Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Stop WLS and Karl Auerbach now !

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think Karl's quote above needs to be taken in the context of his proviso:

"My feeling is that I at the board meeting tomorrow morning that I will vote in favor of WLS but only on the condition that there are provisions that require the current registrant to know of the existance (and identity) of WLS entries placed on his/here domain name. That, to my mind, helps restore the balance of information and lets all parties to the registration agreement attempt to optimize their actions."

jalapeno

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz
"My feeling is that I at the board meeting tomorrow morning that I will vote in favor of WLS but only on the condition that there are provisions that require the current registrant to know of the existance (and identity) of WLS entries placed on his/here domain name. That, to my mind, helps restore the balance of information and lets all parties to the registration agreement attempt to optimize their actions."
What BS... if someone knows someone else has backordered their domain, what are the chances they'll want to give it up?? Not likely. All the WLS will do is prevent names from expiring and put $$ in Verisign's bank account.

hotsauce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This'll be the end of Verisign, if the proposal is accepted. The WLS is one final attempt for VRSN to recoup its long lost monopoly. Fortunately, the litigation that will ensue as a result of the clear and explicity antitrust issues surrounding its adoption will put an end to VRSN once and for all........

Consumers will get the last laugh. In any case, time to usher in the next major TLD.....bye bye .com, hello .us?

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
is just hilarious reading the dnso.org website and seeing the whiners and crybabies b*%^#ing and moaning about the presumptive passage of WLS.

Get a life, (and for that matter, a real argument).

Agreed, Racer

None of the people arguing against WLS have a clue about antitrust law. If anything, the registrars working together to get the WLS price reduced are the closest to incurring any antitrust liability of any of the actors in this whole thing.

I tend to think that keeping ICANN in check is more important than denying VRSN some money. VeriSign seems plenty skilled at losing money without ICANN's help.

I'm pretty ambivalent about the WLS - Grabby'll be fine either way. I hope Karl looks at everything (and perhaps has more info than us Joe Schmoes) and votes what he feels is best.

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kjohar
Consumers will get the last laugh. In any case, time to usher in the next major TLD.....bye bye .com, hello .us?

ccTLD's will be king one day.

micro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Karl already changed his mind and supposed to vote against WLS

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Just in case you forgot har, .biz and .info are already busy climbing to the 1,000,000 mark.

The new search directory feature that .biz will be introducing soon should send some heads turning.

hotsauce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

Just in case you forgot har, .biz and .info are already busy climbing to the 1,000,000 mark.

The new search directory feature that .biz will be introducing soon should send some heads turning.

Personally, I don't think .biz and .info stand a viable chance in the long run. The extensions not as generic as .com, and if you've read the recent study by Harvard, it is quite evident that most .biz and .info domains have been hoarded merely for speculation purposes.......without any tangible development

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/tlds/001/

If there is to be a competitor of .com, it will either be .us, as .ca is in Canada......or possibly a reincarnation of .web, if that ever comes to pass.

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zoobar

ccTLD's will be king one day.

Keep dreaming...lol...so many hypes for new TLDs are out there, and they all inevitably fail. .CC hype :dead: .WS hype :dead: ....the .US hype will eventually die :dead:

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of collecting and reporting various stats on the .INFO namespace relating to both registration and development. As a rough start on this... I am looking at 6 indicators...

Info/Com (# .info regs / # of .com regs)
Info/Org (# .info regs / # of .org regs)
ComGoogle (# .com google sites / # .com regs)
OrgGoogle (# .org google sites / # .org regs)
InfoGoogle (# .info google sites / # .info regs)
DaystoOrg (days till .info regs = .org regs at current trend)

As of 8/23/2002:

Info/Com = 4.4%
Info/Org = 39.3%
ComGoogle = 3.8 sites/reg
ComGoogle = 10.4 sites/reg
InfoGoogle = .9 sites/reg
DaystoOrg = 1,439 (4 years)

---------------------------------------------------------

I am not going to analyze whether this is good or bad right now. I suspect good arguements in either direction. I would welcome feedback on the meaningfullness or not of these stats... face validity or not. ... that sort of thing. Thanks.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Personally, I don't think .biz and .info stand a viable chance in the long run. The extensions not as generic as .com, and if you've read the recent study by Harvard, it is quite evident that most .biz and .info domains have been hoarded merely for speculation purposes.......without any tangible development

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/tlds/001/

If there is to be a competitor of .com, it will either be .us, as .ca is in Canada......or possibly a reincarnation of .web, if that ever comes to pass.

True har, most of the best domains were creamed off by speculators. Buydomains alone creamed off nearly 5,000 of those .biz critters.

media.info is still locked after a year it was first released. 17,000 of the best .info names were only released just over a month ago. And an estimated 5,000, many prime .info names, still remain in fraud status.

The 'Harvard' review covers only .biz, but we all know the best .biz names were only released sometime March this year because of a guy called Smiley who wanted radio.biz and didn't think he could get it because he had no money to play the lottery.

.info and .biz haven't even started to taxi on the runway IMO.

Whatever it is, there will be, already is, good respectable sites that take off exclusively with the .info and .biz badge. http://www.sotd.info for example. .info and .biz took 17 years in the coming after .com. It is reasonable then to give them 1.7 years to grow up.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ehh. That just ruined my day. I hope WLS is never implemented.

If it is however, it will destroy all of the small businesses focused
on back ordering domains and other such services. The Verisign
empire will get richer, and all the small guys will get crushed.

:cry: :mad: :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom