Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

WLS will be dead soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

You think so? I've been paying very close attention to the issue for a long while, and I am now getting the sense that ICANN is going to allow WLS to go forward no matter what the Names Council says. Look at the fairly recent moderation of opinion among some of the larger registrars: I think they are realizing that money can be made with the WLS, and that their customers will like it, fair to Dotster/Enom/Parava/BuyDomains/Ultsearch or not.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think grabby makes a good point. Money talks, especially when ICANN is in such deep shit for protecting .com from other lethal new extensions like .shop, .xxx and .web in the last round.

The grandpa of .com, Verisign, is bleeding with investors demanding they ditch the registry business. So better get a solution up quick.

ICANN knows it can't make that decision directly. It will be a political suicide, thus the laundering to the Name Council (whatever that is).

I'd be very surprised if WLS isn't introduced. But then, I have been proven wrong.

I think the only unanswered question is whether or not Verigisn will activate the WLS after ICANN says no to them. They have already stated they don't believe they legally need ICANN approval. ICANN appears to have no teeth to enforce their existing, well define regulations, so in this area - Verisign might be right.

I also don't believe there is anyone on this list closer to the WLS discussions than GeorgeK, and bow to his superior knowledge and information at all times.

-t

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt
ICANN appears to have no teeth to enforce their existing, well define regulations, so in this area - Verisign might be right.

:D teeth

Verisign is trying to keep the .com registry from angry investors by saying that profits will rise 700% with WLS. Does Verisign have a choice with Netsol? Not in the shareholders book.

When you need to survive in the corporate world, you will do anything. Verisign has already been forced to lay off a significant percentage of their employees in the registry/registrar SBU, and farming as much as possible out to other lower wage countries. Who cares when you are in that situation.

Expired name miners have been having it good all this while. Well, the party is about to end.

GeorgeK is obviously well-versed in WLS issues, but I wouldn't necessarily "bow to his superior knowledge and information at all times." As a rabid opponent of the WLS, I wouldn't trust his spin on news related to the proposal any more than I would trust spin provided by VRSN.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
grabby, I doubt it is as much spin as it is corporate survival in this case.

Why do you think ICANN is in such a dilemna? Did anyone expect registrations for .com to do such a massive reverse spin?

Did anyone expect registrations for .com to do such a massive reverse spin?

if you mean decline in numbers, then sure - anyone who was looking at the zone files and could see the sheer volume of useless domains would have told you it was inevitable.

I've been looking at the .info zone and the volume of rubbish in them is amazing too - so come renewal time expect to see a contraction in that tld too as speculators realise .info isn't a guaranteed get rich quick approach either.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys

I've been looking at the .info zone and the volume of rubbish in them is amazing too

Sorry, that's a knee jerk response and you know it safe.

.info at close to a million names still has linguistic room for many people. This, compounded with the fact that .info is being registered with great generic names stemming from European languages like Spanish and German given its local language friendly nature.

I won't call foreign language usage beyond English of an internet extension rubbish. I call that quality and relevance.

This world is big and diverse. Sometimes we forget how big and diverse it is as we tap the keyboard in our own little cocoon of spacial recognition and comfort. The maturing of the internet will teach and point out to us many things.

.info, is only one of these lessons.

no mole, its an observation based on actually looking at the reges themselves in the zone file.

as you know i prefer fact to guesswork, so thats why i downloaded the 899,051 zone file entries to see for myself and to watch the growth rather than believe the hype and spin.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
as you know i prefer fact to guesswork, so thats why i downloaded the 899,051 zone file entries to see for myself and to watch the growth rather than believe the hype and spin.

Fact and guesswork. hmmm...

Was the .com boom fact or guesswork? The lesson was simply this - When you are risk-adverse and depend on facts to move your butt, i.e. laggard thinking, chances are you already missed the boat.

There are some industries that depend on facts, making money on the internet has so far shown more of a spin than facts.

IMO, facts don't hack it on the internet. Hope does. Sorry to burst your bubble, by history (facts, by certain definitions) shows this is what .com was all about.

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
After a lot of hashing out in the ICANN "public comment" forums about new gTLD's being introduced and why ICANN didn't accept .WEB exention, it was clearly seen that public opinion doesn't mean *ick to these companies. They will decide indoors of who gets to keep what loot.

just my 2 1/2 cents.

the .com boom is a fact - it happened and the continued sales in .com support the notion that the market for .com is healthy.

there hasn't been a .info boom - so thats guesswork on your part.

i said that there is an obvious volume of rubbish in the .info zone - thats a fact, i've seen it with my own eyes.

If you havn't seen the domains then it would be guesswork on your part to offer an opposing view.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stating that the .info zone file is rubbish is illogical. I have over 30 prime .info industry generics (I mean prime) and the only thing I can see is rubbish is my .com collection. Maybe its the tinted glasses we wear, but most of the .info names on offer at auction sites vs the other 'rubbish' just beat the hell out the real meaning of the word generic.

i didn't say the whole zone was rubbish - just that come renewal time its obvious from looking at the zone that there will be a sizeable volume of non renewed.

you seem to be twisting what i am saying to fuel the usual argument about .info vs .com and thats not the point of my posts - just that i expect a "reverse spin" in .info too come renewal time.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the total number of dot-com names can easily fall much further --- there are so many "crappy" names that people speculated on. I figure another 3 or 4 million more and we might see it plateau, and then start to rise again as people need new domains for their new businesses or new products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators