Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Things than make you go hhhhmmm....

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why do people try to find out if a name is good AFTER they register it?

Wouldn't it be better to do your homework ... BEFORE you register your names?

If you have to explain what a word or phrase means ... can it be good?

Why do people string 2 or 3 words together ... add .com and then plug the words (separated by spaces .. without the .com) into overture and claim it gets 500,000 searches ... meaning their name is good?

Why do people ask for appraisals... then argue about the responses?

Why when people post want ads for names with say 100 hits a day ... do people post list of names in response, with no traffic or names that they don't know if they have traffic?

... just a few things I was wondering about on a slow Saturday afternoon

Domain summit 2024

windyreddy

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey Aactive. What are you doing here ??

Without folks with the symptoms you listed, this forum & it's moderators would'nt exist.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by windyreddy
Hey Aactive. What are you doing here ??

Without folks with the symptoms you listed, this forum & it's moderators would'nt exist.

windyreddy ... I'm trying to make some people THINK ... this forum would exist with or without the questions I asked...

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
windyreddy ... I'm trying to make some people THINK ... this forum would exist with or without the questions I asked...

many have tried before and all of them have failed lol

P

President Gringo

Why do people try to find out if a name is good AFTER they register it?

If you ask people before you buy it and it is a good one, then whats stopping someone else from taking it?

Wouldn't it be better to do your homework ... BEFORE you register your names?

Yeah it would. People learn that after a while. Some people seem to think its easy to make a buck in this game

If you have to explain what a word or phrase means ... can it be good?

Not everyone is into the same thing. Something that means something to someone will mean nothing to someone else.

Why do people string 2 or 3 words together ... add .com and then plug the words (separated by spaces .. without the .com) into overture and claim it gets 500,000 searches ... meaning their name is good?

Coz when you do a search in a search engine, you type the words with spaces and without .com at the end. If you did that you might as well just type that address in.

Why do people ask for appraisals... then argue about the responses?

Trying to get people to see their point of view. Some names i have thought are crap, but with a little more understanding, you get a better idea for the potential of the name

Why when people post want ads for names with say 100 hits a day ... do people post list of names in response, with no traffic or names that they don't know if they have traffic?

Desperation to sell their name. Serious sellers should post more info if they seriously expect a sale

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
President Gringo

... good response ... One of the best I've seen here yet. You seem to have a good feeling for the "pulse" of the boards here.

Keep it up!

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IN REPLY TO: If you have to explain what a word or phrase means ... can it be good?

Not everyone is into the same thing. Something that means something to someone will mean nothing to someone else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

a good word/phrase has meaning to everyone...the more universal a word/phrase, the more value it has...

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good list of questions, but you're missing a few...

Why are people so reluctant to give "it's worth NOTHING" appraisals even when it's staring them in the face that this is the case?

Why are so many members of this forum still carrying on registering no-hoper domains in 2002?

Why do so many people quote the Overture keyword search results, yet so few know how to actually use the tool?

Why do people still see the registering of a trademarked domain for resale as a smart "exit strategy"?

Why do people turn down out-of-this-world offers on truly junk names?

Why do I get the feeling much less has changed since the boom-and-bust in the domain name market than one would have any right to suspect?

Why do most people still not understand that 99 out of every 100 domain names will never get sold, and that therefore you have to target that 1% or lose your shirt?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh, and...

Why are newbie speculators buying on the secondary market domains that are barely worth the registration fee?

Why do so many get lured by the siren call of the junk new extensions like .info, .biz and so on?

Why don't people see .ws, .cc and other unknown-country extensions for the junk they are?

Why do people still believe that ANY name, no matter how obscure, is worth money as long as it can be found in a 7-volume unabridged dictionary of the English language?

Why do people think that adding an "s" to names that do not take a plural or creating new verb "tenses" will produce value?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It occurred to me that if you take the 3 lists of "questions" on this page and use them as a blueprint by learning what the RIGHT answer is in each case, you've actually got a pretty good map for sailing around the registration minefield that so many newbies blow their wallets up on!

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Genki,

all of your questions can be answered in a few short sentences.

1) newbies keep jumping in all the time. they simply don't know what' going on and will get burnt sooner or later (usually around the time of the first renewals)

2) some people never learn. you may want to help them, but they won't listen. there's nothing you can do about it.

Plus, perhaps some people simply refuse to acknowledge facts. I don't know.. I don't understand it, either. These are simply my assumptions..

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes...all of these questions have an answer...a lack of experience in the domain name game... But newbies will always exist and 99% will get burned in the long run. There's nothing you can do about it, and I have no desire to make a newbie tutorial "how to buy domains names and be successful in the domain name game".

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Genki
Why do people still believe that ANY name, no matter how obscure, is worth money as long as it can be found in a 7-volume unabridged dictionary of the English language?

:laugh:

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Genki
Good list of questions, but you're missing a few...

Why are people so reluctant to give "it's worth NOTHING" appraisals even when it's staring them in the face that this is the case?

Why are so many members of this forum still carrying on registering no-hoper domains in 2002?

Why do so many people quote the Overture keyword search results, yet so few know how to actually use the tool?

Why do people still see the registering of a trademarked domain for resale as a smart "exit strategy"?

Why do people turn down out-of-this-world offers on truly junk names?

Why do I get the feeling much less has changed since the boom-and-bust in the domain name market than one would have any right to suspect?

Why do most people still not understand that 99 out of every 100 domain names will never get sold, and that therefore you have to target that 1% or lose your shirt?

Genki ...

Thanks for adding to my list ... great questions! Like you, I am just trying to get people to think! This game is NOT easy money. It takes hard work. If you work hard .. listen .. and learn ... you can do very well.

I use my sleeping time to dream ... not when I'm awake.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There’s a saying in photography to the effect that ‘to take a great photograph, don’t take photographs’.

Meaning if you blindly shoot off rolls and rolls of film without too much thought, you’ll likely end up disappointed with your mediocre results. As opposed to the person who carefully ensures that all aspects of a fine photograph are met, before squeezing off a few winning frames.

So, to have a great domain name, don’t register domain names :)

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>Very good Genki, very good!

I concur.

If only people would listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom