Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

PR question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Will it be fine if an e-commerce site does a link exchange? In other words, I sell products on my site, and I'm attempting to increase my PR rank. Google won't penalize me for doing this right? I'm just thinking about having a "Partners" link in the footer with some sites.

Also -- does it hurt to exchange links with sites which are unrealeted to yours?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Daniel

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

I'm not sure about linking to unrelated sites, but I have seen a lot of online store websites that have a "partners" section with links to other companies and services that would be of interest to their clients. I am pretty sure that you will not get penalized for doing that.

Another thing you can do is submit your site to several high PR link directories :)

Keyboard Cowboy

Positioning / Publishing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go right ahead and do you "partners" section, you will be fine - better in fact if you can get some ecommerce backlinks in the process :D

But try to keep it as relevant as possible.

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dan said:
Will it be fine if an e-commerce site does a link exchange? In other words, I sell products on my site, and I'm attempting to increase my PR rank. Google won't penalize me for doing this right? I'm just thinking about having a "Partners" link in the footer with some sites.

Also -- does it hurt to exchange links with sites which are unrealeted to yours?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Daniel

No you won't get penalized for this, well to be safe do a whois check and make sure they are not blacklisted, otherwise if the site linking to yours has higher PR than your site it a win for you. Better that it be related, but the weight will still count.

Having a links page could work out well, but I don't like to trade links with a "links page" . I prefer my link to be on the homepage or a page with some PR or traffic. Otherwise ....What's the point?.....

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, cursal is right. As long as they aren't blacklisted, any backlinks are better than no backlinks. But a backlink is only as strong as the page it's on. Better to have a small "partners" box with 10 links site-wide, or at least homepage, than to have a "links" page with 100 links. Anyone who understands pagerank, and has a strong ranking page themselves, will not be interested in exchanging links with you if you're going to put them on some backwater page that no spiders/humans ever visit.

clasione

DNForum.com Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You should fine with a partners section, just choose your links as best as possible.. Try not to link to any sites that look spammy or are blacklisted. On theme ofcource will be better but it should not effect you negitively if they are all atleast decent sites.

webd

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google won't penalize me for doing this right? I'm just thinking about having a "Partners" link in the footer with some sites.

Reciprocal linking should only be done sparingly and with sites that are on a closely related topic and that aren't spammy.

It's better not to link to them from the footer, especially a site-wide footer.

Make a couple of "resources pages". Make them useful to visitors. Don't make all the links on the links pages reciprocal. Internally link to the links page from just a couple of sub-pages, not every page on the site.

nikniknik

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, cursal is right. As long as they aren't blacklisted, any backlinks are better than no backlinks. But a backlink is only as strong as the page it's on. Better to have a small "partners" box with 10 links site-wide, or at least homepage, than to have a "links" page with 100 links. Anyone who understands pagerank, and has a strong ranking page themselves, will not be interested in exchanging links with you if you're going to put them on some backwater page that no spiders/humans ever visit.

Actually I have seen partner page links which were recognized by google as being very strong and relevant. I don't know why, but a partner page backlink from a valuable domain can help a lot.

Question #1: What reason is there to do reciprocals other than with link directories?

Question #2: won't an external from the home page cause more "SEO value decrease" than an inner-page external link?

suggestion: instead of creating a "partners" page, just add a few content pages. Even if you offer 10 links and more from each page, the linking is still more contextual than any partners page.

webd

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Better to have a small "partners" box with 10 links site-wide, or at least homepage, than to have a "links" page with 100 links.

I would be careful about adding a box of sitewide text links. I think it's safer to make a links page(s). I wouldn't put them in the footer either.

A few reciprocal links can help, but don't overdo it.

You will see many sites with "link exchange" pages, but check the dates on those pages. They are probably older sites.

Add a blog with good content about your products/company and hunt down one-way links.

The Leader

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No.... dont ever do that ;) rather try to get link from relevant websites and do link few website which are related to your niche.

Why can't the links come from non-relevant websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom