Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

noooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jei

I'm so sad/mad. I was tracking this one name for a month, and I knew it was gonna expire sometime this week, when the whois changed saying that thing where it cannot find the db. So, I figure maybe I could register it manually, since snaps were a wee bit to expesive for me, but then I saw that $49 deal few days ago and so I bought a snapback on the name (5 char long .com).
Anyway like for the past 3 days I kept checking the whois over and over and kept going to the registrar to try to register it when it would finally drop and low and behold someone else snatched it (someone from russia). I never ever saw a screen where I had the opportunity try to get register it myself. I am just really bummed because it would've been the perfect name for my own personal site (if you really wanna know the name you can PM me).
Well, this is just me lamenting but I guess I knew in the back of my mind i might not have been able to get it since (after lurking around this place) I found there are people that do this domain thing professionally, but I really thought I had a chance. You think if I asked the new owner (he reg'd it yesterday) if I could buy the name from him to be inappropriate?
Oh well, you can ignore this thread if you want, just wanted someplace to get my feelings out. :D Kinda sad for a first post, but on a positive note, this forum is very informative! I do not know a lot but reading here and there I have learned things I never knew before about domains.

D

dkny

if it's a good name, there would be many people follow it and your chance would be slim.

of course, you can make him an offer for the name. he is probably a speculator. unlikely that a company who is eyeing for a domain will grab one, because they know nothing abou this game.

by the way, welcome to DNFourm

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That always sucks when you find out you didn't get the domain you wanted. Expecially if you intended to develop it, rather then try and sell it. I've missed out on a lot of cool names that I had a snapback on. When you see someone registered a domain you wanted, the one word that comes to my mind is "D'oh!".

RMF

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It happens to the experts to even after they learn to fine tune their methods. if you wait another few months - and don't mention the domain - it might drop again. Also look if the person who baught it has a domain sales page - the price might be right.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sigh. Precious time wasted again chasing the pie in the sky when you could be developing something profitable.

Bring on the WLS now!

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that jei. It happned to me a few times in the beginning. That is how I started in the drop game. :D

-bob

FM9000

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would watch it for a couple of days more before contacting them. A lot of names get registered for a couple of days to check the traffic. If the traffic isn't worth it they will then delete the name within the first 3 days and get a refund.

mysterydoc

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thank You DNWiz for a tip.Never though this could happen, but logic enough it is.

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess this eventually happens to everyone who is immersed in domain names.

I lost my sir name, which is Griffin, thanks to NSI.

quack :mad:

netznutz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DNWiz: which registrar refunds you within 3 days?

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DNWiz
I would watch it for a couple of days more before contacting them. A lot of names get registered for a couple of days to check the traffic. If the traffic isn't worth it they will then delete the name within the first 3 days and get a refund.

When DNWiz says 'watch it', he means by checking the whois records, not by frequently typing the domain name into your browser to see if anything is up there yet :D

FM9000

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kunkrab
DNWiz: which registrar refunds you within 3 days?

I don't think that any of them will let you do it on a regular basis, but they can do it. A few times I have been able to get a domain deleted. For example, a couple of weeks ago I had someone register 2 domains for 10 years. They said that they meant to register the second one for only 1 year. Although you can't change the length of registration, I was able to have it deleted and then reregister it for 1 year. eNom was the registrar. They believed, as I did, that the charge would probably be contested. I don't think that they will do it very often for a typo or anything like that.

I believe that the registry rule is that registrars have 3 days to delete a domain and get it refunded. I think that the people registering them and then deleting them in a couple of days either work for the registrars or have special arrangements. I have seen this happen a number of times.

FM9000

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz

When DNWiz says 'watch it', he means by checking the whois records, not by frequently typing the domain name into your browser to see if anything is up there yet :D

You're right, I didn't mean to type it into your browser. I never thought about it before, but you have a good point that typing it into your browser wouldn't motivate anybody to let a domain go :)

J

jei

Hi again,
I was told domains have to be 60 days old before than can be transferred, so even if the owner decided to sell it to me, I would still have to wait 2 months?

FM9000

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jei
Hi again,
I was told domains have to be 60 days old before than can be transferred, so even if the owner decided to sell it to me, I would still have to wait 2 months?

There is a registry rule that a domain can't be transferred away from the original registrar in the first 60 days.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with selling....

You are mixing up "owner" xfer, and registrar xfer.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jei
Hi again,

Registrant changes can happen any time.

Registrar transfers have to wait until the 61st day.

-Bob

FM9000

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by doberry
Has nothing to do with selling....

You are mixing up "owner" xfer, and registrar xfer.

I'm not sure if you are responding to me or jei. I certainly understand the difference, I was trying to explain what the rule is because a lot of people misunderstand it. You have explained it in plainer English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators