Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Which is Better: Yahoo Expired or DMOZ Expired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've just started looking at the expiring names with Yahoo and DMOZ directory listings. Since you have to pay a substantial fee for a Yahoo directory listing and DMOZ is free, would I be right in assuming that those with the Yahoo listing would be more valuable (assuming that the names being compared are otherwise equal?).

I know a lot of the DMOZ value comes from the importance Google places on DMOZ listings for page ranking but in your mind would that be enough to put them on a par with the Yahoo listed names?

I'm sure this is elementary for many of you but it is a new area of interest for me. Thanks!

Domain summit 2024

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wonder whats more popular. Google or Yahoo. I never use yahoo, only Google. I think Dmoz would be more valuable. But I guess it depends on what the name is, what kind of traffic, etc.

RMF

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like Google a lot, and the great thing about getting a decent keyword placement on google is that it will most likely show up in the yahoo search results (since yahoo uses its own directory + google).

Luc L.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I also much prefer Google (it is about the only thing I use). I rarely if ever use the Yahoo directory. However, enough businesses seem to think it is important enough to pay $299 for a listing. That of course gives an expired Yahoo domain at least some inherent value. In the long run, I would think that a higher Google ranking would pay off better, but since you don't have to pay for the DMOZ listing (though you do have to earn it) I wasn't sure how much value would be placed on that in comparison.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google is a better search engine and therefore loved by the computer-savvy crowd. However, Yahoo is STILL the most popular place to search (mind you, most people search before they browse the directory). When a site is listed with Yahoo's directory, that's guaranteed traffic. And NOT all Yahoo-listed sites are paid.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameslave
Google is a better search engine and therefore loved by the computer-savvy crowd. However, Yahoo is STILL the most popular place to search (mind you, most people search before they browse the directory). When a site is listed with Yahoo's directory, that's guaranteed traffic. And NOT all Yahoo-listed sites are paid.

I believe all NEW ones are paid though. My site musicparadise.com has been in the Yahoo Directory for years but it got in before they started imposing fees. It was my understanding that snce Nov. 2001 you have had to pay for a listing. Please corrrect me if that is wrong and a listing can be earned in another way.

atlach

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yahoo is STILL the most popular place to search

not true my information are over 60% request on google and like 17% on yahoo.
Considering that if what u r looking for isnt in yahoo then yahoo will show you google result, my understanding is unless u know a subject/part of yahoo that bring visitor consider yahoo as dead

Dmoz on the opposite has great influence in your ranking in google

if you ask me i think most of the people that are browsing though yahoo are people looking for dead website with link pop :p

@

revsorg

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The value of either a Yahoo or DMOZ listing is the increase that this gives you in Google PageRank. Most people who are attempting to increase the PageRank of their website go for a listing in both directories, and I am not sure whether one counts for more than the other. A Yahoo listing carries more prestige because it is often harder to get in, unless you pay $299. Many people fret about corrupt DMOZ editors, which means that for some categories it is almost impossible to get your site into that directory.

The thing is, both directories are hot on removing websites that change their content in such a way that it no longer matches the category that it falls within. The fact that an expired website has a listing is likely to only last for a few months at most before one of the directory administrators spots that your new site has inappropriate content and removes it. DMOZ might be a little faster to remove a site because they have editors who are responsible for individual pages, but then if your DMOZ category has a particularly lazy editor (or indeed no editor) then they might take ages to spot it.

One other thing to think about. Google are on record as strongly disapproving of the idea of buying expired Yahoo/DMOZ sites in order to manipulate Google PageRank. They track expired domains just like we do, and if they spot someone trying to manipulate PageRank in this way their probable course of action would be to manually delete the URL from their database.

A legitimate way of getting around this problem might be to place similar, or appropriate content on a website that has previously expired. If you stick a completely unrelated website on a URL, just to get the PageRank, or a spammy search engine, you are asking for trouble.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Revsorg - great post and you answered a lot of important questions for everyone!

S

sheepster

I generally receive more traffic from Yahoo expired than DMOZ expireds... Just my $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators