Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

PRESS RELEASEs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am looking into PRNewswire for press releases

Even though they seem a bit expensive at $750 a pop - I hear they are the best

Anybody have any advice writing PR's ?

This will be my first crack at writing one and maybe somebody here as some tips ?

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just a thought here but why do you not write a press release and email it to specific relevant reporters at newspapers and tv stations as a first attempt? It may save you some $$$'s!

If one of them does pick it up you get free advertising, if not the chances are that they would not pick it up from the press releases anyway (there are thousands upon thousands of press releases issued every week). At least this way there is more chance a reporter will read your email. My advice would be to look for reporters who have done stories in the past on similar items.

Hope all goes well no matter what you decide to do.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This may sound ignorant but . . .

Whats the difference btwn a PR that is "picked up' and one that isnt ?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Picked up" - if you write one and send it to someone and they use it (say a reporter for a web-zine) then they "picked it up".

Billbo's way may have the lowest amount of exposure but it might have the best results since you would be targeting specific people for that niche as opposed to sending it out to dozens of unrelated sites.

themew

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are some great software packages that are MUCH cheaper than paying for a press release service.

The software walks you through the writing of the release and you choose from a LONG list of categories and outlets to send your release. The software is updated through the internet with current email addresses covering every major newspaper and tv network to local papers and related bloggers. You target which agency's receive your PR rather than pay a PR firm a bunch of money to send it to people that either don't care about your PR or firms that simply discard it.

Seems like money well spent and with a much better receiving audience.

There are several of these packages out there... Use Google to look at the various packaged and prices, check the reviews and send out your PR.

Best of luck!! :)

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A very good question.

What generally happens is that your press release is issued on the 'wire' (actually via internet these days) and news papers, tv stations, radio stations, and even internet news outlets these days then briefly scan all the incoming press releases from the agencies. This mass of press releases will include all things from 'A cat survives nine years stuck in drain', 'New bad breath treatment found', 'New car seat design to be released at Atlanta car show', 'Death of honey bees could cause millions to starve', 'GM auto manufacturers lose $4.2 billion', 'New manager announced of local football club', 'Olympic synchronized swimmer wins $5million dollar damages for scratch on face', 'Domainer selling domain for $75,000 will revolutionize internet', 'Lottery winner leaves $20 million to cat', etc., etc.. There are literally thousands of these a day.

The chances of your press release being read past the headline is quite small, even smaller is it that someone will actually read the whole press release, and of those that do the chances are extremely slim that they will run a story on your press release. So if your press release is not picked up by the news and used (this is what 'picked up means) in effect your money has been wasted.

This may sound brutal, but let me assure you I learnt the hard way. It is generally a waste of money unless you have a very good public interest story behind your press release. I can hand on heart tell you that you stand more chance if you find a reporter who has writen on the subject before and email them your story, especially if you follow it up afterwards by telephoning them and nudging their memory. It will also cost you a lot less. If the reporter does write it up then you are much more likely to have other papers and tv get interested in the story as they avidly read and watch all other newspapers and tv stations for stories so they are not left behind.

Sorry this has been such a long post, but as I say I have learnt the hard way, literally $xx,xxx's of dollars the hard way, and I do not want another domainer to get suckered.

If I can be of any other help please do not hesitate to PM me.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank You so much

VERY informative

I will PM you later

Thanks again

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You don't have to pay for a press release to get good results. You can use Wire Service Press Releases for free. Submissions there make it to all the same news agencies and Internet news feeds as the pay ones.

If anyone wants to use this resource and has any questions just hit me up by PM. :eek:k:

GuestPostShop

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You need to think first: why do you need a PR and what are you going to obtain by submitting it?

Do you think a PR will bring you the first clients? The answer is 95% NO, as Bill said there are thousands released weekly.

Nowadays we submit press releases for SEO purposes and to look professional on our future clients eyes when they search for our company.

I can help you out with submission, basically I have gathered around 60 free press releases websites and I submit manually, we charge around 1$ per website, so is like a free submission isn't it?

Just drop me a PM if you would like to further discuss. Thanks!

I am looking into PRNewswire for press releases

Even though they seem a bit expensive at $750 a pop - I hear they are the best

Anybody have any advice writing PR's ?

This will be my first crack at writing one and maybe somebody here as some tips ?

GuestPostShop

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
O my God, I am so stupid. I am new to this forum.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

I was just looking around an tried to post some useful comments around here.

Thread is more than 2 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators