Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

When NOT To Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcom

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't profess by any means to being a seasoned domain name buyer. Sure i've sold a couple, and also own a heap of worthless names :) too.

So how do you distinguish between a great buy and an impulse buy that turns into a cyber coaster?

Well I haven't totally worked that out yet, but here is a few pointers.

1. Just because the net, org, info etc etc is taken doesn't mean the COM is a gold mine. This also goes for the net, org etc being available.

2. Google says 16,000,000 matches. Well sorry to say this, but that could also be a devil in disguise. Common language words usually show these type of results. Like my looked.net !! Couldnt even sell it for $16.50 :)

3. Less Characters means more $$. Another falacy. 3 char domain names are a dime a dozen these days, yeh sure you might somehow grab a qqz.net etc but try and sell them. Good wishes if you sell one for a little profit :)

As a sum up, do a little homework & always ask yourself, why is it available to begin with ? Sure, you may have stumbled across an elusive name that slipped thru the cracks, but more than likely someone has either had it already or it was never bothered with in the 1st place.

This isn't all supposed to make you think, what's the use. Many a name drop daily and that is probably the trick here.

Sites like namewinner.com , snapnames.com etc allow you bid or backorder names. You may just see something in a name that looks promising, thats other dont see.

OK, after all that, I hope some seasoned domain name people can add to this.

Hope this helps some of you.

Cheers
Mike
Sydney Australia.

Domain summit 2024

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike.

Manic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cheers, neighbour! :)

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great Info Dotcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators