Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

No More .ORG Drops Starting Sat. Jan. 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ReaNames pointed out in another thread that he has been notified by SnapNames that there will be no .ORG drops for 2-3 months starting Saturday (Jan. 25).

PIR takes over the .ORG registry from Verisign on that date. They will suspend .ORG drops while they formulate a policy on how they will handle expiring .ORG names in the future. They say drops will stop for 60-90days in the meantime.

How do you feel this will impact the market? My guess is it will push premium .ORG prices higher in the short term at least. Since you will not be able to replace your premium .ORG names through drops once you sell , I plan to hold out for better prices on mine. I had a good year with .ORGs last year and now there will be fewer on the market for buyers to choose from.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you think they will change the pricing for .org extension?

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've also had great success selling .ORG names - and this should only make it better.

WOOHOO!!!!!! :D

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree Duke and Popper, I also feel it will make org's appreciate in value, though some members have said the opposite in the other thread I started on this. I have lots of org names so overall the news is good. What do others think?

Oddly, that .org name I had the Snap on (and the one they wrote me about), was expiring on Jan 25th., the same date that drops are suspended. Strange timing.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does this mean we're going to see a lot of .ORG's drop over the next few days...

RMF

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A lot of people in America don't realize - but many countries outside the US - see .ORG as more valuable then .net names. (In some cases - even on par with .com)

I myself have benefited from this revelation of information - and will continue to do so! :)

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SO what is this saying...

I have a snap on a .org that just expired the 17th but has not dropped yet? Will the suspend that for 3 months or will the drop it sooner??

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Shaggy I'm not sure either. It appears we all learned about this at the same time. I'm surfing around right now trying to find more information. I guess we could contact Snap and ask them directly.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wonder if its better to register .ORG's now, or after the 25th. What do you think?.

RMF

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper.com A lot of people in America don't realize - but many countries outside the US - see .ORG as more valuable then .net names. (In some cases - even on par with .com) I myself have benefited from this revelation of information - and will continue to do so! :)

Same here, I have been saying that about org for ages but few seemed to agree, with most claiming net was much better.

Org also has 2 other cool benefits which are not widely known or understood.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
do you all think that we should register .ORG now or after 25 th Jan ?

Same question with RMF. :D

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't register any .ORG at any time... you should buy a few names from me :D.

Seriously, I think it depends on any policy change from the .ORG registry. Say *IF* the grace period for domain renewal is extended, forgetful admins would have a better chance and people have more time to consider renewal, there might be fewer drops. The price of .org domains might increase.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, how can PIR prevent individual registrars from dropping domains?

I'm not saying they can't, it just seems like a big ask.. Anyone else thinking the same thing?

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's no change in wholesale pricing of .org names, or who can register them (it's open to anyone, not just non-profits). That was one of the conditions for the new registry operators of .org.

The registry operator, in this case PIR for .org, just won't release names where the registrar has hit the 'delete' button (the name will leave the zone file, but any attempt to add it would fail). I assume it'll be on registry hold, just like the 30-day Redemption Grace Period coming January 25th for com/net.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
George.....

So do you think that if we have a Snap on a name right now - but the name doesn't drop until after the 25th - that we still have a good chance to get it?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper.com
George.....

So do you think that if we have a Snap on a name right now - but the name doesn't drop until after the 25th - that we still have a good chance to get it?

Not to answer for George, but the letter from Snap that RealNames quoted in his thread said if you hold a Snap on a .ORG they would automatically extend your Snap subscription on the name to make up for the 2-3 months PIR suspends release of dropped names. Of course no one knows what PIR's final policy will be on releasing names. Will be interesting to see.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just as Duke suggests. The only thing that will happen with both the .org and the Redemption Grace Period's effect on com/net is that more domains will get renewed, and so fewer names would actually drop.

boychik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to reg some expired .orgs for the last week and when I check the whois at netsol I get error message.

A lot of great ones, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom