Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Any computer techs here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haynes8

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I need some help. I am trying to modify the buffer setting on my com 1 port, when I go to: device manager/ports/com 1/properties/port settings I need to be able to access the advanced tab in port settings, but I get an error message saying: You must have write privileges in the registry for this device in order to modify the device's advanced settings.

According to permissions I hace FULL access to system.

Anyone have any idea what I need to do so I can access the advanced tab and change the settings?

Thanks

Domain Summit 2024

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Vista or XP? Where do you see you have the permission?

Check on user profile and make sure that you have admin permission or login as administrator.

haynes8

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats the psrt that has me puzzled, I am an administrator on the machine, with admin privileges. But I still can not access what I need.

windows xp.... btw

In control panel under user accounts its has me as administrator group

Last edited:

haynes8

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a plotter on COM 1 and the buffer settings on the port are to low. i need to increse them.

What would I have to change in the bios?

Thanks

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The bios setup would let you change the address and interrupt level.
Buffer is handled by OS.
Reboot the pc and log in as admin or reboot the pc and press F8 to go to maintenance mode.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I need some help. I am trying to modify the buffer setting on my com 1 port, when I go to: device manager/ports/com 1/properties/port settings I need to be able to access the advanced tab in port settings, but I get an error message saying: You must have write privileges in the registry for this device in order to modify the device's advanced settings.

According to permissions I hace FULL access to system.

Anyone have any idea what I need to do so I can access the advanced tab and change the settings?

Thanks

It could be numerous things - spyware change some permissions in your registry perhaps? Or is it not a "real" com port (maybe an add-on pci card?). John is correct also, go check in the bios, see if your port(s) is enabled, and how it's set.

You might go grab a copy of dial a fix, and run the permissions repair tool: http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#Mirrors.2Fdownload_locations.2C_and_articles

Another thought - you may have to add files= and buffers= lines in your config.sys (or config.nt).

Also, sometimes older serial plotters require a hardware buffer, which is between your computer & the actual plotter.

edit: Another thought: you may have to reboot into safe mode, login as administrator, and go into the registry, and check the policies. That user account might have registry editing disabled (normally by spyware/virii).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators