Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Suggestions about seeking Venture Capital/Crowdfunding

WorldTarget

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I need venture capital for my Internet Holding Corporation.

Has anyone had any experience getting private equity investors. Or something similar... That I don't know about. At least this way you can promise them the almighty dollar, and ROI.

I looked briefly into some of the Crowd Funding sites. But I don't see many if any examples of people funding web ventures. Just books, movies, charities, and a bunch of innovative gadgets.

I can't give them gadgets, tax benefits, and or signed posters/books in the end. I can give them memberships, product discounts, free advertising :: but from products & services that the average person will never need or use, for the most part. Very niche. It's too bad you can't just give them double their contribution back.

Feel free to chime in... Hopefully someone(s); has been down these crossroads and might have some much needed input.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can you give some details about your business ?
Internet Holding is vague.

WorldTarget

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, for your interest.

Well, basically I have several web businesses, under development. Acquiring more as I build them, grouping them, under lifestyle, entertainment, web-presence, tools/software, and just plain ole web content.

I was rather confused in my previous post. But now I think I am just going to focus on promoting one niche dating site, via CrowdFunding. After, checking out some of the services and reading some articles on the web.

And if it is successful I will learn better about maybe doing it again with another project, instead of trying to pool funding on several projects at a time. That just would not work unless I had long term private equity support. Or a loan from say lendingtree or something.

The perks/rewards I can offer would be free membership to the dating site and merchandise (t-shirts/hats) to my supporters. Although, on gofundme.com, their was a guy that is building an APP for some sort of maid service; with a goal of $50,000 and offering 1 share of the company for every $1 of support. For a total of $50,000 shares. He has raised over $20,000 so far. I am confused, because I was under the impression you could not offer equity. I am waiting to hear back from support... Because if I could do that I might be able to have more success with projects; That if implemented seem more prosperous. But would lack in perks/reward opportunities.

It is a pretty niche venture. I can't decide between 2 different domains/brands to build upon. But I will choose one:

GeniusMatch.com
or
GeniusDate.com

Which would you choose?

I don't know what dating software or custom build, I will be able to afford yet, I guess it will depend on how much money I can raise. If any? And will need to do some budgeting and due diligence in order to set a realistic campaign goal. What would get me to absolute Launch or Profitable???

$5,000
$50,000
$500,000

Coding :: Design :: Promotion :: Maintain

To be realistic I would try to get enough funds just to be able to launch. But it would be more likely to not fail, if I picked a higher campaign goal that would take me to profitability. But may seem like an unrealistic goal to potential supporters.

It will be a test run with crowd funding. And out of all my projects, the one, that seems right to try it with.

I don't know how much it would cost to do a fully successful up and running and self-sufficient dating site. And whether cornering a nitche segment of the market is going to be viable. Although, I have had success with that strategy in the past. I am still in the research stage of development.

These are the crowd funding sites I have looked into:

KickStarter.com
GoFundMe.com
IndieGoGo.com

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am no expert... but I don't think you are anywhere near ready to go for funding.

You should have a project that is at least well thought through with a solid business plan BEFORE you start asking people to invest in you.

There is already a glut of dating sites out there. Think very seriously about what need you can fill that is not already saturated in the marketplace, and how you will do it. Build the plan, research every expense, have a response for every contingency. Get yourself to the point where everything you can do is already done, and the ONLY thing holding you back is the money to finish development.

Then, you are ready to ask for help. Before that, you are likely to stumble when people ask you for answers to all of the points I just raised above.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom