Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Whats the best software to create and edit websites

ebrdomains

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering what is the best software the can help create websites as well as edit them and that. I see xsitepro2 and was wondering if anyone had/have been using this?

Eric

Domain summit 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
There is no single software to create web sites.
You need to design the graphics and export them - Photoshop or Fireworks.
In the absence of Fireworks, Dreamweaver is the best WYSIWYG *and* non-visual editor combo.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering what is the best software the can help create websites as well as edit them and that. I see xsitepro2 and was wondering if anyone had/have been using this?

Eric

I've done some Xsites. PM me if you have any questions. I also like Joomla - use that more than anything else.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like xsitepro2 ...I used FP for quite a few years but as they are discontinuing it I made the switch.
If you know html something like Dreamweaver might be better...but I don't ...so I wysiwyg it.

ProDome

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wordpress works best for me. Coming from a non-IT, non-programmer background. Great for seo too

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are there any recommended tutorials and especially sort of quick start sites? For myself, I know HTML and have used the now discontinued Microsoft Front Page. I can design a presentable website (no award winner) but that is it. I am frankly very confused beyond that as are, I suspect, many of us who really must move to the development model as the parking and collecting dropped domains that are decent model is badly failing (and that isn't just for me).

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been doing internet development since '94 and can speak with some authority. I would recommend shifting to a content management system (CMS). CMS are geared towards developing and maintaining sites at a larger scale or volume than the single-site frontpage/WYSIWYG model. They’re generally feature-rich and include things like URL rewriting, scheduled publication, versioning, etc. not generally available in WYSIWYG tools. Learning curve is about the same.

I personally use the mojoPortal CMS. Its interface is simple to the point that HTML knowledge is optional or it can be extensively customized. And it's rock-solid. You’ll find it at a number of web hosts (or can self-hosted). I would love to see domainers using mojoPortal. Here’s its feature set.

Depending on your preferred technical stack (Windows/Lamps), technical expertise, etc. other CMSs that are frequently mentioned include: DotNetNuke, Umbraco, Joomla, Drupal, etc. Though extended with similar features, Wordpress is not in the same class and you will encounter roadblocks if scaling-up.

Realize some CMS camps (incl. open-source) have profit-driven ecosystems that are quite vocal on the net. Make your decision based on what best meets your needs.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm a die hard Joomla fan, 2 yrs w/ mambo before Joomla came into existence.

But for our own company's sites we've decided to go w/ Wordpress.

It has almost the same functionality as Joomla now, but with a much better out of the box [or free] seo footprint.

aman1

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dreamweaver is a nice software for crating and editing.

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hand-code everything...and it shows...CharlesSweeney.com...!

Hasn't stopped me making a living from my websites for the last ten years.

I hardly ever/never use graphics. Never had anyone ask that I put them on my sites either.

I use HTML, CSS, PHP and mySQL. All self-taught. There's no shortage of tutorials online. I would suggest that you keep it very very simple and don't listen to half the bull/waffle you hear.

Most important consideration, bar none, is ask yourself what your visitor wants.

4u-domains

DNF Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recommend Joomla. Easy to add and edit content. Great support, huge community and there are thousands of themes out there so all you might ever need to do is edit the logo..

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators