Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

$50 seem a little steep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Every think of how much it costs to pay the programmers to contantly enhance things here so we can stand out from the crowd?
Additional features don't run a website, they 'add' to it. A server runs a website. Therefore my answer reflected how much it costs to keep DNF up. There is no disputing Gregs efforts. However a question was posed and I answered. DNF shouldn't cost no more then $50 a month to keep online.

Domain Summit 2024

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Is that info from Gregr because i have run small forums before and 25-25 GB is not alot of bandwidth for a site this size.

Do not forget vBulletin uses g-zip compression. In addition; pictures are not allowed in sigatures. I mean this is not a bloated flat file UBB here, it's vB. At max, this site uses 40GB monthly.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe ONYX is talking about cheap servers using cheap hardware - (and most importantly) cheap lines.

If we did that - people would start to complain about slow loading times - etc.

It's about speed and connectivity too - not just bandwidth.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know greg has previously stated he uses 2 high quality > $1000pcm servers from rackspace for dnforum and some of his other projects, not the $99 deals from somewhere like rackshack.

Bandwidth is not the main issue but i believe that the bw used for dnforum is better than the cheap/unreliable cogent crap that a lot of people use.

Also greg is paying for decent support so when the server goes down (which anyone who works in IT will know is an inevitability at one time or another) it gets resolved asap. this is a global forum so even if the server is down in the early hours of the am in the US still impacts on the members in china or europe.

*edit* it was datapipe.com not rackspace.com **/edit**

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
$50 a month? You could have a 2Mb Line, and your own PC running as a server on the end of it. Serving up probably a couple hundred gig of bandwidth a month. More than enough to cover a forum.

What keeps people interested in a forum though, is not the ultimate speed of it (obviously discounting ridiculously low speeds), but what it offers to them, and what price it offers it to them at.

Believe me, many people will leave if these charges go ahead... :cry:

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Domain Name Forum user,

You may or may not have heard that charges are being implemented on DNForum.com.
These will include charges simply for browsing the forums, without even having posting access.

I'm sure a lot of you will not be prepared to pay much, if anything, just to access a forum.
That's where SupaWhois.com comes in...

.......we are trialling the SupaWhois.com forums

devolution - Surely this is not true? :confused:

Are you harvesting email addresses from our members (mistake #1) - using them to Spam people (mistake #2) - and then trying to blow things out of proportion (mistake #3) by saying the above?

Surely this is not really happening? (#3) could be argued to be only a matter of opinion I suppose - but there is absolutely NO excuse for (#1) -&- (#2). A simple YES or NO answer please.....

Are you really doing this?

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Simple....yes.

I received the same note and there are is at least one other thread here somewhere that states the same.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Larry - you got it too huh? :sad:

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I received the Supawhois spam as well.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by devolution

Believe me, many people will leave if these charges go ahead... :cry:

I don't understand why you're crying. You should have put a happy face.

Spamming of members will not be tolerated.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:confused:

looks like posts on this thread have been edited or deleted and now it does not make much sense

M

mole

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I were in charge your ass would be out of here for sending this crap.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just an overreaction imo Bob. PM deny receipts are an easy and containable problem. But if someone here sends me a spam mail to my POP mail, they get nuked simultaneously with Nucem and Spamcop. I complain direct to the ISP and webhost provider, and don't bother much about notifying the spammer :evil:

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Exactly mole.

Also.... in all fairness - the word 'ass' is not on the top list of 'vulgar' words - and most people do not find it offensive. People even joke around all the time with the word 'ass'. If we try to keep every single example of this type of 'mild' language from being posted - it would be bad for members and mods both.

That being said - we will be happy to edit the word from his post - the minute the same number of people complain about it - that have complained about 'dvolution' harvesting member emails and using them to Spam.

M

mole

Originally posted by NamePopper.com
That being said - we will be happy to edit the word from his post - the minute the same number of people complain about it - that have complained about 'dvolution' harvesting member emails and using them to Spam.

Harvesting member emails? Through a harvesting script directed at the dnf domain? So could anyone I guess. I would recommend all members use http://www.spamex.com disposable emails for their forum emails. I do, and I find it works like a dream.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

Harvesting member emails? Through a harvesting script directed at the dnf domain? So could anyone I guess. I would recommend all members use http://www.spamex.com disposable emails for their forum emails. I do, and I find it works like a dream.

Just about every member here at some point revealed a domain name they owned and I'm sure any member here can do a whois.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mole - you are truly the most well researched person I have ever met regarding Spam. You always seem to have the answers. Have you ever thought about starting your own spam stopper type of business? Maybe you could be a 'consultant' or something. I am totally serious. :D

Like Greg said - 'dvolution' could just be looking up members in the whois - so maybe the word 'harvesting' is not appropriate. However - the word Spam sure is!

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another useful freebie is Mailwasher from www.mailwasher.net
Adjustable filters - bounce individual addresses, block whole domains etc and FREE.

M

mole

Originally posted by Mr Webname
Another useful freebie is Mailwasher from www.mailwasher.net
Adjustable filters - bounce individual addresses, block whole domains etc and FREE.

Mailwasher is great for filtering out your email before it lands into your mailbox client and the preview pane triggers off an "open" verification to the spammer. Over 80% of emails have web bugs that do this according to http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=ofspamcontains1045055252&area=news

But the bouncing feature is useless 90%+ of the time. Spammers have gotten round this ages ago.

M

mole

Originally posted by NamePopper.com
Mole - you are truly the most well researched person I have ever met regarding Spam.

LOL Pop, about time you get out of your computer and meet some chicks. I just find killing spam fascinating and a great stress reliever. :evil:

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

LOL Pop, about time you get out of your computer and meet some chicks.

:sad:

I'm sorry mole. I meant what I said as a genuine compliment. I apologize if it seemed otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators