Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What are some ways to build traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafael01

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What are some basics steps to build traffic to a site?

jstewart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Twitter. Forget about building what Google wants, work with Social Media and create real connection with real customers. The days of throwing whatever traffic you can get at something are over, looking for quality over quantity. Get known in your industry.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. Social Media
2. Target keywords for SERPS
3. Build lists
4. Social bookmarking sites that don't devalue yours
5. Backlinks with relevant information
6. Article directories that aren't devalued with unique content
7. Most importantly, have content that users want to get... without content, you're going to have a high bounce rate

Not in any particular order and I'm sure there are other things that you can do to build traffic, but the best approach is social media IMO. Having people share your content for you is free advertising. Though, with #7, you have to have something that people want to share. I don't want to share a crappy article on the latest Nike shoes, but I would share an article about Nike shoes if it showed the benefits of having them with breakdown of the soles, why it's good for what it's used for Tennis, Running, etc. because of placement of spots on the bones... etc. with graphical representation of them. I don't want to read a peer reviewed journal though.

Building traffic isn't a challenge. If you have it, they will come.

pertosda

AdSense Optimizer
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
SEM --> Adwords, Bing...

Inmediate traffic, not expensive, conversion oriented.

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sponsor a Formula 1 car.

Did someone say Adwords aren't expensive?

From my experience of making my living from my sites, you need to provide a product or service that is needed and valued. The site will eventually get busier through word of mouth, which in the internet age usually means a very nice post in a forum.

Advertising can be very expensive, particularly Google Adwords, though they do work very well in terms of getting visits. In my case I've never sold a product of high enough value to justify paying 50p UK per click. You can easily evaporate hundreds of pounds on Adwords, as I have done, but for me they weren't cost-effective, in fact I concluded they were a rip off and reminded myself never to use them again. Especially for charging a high price for very small niche search terms that no-one else was bidding on.

Traffic for traffic's sake is utterly pointless unless it's quality traffic, i.e. visitors who are actually interested in your product/service.

If you don't have a very large advertising budget, a good deal of patience is required!

One of the best things you can do is issue a press release. Completely free (if you do it yourself) and can result in very good quality visits to the site. In my case I got contacted by the editor of a magazine who got my press release and asked me to write an article, which I did, and which he published. The magazine was the top UK publication in the niche I was in. I got two or three glossy pages with some images and MOST IMPORTANTLY got my web address on the end of it. No charge.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used adwords to sell niche products for a number of years. The trick is to monitor what's happening very carefully, set your own budget limits, avoid bidding wars for selected keywords and never use common keywords. For example, I sold back issues of a children's history activity pack called 'Discovery'. This is a poor keyword because it leads directly to LandRover Discovery models. Another title, Build the Bismarck, fared very well with the keyword 'Bismarck' because no one else is prepared to pay for its use. Unfortunately, google recently started placing your ads in what they call the Display Network, choosing very many inappropriate websites. I soon learnt to disable this function.

KCGroup

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Outbrain.com

You're welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom