Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.us what is the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.us

What is your assessment of the future of the .us TLD?

Does anyone care? If so, who?

Why or why not reg a .us domain?

:cool:

Domain summit 2024
L

LtlPhysics

Of all of the .xx's, the .us will be the most valued.

Omni, you post like a plumber. Plumbers fix as little as possible, confident that they can come back for another billing when the next pipe fails.

I have been plumbing lately, replacing the old clogged iron pipes for the second floor with new copper pipes. I have seen the work of previous plumbers and it's a patch here and there. We will have to take a wall apart to get to the kitchen's plumbing.

Now you can type "because...?" again. :D

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
us domain will at some point become a com rival and at this point its the lesser of the evils when reg non com tlds

just my opinion

M

Mik

I think it has potential since it works on several levels. You could get patriotic and go hometown.us or catchy like dontfu**with.us or surprise.us etc. Localisation will hold you back to geographic region and witty usage may be limited since the saying would have to be explained, no that's dontfu**withus with a dot in between with and us etc.
I wonder how many people pronounce it dot U-S or dot us?
Though i'd still like a .me tld.
Downside is the connotation that may put people off from going to a .us domain name since it looks like its only for America, and while it would be great for American market it may be drawback for international market unlike .info and .biz and .com which have broader and more generic connotations.

My 4 cents since Aussie dollar is so weak at the moment and the exhange rate sucks.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All I can say is look at what country codes have done for other countries like .co.uk (England), .de (Germany), .ca (Canada), and .se (Sweden). They are huge and very popular. The .com has by many been considered as a TLD for USA, and I'm sure that it will remain the biggest and most popular TLD here. But the .us will become the second largest in the US very soon. Why? Simply because it's a great domain for any person or business whose only concern is reaching a domestic audience. And a .us sounds better than a .net or a .biz for us. Not to be forgotten, even though it is only dealing with USA, we are still talking about a market place for 300 million people. That is more people than in entire Europe (I think :)).

Thanks!

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mik
Downside is the connotation that may put people off from going to a .us domain name since it looks like its only for America, and while it would be great for American market it may be drawback for international market unlike .info and .biz and .com which have broader and more generic connotations.

I agree with Mik. The .us extension is a cctld, and that inherently puts a cap on the potential of the name compared with new gtlds like .info and .biz, ceteris paribus.

I think .info will be the best new extension in the coming years as familiarity grows. It's a punchy address.

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wrote "because...?" because I wanted to know why - there wasn't any substance in the reasoning

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rival against the .com.... hmm.. possibly given that a lot of the ppl regging names are from the US. But if that isn't the trend, then I agree with mole - there's a ceiling blocking it's growth.

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by LtlPhysics
Of all of the .xx's, the .us will be the most valued.

Omni, you post like a plumber. Plumbers fix as little as possible, confident that they can come back for another billing when the next pipe fails.

I have been plumbing lately, replacing the old clogged iron pipes for the second floor with new copper pipes. I have seen the work of previous plumbers and it's a patch here and there. We will have to take a wall apart to get to the kitchen's plumbing.

Now you can type "because...?" again. :D
I've never done plumbing before and don't know what it is....:laugh:

L

LtlPhysics

Originally posted by Omni

I've never done plumbing before and don't know what it is....:laugh:

It's hot sweaty ear-splitting work.

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it is... :sad: next time maybe..

M

Mik

I think the main reason .co.uk and .de etc are popular is because people in those countries never had any sense of ownership of .com, plus if I wanted to purchase something in germany I would not go to shop.com but shop.de, whereas in the US it is accepted that .com is their own defacto standard, and even if shop.com would point to a canadian site the site would probably still charge in $US and $CA due to the market size differences in the two countries. If I wanted to pay in Deutschmarks way back when or Euro now I am guaranteed buckleys chance of buying anything from a .com in local currency. That is why I think .de .co.uk etc have taken off.

It's also one reason why I don't think .us will go very far nor overtake .com for anything. Sure microsoft will have microsoft.us but I bet the HQ site will still be .com
If only I could have picked up gov.us :) imagine the goldmine that domain name would be :) hackers.gov.us or prez.gov.us haha worth more than business.com

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree that .co.uk and .de are great for national identity and good email addresses for business based in these countries. Same thing applies to .us.

I think people sometimes people forget that the choice of the domains are also influenced by what email address the company wants that is indicative of where the business originates.

overturn not even come close to . com in the US...
dot com is proven...
us is yet to be proven..it has potential...is a gamble...
amazon.us ebay.us etrade.us ...I don't think so...
the one and only exception toysr.us
Long live the dot com King......

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Don Giovanni
Long live the dot com King......

Yes. Artificial respirators are state of the art today.

I'm not very keen on .us, really it has all started a little late for major companies to be serious about it. Why would major companies change from their .com address to .us? and is this trend occuring? Other countries have done well but they grew up as the Internet grew and are often the standard in their respective country- .com is the standard in the US.

In my view .us is another speculators extension, probably a better bet than some of the others but still at very long odds!

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by snoopy
In my view .us is another speculators extension, probably a better bet than some of the others but still at very long odds!

I doubt .us will be big. I agree with what Snoopy said. It is a speculator extension. How many ccTLDs are popular and fetch high prices? None that I know of. Sure, .co.uk and .de have some demand in comparision to other ccTLDs, but compared to .com, .net, and .org, forget it. All the speculators know about .us, but ask yourself this: Who in the general population knows about .us? If you were to walk down the street of and major city and ask them if they knew for certain what .us was, how many would know? Can you say about nobody? The general population (at least here in the US) only knows .com, .net, and .org.

.WS was VERY hyped and was supposed to be the next .com.
.TV was VERY hyped and was supposed to be the next .com.

I would say .TV had a better chance than .WS and it failed miserably (needless to say, .WS crashed and burned too).

There have been a lot of unveilings of ccTLDs over the last 2 years. All have been hyped. None have succeeded past the initial hype. Everybody wants the original gTLDs.

People keep talking up the ccTLDs. .NET is the next one to gain a lot of value. I picked up on that 1-1/2 years ago. As more and more time goes by, I see the indications more and MORE.

If .us is going to be big, it will not be anytime soon. It will take YEARS (10-15) for it to take a root. Are you willing to wait that long?

-Bob

L

LtlPhysics

If you have seen any of Jay Leno's jaywalks, it would appear that the average Joe and Joette know very little about anything. They can't identify a picture of Cheney but know who the current pop stars are. That's scary.

One guy thought the outermost planet's name was Goofy instead of Pluto. None of them could name their order in terms of distance from the Sun.

But I don't think it will take 10 to 15 years for the masses to realize that the United States has its own "dotcom" and it happens to be the initials of the country, and a very lucky coincidence at that.

Ten years from now, computer savvy kids will have kids of their own. Again, of all of the .xx's, .us will have the most value. Joe from Pluto is hopeless, but his kids may have more on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators