Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed What is the most you paid for a domain

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just reading this forum and it strikes me that everyone values names at sometimes astronomical prices.

Can I ask what the most you guys have paid for a domain.

Domain summit 2024

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The most I have paid is $688 and the most I have sold one for is $500. I hope this helps.

We don't always value based on what we'd actually pay. There is a world of difference between a reseller sale and an end user sale.

Most I've ever paid, approx $500. Most I've ever sold for, $45k.

What was the $688 domain?

The only reason I ask is that I'm like most people, I buy for nothing yet believe a domain is worth much more than I would probably pay.

The most I have ever paid for a domain was a miserly $250 for sportpix.com which I'll develop one day.

Tell us what the domains are when you all post. I'd also like to know how if you actively canvas companies to buy your names.

sgopalam

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
safesys,
please tell us what $45k domain is?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would say that prices actually depend on 2 things: the quality of the name itself and what it means to the buyer.

Example 1:
I sold the hkg.net/org pair for US$6,000 because hkg is the 3-letter country code for Hong Kong, and the buyer is the Hong Kong Airport Authority.

Example 2:
I also sold harbourfront.com for US$2,500 to a boat cruise operator in Toronto (Canada).

More examples:
thornhill.net for US$800 to a guy named Ted Thornhill and hamilton.org for US$800 to Lynn Hamilton.

Brilliant, I like these kind of stories, did these people all approach you?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, through GreatDomains, AfterNIC and a call to my cell directly.

I always beleive in high-quality names instead of taking thin profits. The least price that I have ever sold is US$300.

(I now list some names for US$250 if paid by PayPal, as they have a cap of that amount for each transaction of an unverified buyer, although I still need to "verify" that.)

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 365
What was the $688 domain?

The only reason I ask is that I'm like most people, I buy for nothing yet believe a domain is worth much more than I would probably pay.

The most I have ever paid for a domain was a miserly $250 for sportpix.com which I'll develop one day.

The $688 domain name I purchased was HostingPortal.com from Buydomains.com. My $500 domain name was GolfingPortal.com which was sold on Ebay.

I've been buying and selling domain names for the last year, but I am afraid to ask for too much money. When I have asked for $1000 or more, I never get a response.

I recently sold KoreanPortal.com for $50. I just can't seem to get more than that on a regular basis.

I tried to buy paparazzi.com but the guy valued it at 25k but it's not worth that much, yeah it's a good memorable name but spelling would be a problem, it means nothing undeveloped, Oh and I didn't have 25k :D

I think a lot of people read the stories of massive windfalls and think every domain is worth 00's of 000's, then everyone loses. Why hang out for an offer that probably will never come when you can take profit and move on to the next.

Originally posted by 365
I tried to buy paparazzi.com but the guy valued it at 25k but it's not worth that much, yeah it's a good memorable name but spelling would be a problem, it means nothing undeveloped, Oh and I didn't have 25k :D

yeah I doubt it would ever get near that price to a reseller, its an ok name but it is very difficult to spell.

sgopalam

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Most I ever paid was $70 for a 2 year reg at register.com before I discovered goDaddy. :)

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Most I ever paid was $70 for a 2 year reg at register.com
Same here.

And most I ever sold a domain forwas $2000.00; RasKass.com
Been my favorite rapper since 98 when he was unknown, decided to buy his dot com in 2k. And suddenly he became popular, got a gold record. Label approached me one week later. Rest is history.
Besides that domain though, I've sold 3 domains for $250+. And 15 domains for under $250

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would not tell anybody what names i sold, or for how much i sold it for, without asking the permission of the owner.

I doudt that they would agree to that being public knowledge.

A different senario would be if the name sold at auction, but you would still have to do your own whois research, because i wouldn't tell anybody.

I dont think that it's anybody's business but the buyers.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with non disclosure .. just common courtesy.

I agree with americar on this. Its common courtesy not to disclose domain sales made outside of public sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators