Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Register.com Unpaid Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how long it takes for a domain to come available, that has expired and the the registrant is Register.com. Here is part of the whois.

----------------
Organization:
register.com
Unpaid Name Department
575 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 212-594-9100
Fax..: 212-594-9876
Email: [email protected]
---------------

Also, if they just hold onto names, is there a way to buy them?. Anybody have any luck with that?.

RMF

A

airnike764

I want a name and its also in the same department. I called them up and they wouldn't let me register it but they told me when it would become available again

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you know the time frame of when the domain expired, and when it was supposed to come available?...like 30 days, 60days, 90days, etc...?

RMF

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wait, you got bad info. Real bad.

A domain I wanted badly had expired, and I think it was about 30 days expired when it was given the same 'unpaid name department' designation. I called them and said I would be happy to pay for the bill, if they would put the registration in my name. They were more than happy to do so.

Of course, $35/year stinks, but for a good name it's plenty worth it.

Give them a call asap and tell them you are very interested in helping them take that name off the unpaid names list.

-WC-

U

url.net

Any of you guys know how I can get a list of unpaid register.com names?

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recently made an offer of $100 for one of their names listed this way and could not even get a reply.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, you don't have to offer more than their usual, regular, expensive $35/year fee.

Did you call their number? I called it and a live person answered.

And to reiterate, this info was good as of February 2002. They may have changed things since, but I doubt it.

-WC-

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Domains can hang in that department for over 2 years. Some of their owners can not get them to renew it once register.com get's their grubby hands on it. I'm amazed that no one has complained to ICANN about them yet.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>I'm amazed that no one has complained to ICANN about them yet.

Wouldn't that be a waste of breath?

ICANN only listen to big corps and big wallets.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Really? How odd. I called them, paid $105 for 3 domains and had them in my name 6 hours later when I did a whois on register.com's webpage.

It's in their best interests to sell the name and regenerate income on it. I can only imagine them not letting the name go only if there is some name dispute in process with them or something computer buggy...

-WC-

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jh3
Wildcard, please let us know which 3 domains you did this on. It sounds like you are trying to pull someones leg here.

I have no motivation to lie or pull anyone's leg - are you being serious to ask such a question?

Not sure what good it will be to you now given the domains were registered in Feb of 2002 - but here are the domain names.

techwurx.com
techwurx.net
techwurx.org

I disclaimed a few times that possibly policy has changed since these were bought 8 months ago. I stated this info was good as of then.

Enjoy-
-WC-

<edit> Took out lame whiny text. </edit>

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No Disrespect WildCard, really.

It's just that this is a very sore point to a lot of people who lost their domains. I'm glad you got the 3 domains - but most sites just had to give up and find other domains with other registrars.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is it just bad management that these domains get stuck in the Unpaid department? I would think they would be as motivated to help anyone pay for an unpaid domain in the same way they were when I did it.

-WC-

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had moderate success by calling Register and enquiring about the status of the domain names. Then start a friendly conversation and enquire about purchasing the domain names directly or requesting that they release the domain names for registration. Both times that I have called, the phone rep started the release process for several domain names and a few weeks later they were available for registration.

arrowup

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
does regieter.com have any information on their website about their release process for their unpaid domain name or can you only get this information via telephone?

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I was getting my domains, I called the number in the contact list for that domain. It was hand answered, no voice mail tree. That's what impressed me most, to be honest.

Guess things have changed since Feb02.

-WC-

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>Guess things have changed since Feb02.

Like a massive bleeding of staff levels, and moving the "customer support" offshore.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the offshore doesn't bother me too much. Some of the more helpful techs I have talked to at NetSol/Verisign were from the Phillipines.

The one dumbest one I had was from there too. After calling about a problem with being unable to transfer a domain away from their company. They were making me hop thru hoops to get faxes sent and all their BS that everyone here is familiar with. I was mad and told her I would do their bidding because I had to. She then tried to upsell their new 3 year deal for $60 or something. The gall! They deny me the measly favors I requested only because it's easier for them to tell me to fax my request to some fax team that has a 7 day leadtime, and then ignores the fact that I am doing all this just to get the domains away from them, and then they try to offer me this super deal that would lock me into another 3 years with those ****'s.

But like I said, it's the same shyte that all of us here have had to deal with.

-WC-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators