Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

cctld $10,000 Budget for .CA Investment

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but we landed a new client about 3 weeks ago. This is a new "domain investor", someone who would like to diversify their investment portfolio to include domains. Their goal is to buy about 50 "good" domains at an average cost of $200 per domain. I say "good", because we realize it is impossible to buy 50 "great" domains with $10K.

Anyhow, we started to reach out and contact domain owners, but as soon as you say you are interested in buying, their demands become outrageous as they think you are a desparate buyer: NOT THE CASE! We are going to patiently acquire the 50 domains. $200 will be the average cost, but we will entertain purchases on either side of that price.

If you have domains that you are interested in selling, please send a list with prices to [email protected].

No offers via PM...

Please don't be offended if we are not interested. We will make recommendations, but we do need final approval from our client. We have already purchased 3 domains and they are "very good".

So let me know if you have anything you are interested in selling (domains without a price will not be considered).

Domain Summit 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any specific niche or type of domain please ?
I understand this is for .ca domains only - English and/or French names ?

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No specific niche, but definitely english. These domains are for investment and development. The clients goal is a 20% return over 5 years, so they'd like to turn $10K into $25K. If things are looking good in 6-12 months, they may invest more.

As for max budget per name, there is none, but they do want 50 names, so it's unlikely we will throw $1000 at any domains as this would mean getting a few "very good" domains, and a bunch of "mediocre" ones. We are also using the budget on selective TBR names, but the quality has been poor lately, and landing the decent ones via TBR is increasingly difficult.

Ang

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Email has been sent with list.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Email sent with list. Thanks for you consideration. I would consider bulk deals if we can package some domains together.

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
email sent ;)

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Could you please give an example of a good domain for $200...?

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Email Sent!

Cheers,

Jay

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow; I really appreciate the quick responses. Over 1000 domains have been sent since yesterday, so we will have to sort through them and make recommendations to our client. In the meantime, please keep them coming to the email address above. Many did not include prices, but simply asked for offers. We will not be making offers on non-priced domains.

A few of you sent domains in the $1000 range and above. Due to the budget limits, we cannot make offers at those levels, or we will have an impossible time buying 50.

As for examples of a good $200 domain, that is going to be determined by the buyer, and would fluctuate based on the market conditions (supply and demand). Three years ago $200K would have bought you a fixer-upper 5 miles from the beach in FLA; today you can get a two-bedroom condo on the beach for the same price.

Don't mean to evade the question, but it's not that easy to answer. For example 18 months ago we might have been buying LLL's as many LLL.ca were selling for $150-$200; now you can get a bunch (5-6) for $200. So if you have LLL.ca, please don't expect us to offer $200 (unless they are brandable).

Some geo's may be a good value at $200, something like TorontoRestaurants.ca or VancouverRestaurants.ca. (sorry if these belong to anyone here!) A few people sent domains that they just registered yesterday (no thanks to those too!). Proper Names could make a good investment, but please no TM.

Last edited:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No offense but if I had $10,000 to spend on .ca domains, I'd probably buy 1 to 10 really good domains, instead of 50 decent ones for $200 range each. But given today's economy you might get some good ones in your price range. I just wonder if they should re-think their strategy.

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No offense but if I had $10,000 to spend on .ca domains, I'd probably buy 1 to 10 really good domains, instead of 50 decent ones for $200 range each. But given today's economy you might get some good ones in your price range. I just wonder if they should re-think their strategy.

It comes down to "investment" strategy, no different really from investing in the stock market. How big do you want your basket to be? Your strategy is definitely one that was considered, but our experience, having done this a few times, is that if you buy 50 good domains, over a 5 year period a couple of those will attract some nice offers, and in many cases it's not the domain you would expect. Last year we helped a client buy 10 "auto" related domains, all between $50-$300. The one you would consider 9th or 10th best he sold a few weeks ago $2000, just about making back his entire initial investment.

The biggest problem buying these day is the unrealistic expectations of the seller. We have made fair offers of $100 or $200 for domains and been turned down, only to then see the domain show up in the TBR list. Odd!!

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting but not surprising, value of a domain is different to everyone.

In a sense, if it was the 9th or 10th best name out of ten, those names have a potential worth of $20,000 based on that one sale.

I sometimes wonder about the value of my .ca portfolio, I could easily see each domain selling for $1,000 to the right user. And some have sold for that or more, and not even my best names. Now, if I had for example 100 .ca domains, is my portfolio worth $100,000 potentially? Maybe. And then I know some of those domains are easily worth more than $1,000 each. But we all know it isn't easy to liquidate a portfolio and get good value, so you get that value over time, one or two sales at a go. Not that I want to liquidate my portfolio now - lol.

Back to the strategy, I see what you mean, but it's buying 50 names and hoping to have a few winners in there, vs. buying say 5 domains with the same money and knowing they are all winners. I think the Legendary JP talked about this type of strategy before, meaning its better to buy fewer domains of high quality than spread it around too much on many domains.

Two factors working against the value of the mid-tier names are the relatively small Canadian population, and restrictions on .ca ownership. Population can't do much about, but if anyone could own a .ca you'd see more speculators come in and prices for mid-tier domains would be higher, IMO.

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All very good arguments, but as I mentioned earlier, it's like investing in the stock market. Everyone tries to pick a winner, some do it by buying only "blue-chips", while others like to go for the "penny-stocks", and still others leave their money to be invested with a sure winner like "Bernie Madoff". I personally like real-estate and mutual funds. If more traditional investors saw "domains" as a viable part of their asset-mix, this would definitely add value to your holdings. But this is unlikely to ever happen, as domain investors are a fringe group.

In the end, if your strategy is to flip domains, that is, buy for $xxxx and try to sell for 2x a few weeks or a few months later, then LJP's strategy is the way to go. It is however, a bit of a day-traders mentality.

Why limit the investment to $10K; I guess this guy is smart!

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My strategy sounds much better when you describe it ;)

flybuzz

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah 10k budget is really limited. And who is going to sell you good 50 domains that produce 20% return over 5 years? Wouldn't they rather keep the names for 5 years themselves?

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I've said this many times before..but you don't invest in domains by buying 100 names that are worth $10. You buy only quality names... 1 or 2 and build a strong portfolio.

The only problem i find here is that ...i am not going to submit names if i have no idea what a $200 name is worth to you. Most of the resellers here will not sell much of anything for $200.

Also, the term diversifying is not meant to be used in one stream...you don't diversify in domains by buying 50 names instead of 2. You diversify by buying investments across the board... stocks, commodities, real estate etc.

Good luck in your search though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom