Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Re: Yahoo Expired Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any free yahoo domain expiry scripts, apart from "Yahoo Expired Domain Finder v1.0", which only lets me search through 1 category at a time. I _think_ I am wasting my time searching through each category individually - does anybody know of a free script which searches through all (or at least main categories, not sub) of yahoo and gives a whois report? Do the pro's have every domain name listed in yahoo in a database watching for when they are going to expire..? Is it difficult to pick up a domain in yahoo without using snap, expirefish etc? thanks for any help

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

I don't think there is a free script to do what you need. Else everybody around the world will run it and render it useless. There are some commerical tools like Yahtool, Popular Domains, Domain Retriever though.

I do keep track of some high traffic domains and the expiry dates myself. I don't share this "database" for obvious reasons :D.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get a Yahoo domain. For example, midwestunderground.com is still available as of this moment. But for those really high traffic domains, better use a drop catching service as you said. Hope this helps.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yahtool is useless. Waste of money.

Try droppal.com and run your domains there. It will tell you if they have a link @ yahoo and dmoz. Cost me $5 and I still haven't used it up after 2 months.

It's also extremely fast.

PS I have no interest in droppal I just use them

DropWizard.com

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Deleted by luc. Wrong thread. sorry :(

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gmartfin
Yahtool is useless. Waste of money.

As the developer of YahTool, this concerns me. Why do you say it's useless? It works great, I think. It's very small in size , yet very powerful. I don't provide expired domain name lists like others do, nor does it check link popularity, but this is what keeps YahTool much less expensive.

Have you upgraded to version 2.0?

You can upgrade for free at http://www.yahtool.com

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameGuy,

Yahoo begun the BAN ips about 3 weeks ago, so this is
a fairly new problem

We faced a similar problem with Domain-Retriever which
was fixed in a day. Now, it is impossible to get banned from
Yahoo or Dmoz by using DR.

Last time I used YahTool, it did have some severe stability
issues but for a product of its time (one of the FIRST domain
seeking tools), it was actually quite good and VERY ORIGINAL.

Thanks,
Luc L.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes. I agree it does have some stability problems. It would quit working for a couple of days and then restart. No rhyme no reason

Repeated installs and uninstalls didn't cure it. A change of operating systems didn't cure it.

Downloading new versions didn't cure it.

Your response to my emails were to suggest another piece of software was interfering with it. Horse pucks

I also note my request for a refund was ignored.:mad:

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmm. but you liked DR gm?

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you're gonna love namesniper.

it is TRULY going to be an amazing tool.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
very very soon. tomorrow afternoon maybe.

i'll set you up with a beta account.

S

sachd

yahtool v2.0 does not work with Windows-98. Despite the site clearly stating that it is compatible with with windows 98.

Old version was working file during trial on windows-2000 but when I went to yahtool.com to pay and register my copy I found this new version and downloaded it to check it out.

Tried it on 8 different PCs in my office but always get same error dialog boxes.

I have already marked an email to yahtool support today. But as a software developer I think that sharewares should be tested on all operating systems before making it available to people.

Hello!

I can talk only one - with any client based software it not possibly to find many domains - may be one or two only.

Main reason is here - internet speed across end-user and yahoo/whois servers. Also here real ability to be banned.

My tips for you is using services or server-side scripts for this purpose which MAINTAIN the anonymous proxies databases.

This all is included in remote services (like our) and not possibly to do at client side (I mean ordinary inet user - not provider with win2k/win 98 installed ;) )

Best Regards,
Alex

M

mortario

Originally posted by mcs
My tips for you is using services or server-side scripts for this purpose which MAINTAIN the anonymous proxies databases.

That's what we have ;) .. we created an in-house breed script that's running on the server using cron job. I bought a client program before on ebay - urlhog. It's running fine but take a lot of resources on my machine and it doesn't discriminate between Yahoo directory results and Yahoo-Google results.

So your tip has been proven and so far running great. :)

Gumby

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any free yahoo domain expiry scripts
still can't! i wish people would try and make their money off domain sales and make the software for free ;P not likely i guess :sad:

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
not a chance... the people that make the scripts are programmers and not domain people. (as is the case with me).

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree with DR, takes time and patience to write it... if you want PM me, might be able to do something about it.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I prefer the DMOZ listings.

But some joker got an old name of mine listed on DMOZ that I let expire which I hold the tm to. USPTO records INCLUDE mention of the URL.

When you grab such expired names that have listings in DMOZ and Yahoo, chances are you could be grabbing a bunch of serious baggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators