Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Up & Down: Transfer a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelman

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Need advices from you experts.

1. If I move my domain to a new registrar, will the e-mail and web services of that domain down temporarily (even if I point to the same DNS servers)?

2. If I want to trasnfer my web site to a new ISP and the DNS entries will be changed, how to make sure that the e-mail service won't be down for a few days after the transfer of domain?

Domain summit 2024

MarkMitford

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In general, if the DNS servers are staying the same there will be no downtime (the name just remains in the zone file without change).

Changing DNS is a little more tricky and I'm sure people here can provide more help than me.

One warning: If you are moving between ISPs/Registrars that both use Criticalpath for their email then you may have problems. I transferred a name from VRSN to Tucows and the email wouldn't work until VRSN deleted the email box they had created for the domain, of course VRSN would respond to requests to do this and I had to fax a signed document to Tucows to get it done.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. No, since the DNS stays the same during a transfer.

2. Setup the new webhosting account, and let the old webhosting account continue to run while you change the DNS to point to the new servers. Then, get email from both systems, and monitor the number of hits to the website at the old host. After a few days (up to a week), almost all traffic should be going to the new host, and you can go ahead and cancel the old webhosting account.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Correction to #1 -- if the webhosting and/or email are being provided by the registrar itself (i.e. as part of a package), you can lose service by transferring, even though the DNS doesn't change. If you're with a standard webhosting company somewhere, though, that's not related to your domain registration, switching registrars should have no impact, as the DNS doesn't change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators