Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Persona Non Grata At Host Gator - Other Hosting Ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I was happily at Host Gator for four years and then my credit card expiration date changed. I tried to update my card twice (in one night) but their system wouldn't take it for reasons that I don't know. Long story short, they suspended my account and now I'll have to pay about $60 (for nothing) to reinstate it which I am not willing to do. They are a good host but they are quite unforgiving. I recommended them to many people and paid them for four years so I am not happy now.

I had my domains list site there plus one other low traffic site. I do need to put those back up for what little value that they have plus, more importantly, I need to do more development.

I hate to go with Go Daddy as they siphon just about everything else off of me and God only knows what marketing tricks await there. I saw an ad from FatCow.com. Are they any good? Other ideas?

Thanks!

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am happy with www.bluehost.com I use a few different, and have never had any issues with them.

PM if you want an affiliate link ;)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been using HostMonster and my only complaint is that their spam filter sucks (if there even is one) and I always get a pop up when I log in for their own spam filters (at an extra charge, that is).

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been using HostMonster and my only complaint is that their spam filter sucks (if there even is one) and I always get a pop up when I log in for their own spam filters (at an extra charge, that is).

Why not forward the website emails to gmail which does a better job of dealing with spam?

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is as much fun as selecting a cellphone provider! It would seem that Blue Host, Host Monster (same company?), Just Host (that girl on the front page is w-a-a-a-y too happy!), and Fat Cow all require that you transfer your primary domain to them or register a 'free' domain with them. Host Gator doesn't require this. I like to control my names. I have seen clients names register by Blue Host 'for a client' - but in Blue Host's name in various Who-Is searches. I really don't want to transfer a name to any of these guys. I don't see why I can't just point the DNS servers to the host. I don't really want the host to control my name. Is that a valid concern?

I had no actual problem with Host Gator as a host but don't understand their 'law and order' stance regarding my credit card expiring. As of now, reisnstatement will be roughly $50. I was there 4 years before this happened in August. My sites aren't very important but I should have a domains list up, etc. These guys go to so much trouble to recruit customers in a highly competitive business and then don't seem to be that interested in keeping them.

BTW - The http://WHT.us link no longer functions. I think that this, maybe was a short cut to WebHostingTalk.com. I went there and noticed Shark Space there. Like Host Gator, they don't require that you host your domain with them. There is also no 'free' domain and the packages limit your bandwidth. While it seems counterintuitive, I like that. I noticed disclaimers at Fat Cow' about their 'unlimited' bandwidth and disc space. They have the right to limti these if you use beyond what a 'normal personal or small business website would use'. That isn't really 'unlimited' If it were, ebay should set up a mirror site at all of the unlimited places for under $10 per month!

Shark Space is just $4.98/month for 20,000mb storage and 500gb transfers using the code '50forlife'. I found this at WebHostingReview.com. Thoughts or experience? At the moment, I like this one (pre-actual experience, of course!).

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bluehost does not require you to have your main domain registered with them. None of my names, including the primary, are registered with them. I think in the sign up, they mistakenly use the word "transfer" to mean pointing the domain to the server.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bluehost does not require you to have your main domain registered with them. None of my names, including the primary, are registered with them. I think in the sign up, they mistakenly use the word "transfer" to mean pointing the domain to the server.

If you have any input there, I would mention it to them. 'Transfer' has definite connotations to those of us in the domain biz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom