Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

OnlineNIC.com's Hidden Charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello friends,

I'm posting here my experience with OnlineNIC and their reseller and looking for your help about this matter.

I registered a domain on behalf of my client through a reseller of OnlineNIC. I know the reseller for quite sometime, but don't have any business relationship with him. He's also in web hosting business, and I have not found him very ethical from my experiences.

So, I gave him my name and address to register the domain, to safeguard myself, so that he cannot contact my client for anything--with an intention that I change the details (I do this with OpenSRS), when I get access to the domain manager.

After I got the access to the domain manager, I found that I could change all the contact details and even the registrant's address and email address, but NOT the registrant's name.

So, I replaced all the possible details with my client's and contacted the reseller to change the registrant's name. He replied me that it would cost me $40 (!!!). He was serious and informed me that OnlineNIC charges that amount.

I went to OnlineNIC's site and gone through each and every page, including the FAQs. In the FAQs, about how to change domain registrant's details, it is clearly mentioned that all details can be changed. But no price was mentioned for doint that.

So I contacted OnlineNIC's support through ICQ. She also admitted that there's a charge of $30 to change registrant's name.

Secondly, the domain manager that the reseller gave me, was of his own and private and that does not work in association with OnlineNIC's domain manager, ie, the password I set for accessing the domain manager of the reseller, I cannot access OnlineNIC's domain manager using that. Also, the private domain manager of the reseller does not update the values in the fields, though it updates actual WHOIS information.

Neither OnlineNIC nor the Reseller have talked about this $30 or $40 charge for changing registrant's name in publicly accessible pages in their websites.

So my questions are :

(a) Is it legal to charge any amount to change registrant's name, when it is not put in the publicly accessible pages in the domain registrar's and the reseller's websites?

(b) Can a reseller use a privately managed domain manager and does not give proper access to the actual domain manager of the registrar?

(c) Should OnlineNIC take actions against the resellers? If yes, what kind of actions do you think they can take?

(d) What legal actions my client and I can take against OnlineNIC for refusing changing registrant's name by the current registrant himself if $30 is not paid?

(e) Can we complain it to ICANN? What kind of actions can ICANN take against OnlineNIC and the reseller?

Thanks for your time...

and beware next time you register a domain through OnlineNIC.

Regards

EssEss

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
He can change it through his account for Free and give you a domain password to use at :

https://www.onlinenic.com/cgi-bin/english/correct_domain_new.cgi

But yes he can also change it back again !

My advice is to transfer it to Enom Reseller account in 60 days for $6.95 +

If he doesn't give you the admin contact - then sue him.

In theory OnlineNic can charge what they like - ICANN don't care.

Whois-Search is correct. I know Go Daddy used to charge for domain ownership but because of dissatisfaction with their customer’s they have changed it to a free service.

I would take Whois's advice and transfer after the 60 day mark. At Go Daddy and eNom you may change ownership as you please.

Tough lesson, but, registrars (especially resellers) typically don't tell you up front as to what their going to charge you for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators