Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Snapnames and Namewinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brujah

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was watching for a name to drop. I placed a starting bid ($25) on it with Namewinner. I thought the name wasn't too great that anyone else would want it. No one else was bidding on it anywhere it seemed. No one used Snapnames to backorder it.

I went ahead and used a free Snapnames monitor service though, just to keep an eye on it. I received nothing from Snapnames about the name dropping from Enom yesterday and being registered by someone through Dotster. I looked at my Namewinner bids and nothing 'PENDING' on it. The Dotster whois is brief, no full data is given.

Has anyone not been notified before about changes from Snapnames on names that had definitely changed ? Has anyone picked up names from NameWinner outside of the normal dropcatching window they use ?

Domain summit 2024

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The free Snapnames monitor is useless Brujah, its not in real time but once every week. You need a paid Snapback to get the instant notification. So I guess its just a question of timing.

Brujah

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
The free Snapnames monitor is useless Brujah, its not in real time but once every week. You need a paid Snapback to get the instant notification. So I guess its just a question of timing.

Ahh, that 'splains it. Damn. I didn't realize that before.
I didn't want the name bad enough to put a snap on it. I've already got about 30 of those damn things and my record with them isn't too great lately.

E

EroGenius

I've been "not notified" before. In fact, one nasty morning, a partner and I were frantically scouring around, trying to figure out who got our Snap-regged domain... until we found out finally that WE got it. --Snap Names has this nice russian-roulette Registrar system, where not only were we NOT notified via e-mail of ANY change, but any sense of "preferred Registrar" was lost, as our reg went to DomainSite, who has been terrible at getting our Registrant info changed (for us to get our SSL cert).

Snapnames is definitely FUNNY about letting people know about things. The only thing you can do is wait to see if you get that good-feeling "Your Snapname has expired" notice... that weirds you out until you realize that it means you got it.

Their notifications are definitely funky at times.

~ EG

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is what happens when you do not pay for the services. It reminds us that there are no free lunches out there .

E

EroGenius

Oh, I missed that you were just monitoring it... yeah... using SnapNames just for monitoring is pretty funky on a good name. A partner and I were looking as this one domain for a while, and I finally convinced him to really put a SNAP on it. He'd already had a longer version, but somehow, I thought the former was important enough to plunk some dough down on. Fortunately it all worked out very well. ;)

~ EG

Brujah

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, it wasn't a great name really. Just something I was going to pickup when it dropped. I had a $25 bid on it with Namewinner (highest bidder) and no one had a snap on it.

So its no big loss if someone else got this one.

I appreciate all the comments really, but no one paid much attention to my last question. Mole answered the first one about Snapnames monitoring service timing. The second question was if anyone knows whether Namewinner catches names OUTSIDE the normal hour window each day when they no longer accept bids for the drop.

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Brujah,

About a month ago Namewinner registered a domain name for me that became available outside the normal drop time. IMO this is critical if they want to compete with Snapnames. Unfortunately this is not the norm. I have noticed quite a few domain names that had Namewinner bids and dropped outside of the normal daily drop time, but were not registered by Namewinner until the next day.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Brujah,

Dotster/Namewinner frequently fails to notify me (i.e. change the status on My Watch List to GOT IT) when I have won names. If you are the high bidder and the WhoIs shows as Dotster (or Newdentity), but without any info, then YOU WON the name. However, Dotster will not come after you to tell you that you won. So, if you still want the name, you have to do the following:

Send an email to namewinner@dotster.com and tell them the situation. Sometimes they respond to the 1st email. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 emails. They will eventually change the status and it will show as GOT IT on your namewinner account.

;)

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you can't see the whois info, why don't you call your credit card company and ask them about the last item purchased.

I'm not sure if Dotster charges you when they get the name or a few days later, but it's worth a try. Just a suggestion.....

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Brujah,

I'm not sure if Dotster charges you when they get the name or a few days later, but it's worth a try. Just a suggestion.....

The poster above does not understand this situation. Dotster will not charge your credit card until the name is changed to GOT IT in your Dotster account. Dotster does not charge when they get the name.

If you want the name, you have to take action.

Please see my previous post in this thread to see how to handle this situation.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is the point: On the Namewinner site, there will be no indication that Dotster/Namewinner has won the name. The only way that you find that Dotster has won the name, is by checking for yourself. So, if you find that the name is now registered to Dotster and you were the high bidder, you have a choice:

1) forget about it

2) send an email to Dotster telling them to get there act together and register the name to you.

Dotster must be losing a lot of money because of this crack in the floor. I have told them about it many times, but it continues to happen.

Once you tell Dotster (namewinner@dotster.com) and they get around to it, they will transfer the name to you, charge your credit card, and change the status in your bid list to "GOT IT"

:cool:

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you suggest checking all names that you are monitoring on a weekly basis to see if they dropped and Dotster registered them?

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Namewinner/Dotster will not notify you when one of the names you are bidding on is won by another party. So, names will clog your bid list if you don't check on them. So, after a name is "past due", you should check on it. You may find that Ult Search or Buy Domains or maybe your best DNForum buddy beat you (and Namewinner) to the name. Then again, you may discover that Dotster won it and was not telling you or anyone else.

So, yes, you need to check up on Namewinner periodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators