet. :)

Originally posted by izopod
Ah, sorry Lynn--and nothing against Safeys, but he is an "investor" of new.net names.

Not sure what gave you that idea, i'm not an investor in new.net domains - i've looked at them many times and there are things i like and things i don't.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
new.net names are a total waste of time. Better to flush your money down the toilet, or just send it to me. You'd be equally well off.

When's the last time you saw a website on tv with a new.net address?

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For website development, New.net names can work. For resale. not.

Bill Gross is turning to robotics for his future.

quack :D

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For development purposes, new.net are near useless. Who would want to use a domain that cannot be used by a large percentage of Internet users. Any wise businessman would opt for a .com/.net/.org/.us/etc that is globally recognizable.

As a professional, would you print your @new.net e-mail address on your business card?

No.

Would you run a radio or TV commercial advertising your new.net URL?

No.

Can you get any search engine placement with your new.net?

No.

On the contrary, new.net names are only good for conning speculators and unknowledable Internet newbies.

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree. New.net's to me are nothing more than an interesting diversion. The idea of them being a serious and complete "business" solution seems completely BIZARRE to me. As a consultant, I would NEVER recommend any company I work with to look for a New.net domain name for almost ANY reason(exceptions below).

I applaud the attempt, but I also feel sorry for the people looking at the "numbers" and "percentages" of installed users of New.net and thinking "opportunity for a new cool NAME registration". A friend of mine sold some valuable .com's and afterwards, actually thought it was a cool idea to reserve NEW.net versions of his domains. It bugged me everytime he talk about it (sell your .com, fine, but don't equate them with these names).

To date, I've never had a successful installation of their software plug-in, and don't exist in their ISP sphere of influence. While I completely think the technology is interesting, I feel it is a serious distraction for people looking to accomplish primary branding on the Internet.

That said, its possible New.net can be used for *exposure* by piggy-backing on any promotional programs or New.net specific advantages with an existing website with a solid ICANN root strategy.

~ D.

Originally posted by -RJ-
For development purposes, new.net are near useless. Who would want to use a domain that cannot be used by a large percentage of Internet users. Any wise businessman would opt for a .com/.net/.org/.us/etc that is globally recognizable.

As a professional, would you print your @new.net e-mail address on your business card?

No.

Would you run a radio or TV commercial advertising your new.net URL?

No.

Can you get any search engine placement with your new.net?

No.

On the contrary, new.net names are only good for conning speculators and unknowledable Internet newbies.

Yup.

Miles

L

lhague

I have been reading all comments with great interest, thanks for your feedback it has certainly been food for thought

DomainSage

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Safesys, Idealab would not put new.net domains overture search results for the simple fact, there is more money to be made with ppc. As for the new.net names to cathch on to the general public it will take a lot of deals and at the most it will similar to what RealNames was. It will never replace domain names and will never make it "huge." Overall it is a big legal scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators