Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

trade links ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio

DominioNombres.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have a question that I had for months and now I would like an answer to it.

For an example I'll pick FUNNY.COM I do not own it.

The question is about trading links. I know that a name like funny.com does not need to trade links but does .net .org and soo on... do they need to trade links?

Keyboard Cowboy

Positioning / Publishing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about? What do you mean if they need to trade links? If they want to, I guess they can. Same applies to .com version.

Maybe you could rephrase?

Julio

DominioNombres.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So a name like funny.com also need to trade links to get listed on google or any other search engine?

Keyboard Cowboy

Positioning / Publishing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As with SEO in general, it has never really been "proven" that the name of the link matters. Perhaps it mattered back in the early days, like up until 2000, but it doesn't anymore. Some will say it still does, but even if that's true the effect is minimum.

A good example is imdb.com. Obviously it's an anomoly given its huge weight, but I'll use it anyway. All imdb's links are like http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/ yet they rank #1,#2 or at least on the first page for just about every movie title there are. They are not doing this by having the greatest domain in the world, they are doing it because of their relevancy and weight in the movie scene.

Many times you see keyword.com rank well on that particular keyword, but that is often because it's either an old domain or the fact that people tend to link a site using its name. Fact of the matter is, you could rank just as well for "funny" with funny.com or funny.org. Doesn't matter, what matters is the quality, relevance and weight of your backlinks along with the optimization of your page

Julio

DominioNombres.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Keyboard! :)

cloudfuyun

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if they had enough type in traffic, they needn't seo, nor they need trade link

stevesko

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As with SEO in general, it has never really been "proven" that the name of the link matters. Perhaps it mattered back in the early days, like up until 2000, but it doesn't anymore. Some will say it still does, but even if that's true the effect is minimum.

I have built many websites and gotten top 3 placement in google on them by linking (and other advanced seo strategies)... links and on page content is the ONLY ways that a search engine can determine site relevence- and ranking is all based on relevence. Without links they won't ever crawl your site.

While trading links have lost some of its value as more people have tried to manipulate the search rankings, it still remains the only way to the top.

Steve

Julio

DominioNombres.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Just what i wanted to know!

So in case of a .com is not needed but when it comes to .net .org .info and up they need to trade links?

T

tonyfloyd

why wouldnt a .com need to trade links?.....u need to trade links no matter what ...no?....

Keyboard Cowboy

Positioning / Publishing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That statement makes no sense. It's like saying you can have the whole pie, but you'll settle for half.

If you have a quality name and youre going to do a site on it anyway, you might as well make it all it can be. Applying a few seo tricks to a given site isn't a process that takes years. Just a few tweaks and you can do so much better, and you might as well right? It's free traffic

Link exchanges etc aren't always the way to go (obviously) as there are many ways of promoting a web property. But doing nothing else than relying on typeins is kinda stupid imo

T

tonyfloyd

any feedback as to a few proper seo tricks other than links?

Tony

any feedback as to a few proper seo tricks other than links?

Tony

Keyboard Cowboy

Positioning / Publishing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure.. It's really quite simple actually.

Links (backlinks) are the external factor and the most important. Having a site fully optimized will do you no good if the bots can't position you. However, having something from both worlds is gonna get you there.

So just to name a few basic "tricks":
- Get relevant backlinks
- Optimize each page around a "theme". Example; avoid having tons of different niches on one page (can be done, but it's harder).
- Short but sweet descriptive <title> will do wonders, along with meta keywords and meta description (yes they still work, just don't overdo them).
- No keyword stuffing, as it will get you in trouble
- If an article site, try to repeat some main keywords or phrases you have in your title/metas. Again, do not overdo this. We don't want google thinking we're spamming.
- Use <h1>, <h2>, <h3> etc. tags where appropriate.

When you have people linking you, try to mix it up a bit. Same goes for submitting to directories. Mix it up. Lets say you have a site with funny pictures. Have one site link you as Funny Pictures, another with "Funny Pics" and a third with Funny Images or Photos. Basically anything that that stays within the "theme". This way you wont be considered a spammer for having 3 zillion sites linking you with only "funny pictures".

T

tonyfloyd

wow...nice....thanks keyboard...sounds easier said than done....seems like im doing something wrong as all this doesnt seem to do anything to some of my sites....hmmm....

wow...nice....thanks keyboard...sounds easier said than done....seems like im doing something wrong as all this doesnt seem to do anything to some of my sites....hmmm....

webd

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fact of the matter is, you could rank just as well for "funny" with funny.com or funny.org. Doesn't matter, what matters is the quality, relevance and weight of your backlinks along with the optimization of your page

An exact match of the keyword query with the domain name seems to give an advantage in Google with .com, .org, and .net domains.

funny.com, funny.org, and funny.net have an advantage when someone queries Google for the exact keyword funny.

The reason for this is probably because Google assumes that the visitor may be looking for a specific brand or Web site.

In the specific case of funny.com, Google shows 34 backlinks, while the #1 result (JibJab.com) shows over 8,000. That is why funny.com is not competing for front page results. The exact match isn't the deciding factor, but it seems to give a definite advantage. Funny.com could go to the front page with a bit of SEO work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators