Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

WordPress Backend Plugins

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Found this nice article on cleaning up your WP backend:

There are lots of posts dedicated to showing you wordpress plugins that enhance your post functionality and add features but not many that focus on helping you clean and maintain a secure and orderly backend.

OK maybe that was a bit overly dramatic but really these two EVERYONE should be using:

Wordpress Automatic Upgrade - This one absolutely makes upgrading a breeze. I can't tell you how many man hours this one has saved me.

Wordpress Database Backup - really nothing sucks more than losing a blog because of a catastrophe and this gives you the ability to send a daily backup to an offsite storage location via email (say something like a dedicated gmail account for instance)

Ok now onto the stuff you may not have seen already...

• Broken Link Checker - link rot it happens, chances are if you link out a lot or have been blogging for more than a year your blog has some dead links. This plugin will run thru them all identify them and let you fix,update, delete, or unlink them... yea I know cool huh. Warning the first time this thing runs it's pretty labor intensive, so choose a less busy time like a holiday weekend to first turn it on.

• Cross Linker - So lets say you've written a great review post of that snazzy new Blackberry Curve you just bought. Your post is so great every time you write the words "blackberry curve" you want it to link to your review post, but you know... you're lazy or forgetful. Cross linker will do the deed for you. it won't overwrite where a link already exists, and you can also set it only link the first occurrence of the word so your posts don't end up looking like intellitext on steroids or something.

• Go Codes - Maybe your an affilaite and you'd like redirect all of your affiliate links through a script for tracking purposes or maintenance purposes. use GoCodes to set up a tinyurl like function on your blog so http://example.com/go/blackberry-curve/ sends people to your aff link. Want to change affilaites... easy peezy just update your go code instead of every link... neat huh. if you combine this with Cross linker above it becomes really powerful. You can set up cross linker to link to a gocode page... did we get a lightbulb moment...

• Login Lockdown - Hacking wordpress is really becoming an issue lately, and anything you can do to slow people down is a good thing. login lockdown will block IP's after a specified number of incorrect username/password combinations. You can configure some of the options, not perfect nor fool proof but it's a start.

• Audit Trail - Keep track of who did what and when they did it. Especially helpful when you have multiple admins, editors, or authors around.

• Wp Security Scan - Sounds much more impressive than it actually is, but still it does some useful things and makes some good suggestions. Looks like the author also has some good ideas in the pipeline so it's one to keep an eye on.

Full article here:

http://www.smallsitenews.com/2008a/0729.html

grace5

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very helpful,I have notice that I am getting a boatload of traffic to my login.
So I will download nad install this Login Lockdown.
I also like the Gocodes plugin.

*** I have looked for this login lockdown but the links are wrong and I cannot seem to find it at wp plugins

grace5

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well I finally found the login lock (about page 10 @WP plugins)

works great,simple,really nothing to configure except how long you want to lock out the attemped logins.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well I finally found the login lock (about page 10 @WP plugins)

works great,simple,really nothing to configure except how long you want to lock out the attemped logins.

Is there any plugin that allows you to mask the domain where the admin panel resides ?

It makes me nervous that users can so easily access the control panel ?

grace5

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
don't knoiw but you can go to wordpress plugins and search for security
theres one that will put a .htaccess (apache)file lock on the the admin folder.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to put both Adsense and a PayPal button on Wordpress?

I have heard it is very difficult to do.

Could you please explain the problem. Adsense has it's own code, and PayPal has it's own code. I assume you are putting them in different places.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Send me a PM. I can get it placed for you.

beyond.domaining

www.BeyondDomaining.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
great article. thanks for sharing.

regarding the login lockdown - does anyone have any tips for blocking traffic from certain IP addresses or certain countries? i get tons of registrations to some of my sites coming from certain countries and/or IP addresses. They are all trying to spam my comments with links to get the Google PageRank. thankfully Askimet blocks most of this stuff.

anyone know how to do this, or know if there is a wordpress plugin for it? fiddling with the .htaccess file maybe?

For the question about AdSense and PayPal. There's an AdSense plugin that you can install. You just add in your AdSense ID and its off to the races. You can download the AdSense plugin here:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/all-in-one-adsense-and-ypn/

For PayPal buttons, just edit your page with the HTML view (instead of the visual view) and paste your PayPal HTML code.

Last edited:

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I saw IP blocking plugin for wordpress.
So, look it up at wordpress.org

Or, you can block ips for your whole site, wordpress or not.

If your hosting co. use cPanel, there is "IP Deny Mananer" under "Security".
If not, you can add following line (without quote) to .htaccess file.

deny from "ip address you want to block"

You can do...
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or
xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24 - this will block xxx.xxx.xxx.1 to xxx.xxx.xxx.255
xxx.xxx.0.0/16 - this will block xxx.xxx.1.1 to xxx.xxx.255.255

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Why ? A Javascript conflict?

We have variations of both (PP and SS) running on the same page for many client sites, never heard of such a technical challenge....

?

Rob

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this Fab. Particularly like the Cross Linker.

The Go Code plugin functionality can be done manually too. Just edit your .htaccess file and add a redirect code to your affiliate link

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators