Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

RGP and new deletion process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dgbtech

From what I understand the new registration process could leave some domains on hold up to 75 days. I went to the snapnames website and found this updated flow chart of the deletion process http://www.snapnames.com/deleteprocess.html . If this chart is correct than a person would benift greatly if the delete command is not sent within 46 days for a specific domains experation. Do you think it would be possible to contact a certain registry and ask them to wait till the 46 day to send the delete command in order to circumvent the additional 30day rgp waiting period? I for one would much rather have a domain delete 46 days after expiration as aposed to 75. any input/opinions on this subject would be greatly apreciated.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The big problem is that in order for the Registrar to "Recover" the domain once it is in the "Grace Period" it will cost the REGISTRAR $85 WHOLESALE to recover it!

Since this is the case, it is unlikely that Registrars will be in any hurry to pull the "Deletion Trigger" any time before the end of the 45 day grace period, due to the fact that it costs the registrar nothing to reinstate the name during THAT period because they have not turned it over to the REGISTRY to ransom back!

This smacks of impropriety, if for no other reason than the simple fact that a WLS slot on a name will likely be CHEAPER than a "RECOVER" command! One more reason why WLS will not likely ever see the light of day.

D

dgbtech

So if the registry does not pull the "trigger" within the 45 day grace period should I assume that the domain will than forgo the redemption period and be released within 5day? I would assume that if it costs $85 wholesale to buy back the name once in the redeption period not many names would enter the redemption period unless it is clearly a valuable name. If i have this wrong please or confused please correct me.

hotsauce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So is it safe to assume that the new rule of thumb will be a wait of approximately 45-46 days before MOST domains have the delete command sent to them?

Are there any registrars who have explicitly stated that they will continue to delete names before the 45 day hold, subjecting them to an additional 30day rgp period? I assume it would be in the best interest of registrars to just issue the delete command right after the 45 days hold has come to an end. If this is the case, it could bring a level of predictability to the mix.

hotsauce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dgbtech
So if the registry does not pull the "trigger" within the 45 day grace period should I assume that the domain will than forgo the redemption period and be released within 5day? I would assume that if it costs $85 wholesale to buy back the name once in the redeption period not many names would enter the redemption period unless it is clearly a valuable name. If i have this wrong please or confused please correct me.

You stole my thoughts as I was typing them :)

crabby

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
One might thing the new system would make drops less predictable, and that's a distinct possibility. However, many of us are following names that expired a year or two ago, and still haven't dropped for some mysterious reason. So what's the difference now? Well, as unpredictable as drops were a week ago, they will be less predictable from now on.

D

dgbtech

Yeah, i think there gonna keep getting less predictible but im just wondering about the actually process cause if it ends up being 75 days of waiting for the drop its gonna kill my snaps. Im gonna get 1 less month on all my snaps atleast + there will be a better chance that the owner will renew. So is the final verdict only 45 days of waiting if there is no delete command?

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dgbtech
From what I understand the new registration process could leave some domains on hold up to 75 days. I went to the snapnames website and found this updated flow chart of the deletion process http://www.snapnames.com/deleteprocess.html . If this chart is correct than a person would benift greatly if the delete command is not sent within 46 days for a specific domains experation. Do you think it would be possible to contact a certain registry and ask them to wait till the 46 day to send the delete command in order to circumvent the additional 30day rgp waiting period? I for one would much rather have a domain delete 46 days after expiration as aposed to 75. any input/opinions on this subject would be greatly apreciated.

I do NOT agree with you.
If the DELETE command is not sent within 45 days, this mean you will probably NOT get it because registrar can hold it for as long as they like before sending DELETE command which I doubt they will send it if it's good name and already passed 45 days from EXPIRED date.

So, It's better for us if registrar send DELETE command within 45 days (the sooner the better), and then we can exactly know when it'll be released.

Am I right ?

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how does something so clear become so muddled around here?

Read my lips...

NO NAMES will drop without going into the "up to" 30 day GRP.
The REGISTRY will ensure this, it is not up to the REGISTRAR.

Now, mind you, the REGISTRAR will likely hold the name up to the end of the initial 45 day period, but even if they delete it 2 days after expiry it STILL GOES INTO GRP.

Get it now?

askii

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cartoonz, Does the registrar pay up the $6 fee
if the name goes past the 45 day period? And
does the registrar have an additional year with
the domain on it's books to play with? In other
words does the registrar have the option to
renew the domain and then attempt to collect
the fees from the name owner over the year renewed? Is this a big grey area? Dwayne

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
askii: The registrars are charged $6 1 day after expiry by Verisign. They only get a credit back if they hit the delete button in the first 45 days after expiry.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And there's a huge group of them already warehousing names. What's the incentive here. It's only going to get worse.

WTF ICCAN did not just mandate a 60 day grace period along with contract provisions to force the deletion by the existing registrar is beyond me. No extra level for NSI to f*** up and no $85 extortion.

Simple and understandable.

But then as Drewbert says "FOLLOW THE MONEY":mad:

askii

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
George, That's my point. Question is after 46 plus
days what? Does the registrar hold that name
another year for the $6 paid and not refunded?
If the registrar never hits the delete button
then the name is never placed into any delete
cycle. Right? OR? Thanks for your reply.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Askii: There are proposals on the table (i.e. GNSO task forces) that would force the registrars to delete in a timely fashion (and also not keep them for their own accounts)....but right now nada....

askii

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
George, With the new shared registry whois
information we'll be able to see these registrars
that "HOLD" names after expiry... and how long.
We've just begun to realize how much we can see
now. Thanks again.

D

dgbtech

Originally posted by Cartoonz

Read my lips...

Now, mind you, the REGISTRAR will likely hold the name up to the end of the initial 45 day period, but even if they delete it 2 days after expiry it STILL GOES INTO GRP.

Get it now?

I don't know. If you look at the diagram it seems as if you can skip the redemtion period. Maybe snapnames incorrectly drew the diagram. Perhaps i am incorrectly reading it. I dunno. maybe its just me.

AQHost

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gmartfin
WTF ICCAN did not just mandate a 60 day grace period along with contract provisions to force the deletion by the existing registrar is beyond me. No extra level for NSI to f*** up and no $85 extortion.

I agree 100%. Why must they always leave these huge grey areas in everything they do? What you proposed would have been far easier to understand and enforce:

Name expires -> Registrant has mandatory 60 day grace period to renew -> Name is deleted if they don't

Sometimes simplest is best...

Simon.

Diogenes

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why must they always leave these huge grey areas in everything they do?

ICCAN is a bunch of bureobrats and to put things in black and white would be too easy! Also, what would be the penalty if a registrar doesn't delete the name within 60 days?

You shouldn't have regulations without penalities or else they are ignored. And how much enforcement power does ICANN really have?

D.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cartoonz

Read my lips...

Get it now?

Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators