Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Wls

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I figured we might get a new threat going about the WLS. What is the eta on the wait list...?

Domain summit 2024

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I keep hoping that they are gonna derail it

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If the price is right, I might be for WLS. If a domain is expected to come available and you have a "snap" on it, your gauranteed the name..that would be nice for a change :D

If WLS doesn't come into affect, I would like to see Registrar club drops eliminated. Unless of course I can ever become involved. :laugh:

RMF

DomainSage

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
RMF, the price is never right because richer people will out bid you.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, WLS isn't an auction. You pay one price, thats it.. Am I wrong?

RMF

PrimeDNR

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RMF
As far as I know, WLS isn't an auction. You pay one price, thats it.. Am I wrong?

RMF

Hmm!

I think it is first come first service too!

Regards

- P

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As far as I am aware it will work like SnapNames - fixed price, first come first served.

It will still be a game for the deep pockets - they will simply buy lots of them.

PrimeDNR

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hmm!

But I think WLS work best for Netsol's domain name. In fact, Netsol.com can just transfer the name to the new owner (under the WLS if the existing owner don't renew under the grace period). If it is the case, then Snap name will not be able to snap because the name has never been released from Netsol. Am I right?

Regards

- PD -

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SnapNames created the WLS system in partnership with NetSol/Verisign.. I understand that it will operate at the shared registry level, 'preventing' registrars from holding domains past their expiry (I'm sure they'll still find a way).

NetSol will benefit greatly - as far as I can tell every WaitListed name will be registrered through them. Although I did hear, at one stage, third party registrars could use the API?!

PrimeDNR

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Beachie
SnapNames created the WLS system in partnership with NetSol/Verisign.. I understand that it will operate at the shared registry level, 'preventing' registrars from holding domains past their expiry (I'm sure they'll still find a way).

NetSol will benefit greatly - as far as I can tell every WaitListed name will be registrered through them. Although I did hear, at one stage, third party registrars could use the API?!

Thanks Beachie,

Thanks for leading me to the correct point.

Hmm! Anyway, WLS price should not be too high.. I hope.

Regards

- PD -;)

opencg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seems like its getting closer to the Launch of WLS I think the domain market will go crazy :eek:

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As far as I remember, pre-released WLS rules would not allow to backorder domain already expired or expiring within the next 60(?) days. If it happened today, you might purchase WLS for domains expiring in February or later ONLY... And yes, I guess a few "big players" would backorder each and every good domain. It looks the same as almost all good soon-to-expire names are snapped at snapnames already. So I guess the following competition: who will be the first to predict deletion of a domain name expiring in 6-7-12-.. month or later, and who will backorder it.
Regardless of WLS, current market remains the same for domains expired in 19XX-2002 and not deleted yet.

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Written by RMF;

<If the price is right, I might be for WLS. If a domain is expected to come available and you have a "snap" on it, your gauranteed the name..that would be nice for a change >

Get real!! Do you live in moon?

Here are the facts about EXISTING domain grabbing market:
1. Almost all valuable names are grabbed by big groups.
2. The remaining valuable names is grabbed by individual programmers who uses some breached ICANN registrars.
2. Snapnames cost $49 at bulk and if you are a small guy you could have a very limited number of bullets.
3. All good names are already snapped. If you do not believe me go check yourself. Good names are put on snap much more before than their expire dates.
4. Namewinner has outrageous bids on good names so little guy has no chance to bid $35K on lotto.com
5. The only little chance remained is the legitimate method of grabbing by scripts.

Here is the possibble situation if WLS happens;

1. Snapname could offer thousands of WLS slots for a VERY bulky rates to big guys. And big guys could snap all valuable names even before 1 year a name expires.
2. The quasi-competitive (there is a hidden illegitimate monopoly of ultsearch and some others in the market) market will be turned into wild capitalist monopoly of ex-big guys.

In brief, even the existing of the fact that all great domains are grabbed by some deep pocket YangYoungs, there is still a slim chance of this little guy can do something. If WLS comes that slim chance will die too.

So WLS sucks!!

Oh by the way, the domain name WLSsucks.com is fo sale :D

Sero

opencg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirAlexFerguson
Written by RMF;

<If the price is right, I might be for WLS. If a domain is expected to come available and you have a "snap" on it, your gauranteed the name..that would be nice for a change >

Get real!! Do you live in moon?

Here are the facts about EXISTING domain grabbing market:
1. Almost all valuable names are grabbed by big groups.
2. The remaining valuable names is grabbed by individual programmers who uses some breached ICANN registrars.
2. Snapnames cost $49 at bulk and if you are a small guy you could have a very limited number of bullets.
3. All good names are already snapped. If you do not believe me go check yourself. Good names are put on snap much more before than their expire dates.
4. Namewinner has outrageous bids on good names so little guy has no chance to bid $35K on lotto.com
5. The only little chance remained is the legitimate method of grabbing by scripts.

Here is the possibble situation if WLS happens;

1. Snapname could offer thousands of WLS slots for a VERY bulky rates to big guys. And big guys could snap all valuable names even before 1 year a name expires.
2. The quasi-competitive (there is a hidden illegitimate monopoly of ultsearch and some others in the market) market will be turned into wild capitalist monopoly of ex-big guys.

In brief, even the existing of the fact that all great domains are grabbed by some deep pocket YangYoungs, there is still a slim chance of this little guy can do something. If WLS comes that slim chance will die too.

So WLS sucks!!

Oh by the way, the domain name WLSsucks.com is fo sale :D

Sero

The Snapback® subscriber may opt to convert his/her Snapback® subscription to a new WLS
subscription within the first 10 days after the launch of the WLS system. The Snapback®
subscriber will, in effect, be afforded an opportunity of first refusal to convert his/her
Snapback® subscription and purchase a new WLS subscription with the registrar of their
choice.

http://www.nsiregistry.com/wls_comments.pdf :eek:

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes they can exchange their snap. but the registrar still has to catch that name. you're right back to the drop service. Except you can add on another $50-70 for the monopoly service.

And as soon as the WLS slots start expiring again aftera year it will be right back to the drop services for those also.

It'sa going to get a whole lot more expensive for all of you if you want to keep playing.

I'm mystified that so many of you don't see this as anything but a prop up for verisign/NSI monopoly and the only reason snap is involved is they would have screamed the loudest if Versign/NSI hadn't bought their silence.

NSI is losing market share by the bucketfull. And ICAAN is going to prop them up using $50-60 million of your money.

edited for typo

Jeffb

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gmartfin
Yes they can exchange their snap. but the registrar still has to catch that name. you're right back to the drop service. Except you can add on another $50-70 for the monopoly service.

And as soon as the WLS slots start expiring again aftera year it will be right back to the drop services for those also.

It'sa going to get a whole lot more expensive for all of you if you want to keep playing.

I'm mystified that so many of you don't see this as anything but a prop up for verisign/NSI monopoly and the only reason snap is involved is they would have screamed the loudest if Versign/NSI hadn't bought their silence.

NSI is losing market share by the bucketfull. And ICAAN is going to prop them up using $50-60 million of your money.

edited for typo

Well stated... The current system is not great, but the WLS would be far worse.

opencg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
breakdown:
understanding dotster war with WLS is it because VGRS & Snap Names will gain more market share providing 100% success I understand dotster has the namewinner.com service and they will hussle for you get a name and you have to pray that some other individual doesnt get the name without a snap or wls using some script or sought etc. users participate in a bid war for expiring domains and I beleive bids for these names are far more than 20k if the name is really good so what! bidding starts at 8 bucks I guarantee you will pay at least a few hundred if not thousands "per name" using the dotster namewinner.com service as for WLS the price begins at 24 bucks hope Im correct and the price remains there with out any over pumped excited bidding system I think there isnt anything better than a first come first serve with a sustained price and a 100% guarantee and personally "I think a individual should own a domain first before auctioning it off to highest bidders anyway".

it was never about providing customers with 100% service, it was all about the money and props... CgFX 2002

Originally posted by gmartfin

edited for typo

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators