Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

cctld A domain I really want is in "Redemption"... what are my chances of getting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The name expired on January 8th. I inquired on it several months ago and received no response.

The CIRA whois status says it's in "redemption".

However, the February 9th TBR, which would be the appropriate time for the name to actually drop, does not show the name on the list.

The URL no longer resolves to a parked page, as it had in the past, so I am unable to contact the owner by any means besides the "contact form" on the whois.

Is there any possibility that the name will drop in the subsequent TBR on February 16th?

I would really appreciate some help, as getting my hands on this name would be a big deal for me.

Domain Summit 2024

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do you have any extentions??? to that domain

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do you have any extentions??? to that domain

I don't believe I understand your question.

The extension for the domain in question is .ca.

I don't own any other variants such as .on.ca, .bc.ca, etc.

I do not own the name in any other extensions. The .com, .net, .org and .info are taken, while the .biz is available.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well because i had the same problem last year i had the net and the com went into redemption and i back ordered it and someone else got it on the drop and they contacted me if i wanted to buy it because they saw i owned the .net, the domain was rent to own in spanish , i think it will be harder on your end , check out snap names and reserve it and see what happens.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nothing you can do, the owner can still renew it within 30 days of expiry, or up to 40 days if at Sibername. Contact the owner through whois if you want to buy it, or wait to see if it drops and apply for it with all .ca drop catchers.

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So weird that you posted this. I was JUST looking up a dot ca domain name for a client, and it happens to be in redemption as well. Don't worry though, different dates, so we aren't after the same domain...at least I don't think so. :) How long is it from expiring to TBR?

The debate is this, what is more risky:

1. Trying to contact the current owner via whois, asking them if you can purchase it, or
2. Wait for TBR and see if you can pick it up

I think I'll take my chances on TBR.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's the DNS ?

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think anything at the moment, why?

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Use pool.com as well, they have been catching lots lately.

Hopefully it's not a name that would attract regular tbr action.

-=DCG=-

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Adam, will do. It will get a little attraction, but not likely anything near what my client is willing to pay. Just need to make sure I signup with most (every?) TBR registrar I guess.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it is a name you really want, I'd say waiting for TBR is more risky than contacting the owner now. Unless it is name that wouldn't attract any attention.

It's likely to attract attention. It's a name which I was ready to make a $x,xxx offer on. I'm honestly shocked that a name of this caliber went into redemption.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

How long is it from expiring to TBR?

No idea... which is why I posted this. The name expired nearly a month ago, and yet the TBR session which would be 31 days after its expiry does not include this name. On that basis, a name having expired on January 8th should be included in a TBR of which week?

The debate is this, what is more risky:

1. Trying to contact the current owner via whois, asking them if you can purchase it, or
2. Wait for TBR and see if you can pick it up

Already tried contacting through the email form on the parked page. Didn't make an offer, but made my intent to purchase very clear.

As of right now, the domain does not resolve to a parked page, so no such form exists, and the WHOIS is private, so I can't contact them by any means except the delivery form, which I've heard to be less than reliable.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

What's the DNS ?

The DNS is at parked.com... but as it is in redemption, nothing turns up when typing the URL in.

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That is wierd, the domain I'm looking at says it expired on December 7, 2010, it says it's in redemption, but also says it was updated on January 20, 2011. What does that even mean?

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of people out there who renew during suspended period.

Updated usually means it was renewed, in some cases the registrar will renew.

What is expiry showing?

grcorp - If expiry is Jan 8th it will enter TBR on Feb 16th.

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey theinvestor, thanks for the info.

Expiry date: 2010/12/07

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can go beyond 30 days now, depends on the registrar. Sibername holds the domain for at least 40 days. Namespro does 30 days. I renewed a .ca that had just expired at Godaddy. It shows the renewal date now in 2012, but the status in CIRA whois shows as "auto renew grace".

I let quite a few of my names go into the 30 day suspension period, and often renew just a day or two before the domain would be deleted and go to TBR. If a domain gets decent traffic and I've built a webpage for it - and it makes daily revenue - I'll renew it for sure before the suspension period starts.

Does anyone else let a lot of their names go right down to the wire before renewing?

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do quite often. And the funny thing is that more than once I get a request for a price for the name within a day or so of renewing. So it seems that people were watching hoping for it to drop and offering on renewal. That has happened many times to me.

Most of mine are at NP and they have 30 day. BUT...Be sure you are aware of the days...not just "it expired Aug 30 so I have until Sept 30". Doesn't work like that...that would be 31 days...I got caught a cople of times when I first started and lost some names.

And names I just don't want to risk losing I don't mess with obviously...just renew them early

Last edited:

DomainSpace

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same... I renew most of my better names right away and the others go into the 30 day suspension period. I often renew just days before they would be deleted.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No RobM, that's why you should renew ones with websites or make $$ being parked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom