Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What is a Reseller Account ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Just to put a little lite on this subject.

A reseller account allows a person to buy domains at lower than average costs and resell them at a profit.

The average pricing for reseller accounts is between $6.95-$8.95 for .com/net/us/biz/info/net domain registrations.

If you are paying more than $8.95 for the above domain registrations and you plan on getting in the domain selling business, then you should acquire a reseller account to save money.

Contact me, if you need further assistance.

Don

Domain summit 2024

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But, you also need to find out the additional charges.

Such as, the transaction fees for your reseller acct and if you set up any retail accounts. Enom charges "me" 3% to use my credit card to fill my acct.

You will also find out that there are a lot of different deals. It all depends on your volume. And, your ability to shop around.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by actnow
But, you also need to find out the additional charges.

Such as, the transaction fees for your reseller acct and if you set up any retail accounts. Enom charges "me" 3% to use my credit card to fill my acct.

The above mentioned charges, can be avoided by sending Enom a check to refill your account with funds.

There is also no fee for setting up retail accounts if you use their standard services, any fees associated by theses accounts arise from your clients purchases.

The fee's are deducted from your "markup" on domain pricing,
should you set pricing high enough to cover those fees.

apprx. fee = 3%+$0.95

example of profit: If your cost were $8.95

Retail price =$12.00
fee's =12.00x.03=($0.36)+$.095= Total Fee $1.31

Net profit= ($12.00-$1.31)=($10.69) - Your cost ($8.95)=Commission deposited in your account = $1.74

This is just an example of a pricing structure, there are many people who pay $15.00 or more for domain name registrations.

I was paying $15 when I first started buying domain names,so profits have been,and will continue, to be made

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A reseller account allows you to resell domain registrations on behalf of a register. There are many different options to consider here. Ranging from a basic affiliate link to a totally custom integrated site. There are pros and cons to each one.

1) Do you pre-pay for the domains in advance or do you receive a commission on the sale after the fact with no up front cash?

2) Wholesale prices can be as low as under $7 to $10 depending on volume. But equally important is how is volume determined. Some are per sale. Some look at your total past sales

3) Who provides the merchant services for credit cards? If the register does this how much do they charge? This can make a big difference.

4) How easy is the setup and intergration? How much programming is invloved? The tradeoff here is between flexibility and ease of installation.

End customer issues

5) Who is the ICANN registrar? Seriously when purchasing from a reseller this is important.

6) Extra Charges: For example a) Can you change the registrant for free?. b) Can you or your customer create an empty account so that you can push a name into it? This is important for aftermarket sales.

My experience is as both an end user and reseller. I started in over 3 years ago paying $35 domain / year (one domain for 1 year). Now I sell retail for $8.75 a domain / year as a reseller for GKG.net.

DomainOgre

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great point, FineE. I pay $7.99 as an end user at PowerPipe.com, an ENOM reseller. The price is great and I can manage my domains easily when I want to develop them, but trying to sell domains with PowerPipe is a royal pain. Just ask any one who bought one of my domains at the auction last night:laugh: .

There is no way to push a domain to somebody else's account for free, because the system does not work like that (it uses email addresses and a master list system).

If you want to transfer the name to a regular ENOM account (which does allow free pushes), it will cost the same as transfering from anybody else (about $30).

That said, the price might be low but find out if they allow pushes if you intend on selling any domains in the future that are registered with them. I, myself, am in the process of getting an $8.95 account with ENOM to avoid these future headaches.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by biggedon
A reseller account allows a person to buy domains at lower than average costs and resell them at a profit.

I thought the term Reseller meant that the individual was reselling the "service" he was buying at a discounted rate.

Yes, he can also resell the "domains" he is buying, but thats domain speculation, no?

The primary purpose of a "reseller account" in this businees is to resell the service of "domain registration" at a small profit but hopefully with some volume, no?

I have a Go Daddy/Wild West reseller business, NameChef. I am reselling domain registration and hosting to others. Yes I get a great price on my own regs, but since I rarely hand reg anything, I rarely take atvantage of the reg price for personal use. Unless I'm renewing my personal names then I will transfer names to NameChef for $7.17 which includes 1 year reg. But my particular style of speculation dictates that I not have a name longer than a one year period.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sharpy

I thought the term Reseller meant that the individual was reselling the "service" he was buying at a discounted rate.

Yes, he can also resell the "domains" he is buying, but thats domain speculation, no?

The primary purpose of a "reseller account" in this businees is to resell the service of "domain registration" at a small profit but hopefully with some volume, no?

I was only shedding some lite on a "Reseller Account" as it pertains to Enom.

Domain speculation, relates to "what the inflated price of a domain is, above registration costs". Having a "reseller account" allows an individual to buy at the lowest registration cost available, therefore having the potential to make a greater profit if the domain is resold. The act of reselling a domain above costs is speculation.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, you don't even have to resell domains to get a reseller account. If you just develop (or collect) a lot of names it's worth getting a reseller account for the wholesale pricing.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains
Actually, you don't even have to resell domains to get a reseller account. If you just develop (or collect) a lot of names it's worth getting a reseller account for the wholesale pricing.

yes....this is also true

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Enom charges "me" 3% to use my credit card to fill my acct.
+++++++++++++++++

If that is true, eNom is probably is violation of their Visa/ MasterCard merchant credit card processing agreement.

wordpimp

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love the 24 hr customer service from wild west domains the reseller program from godaddy.

www.yourwordhere.com is my account.

OK, listen people.....this is my personal experience. Just because you have a reseller account and basically everything is done for you..buyers are not knocking to buy from you.

domain junkies usually have their own reseller account. you should too as posted here.

the money I feel is in the "speculation market" which is reselling the domain again for it values....clicks, hits, recognition etc.

right everyone! but really, the alphabets want to be pimped.

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's the gist:

reseller accounts are user accounts (login/password) that have the capability to create subaccounts with a major registrar. In a way, think of it as a well regulated multilevel marketing (MLM)set-up. Nothing wrong with that if it is given the serisousness it commands. Namely, supporting your product (domain reselling) and respecting the privacy and welfare of your clients is imperative. A rude, unethical reseller will go nowhere fast.

As far as pricing, reseller accounts are not necessarily better priced than retail or single domain accounts. Volume reselling is in fact associated with lower pricing.

Gist ^2: You don't have to own a domain name or a site to be a reseller. Some resellers operate out of free sites, email, word of mouth, smoke-signal enabled tech-support etc... Real estate agents do not necessarily own their own home ...

Gist^3: If you have or plan on registering many domains and you want to pass your experience in doing so to others while making a few cents, get a reseller account so you can create accounts for others who will register many domains (hopefully), who in turn will create accounts for others who will register many domains(hopefully again!), who will.. and so on... (domain junkies located in the chain are an added benefit).
{using the real estate agent analogy, a multiproperty owner who is also a real estate agent ]

Hope the diff. perspective helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators