Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Anyone getting scared of New gtld's yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why are so many big companies and groups of established internet professionals going after batches of them to operate? Is it for the quick buck, or they must expect to make a viable business out of it. There are definitely two sides to the gtld argument among experienced domainers.
The big companies have their brand already established (ie, google, pepsi) and the cash to promote it. As I keep saying, the name is the brand and the brand is the name. This is going to make the businesses stand out from the norm. And it is a damn good business decision, imo. You are looking at the biggest shakeup in the internet since the internet. And companies like those will be able to control access to the name whereas they have no say since ICANN't allows anyone to reg anything.

Personally, I think it is going to be pretty cool looking at the potential of these sites advertising on television and so on. Honestly, I like seeing things I have not seen previously. I guess I just notice that stuff, like the first time I saw a .ca on a truck as it was going down the interstate.

The key is to get a jump on your competition. Considering the Pizza wars and Cola wars and Beer wars, anything that will further entrench your brand into the minds of the consumers is smart. And lets face it...thus far there hasn't been anything new lately to bring that edge to the brands.

Domain Summit 2024

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Quote of this century.

I thought this was the quote of the century;

02/04/2008

I was skeptical and did not even buy a .mobi until Jan 07. I spent months monitoring markets and news from around the globe not to invest in .mobi but to invest in stocks. That is when .mobi came to light. I didn't care a flip about it.

But all my research and market analysis came to a screeching halt and shifted gears when I saw mention after mention of the mobile internet and .mobi on home sites of some of these companies.

Look at my join date. I have been a domainer for years. Avoided the forums like the plague due to all the piss poor advice, bone head appraisals, opinions. And that was 4 or 5 years ago. I wish I still had stayed away. I would be laughing my *** off at these threads and you wouldn't know it. The difference now is I am laughing my *** off at these threads but you do know it.

Is it any surprise I posted a thread about .mobi from this forum in 2004?

:pound:

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Considering the Pizza wars

Let's get one thing straight. The pizza chains never won the war against the mom 'n' pop pizzerias. Those who think they did don't know the taste of real pizza. Pizza Hut has become such a huge success that it's now selling pasta LOL.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Let's get one thing straight. The pizza chains never won the war against the mom 'n' pop pizzerias. Those who think they did don't know the taste of real pizza. Pizza Hut has become such a huge success that it's now selling pasta LOL.

Agree, Pizza Hut is disgusting, I'm baffled how their able to remain in business... I love the mom 'n' pop pizzerias, we almost always choose them over one of the chains, And when we don't, it's Godfather's ;)

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree, Pizza Hut is disgusting, I'm baffled how their able to remain in business... I love the mom 'n' pop pizzerias, we almost always choose them over one of the chains, And when we don't, it's Godfather's ;)

People who eat domino's, pizza hut, (pizza pizza in canada) and the like do so because of the marketing, not the taste of the pizza. Their product is secondary to the marketing.

Puckerhuddle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If they quit advertising for a week they would be out of business.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To do what exactly? Check their friends FB status? lol

Yep, the way consumers use their mobile devices I can see it drastically changing the internet landscape.

Not.

woah really? one of the most uniformed posts in the entire thread. i expected this kind of talk 5 years ago but in 2012 it falls into the territory of denying reality. i still use a desktop computer almost all the time and use my mobile device a whole lot less than most people.. (i even sell laptops but dont own one myself) but as somebody already mentioned this isnt about the habits of a few of us geeks.

anyway, why are we talking about mobile again? :laugh:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Had my Iphone since it first came out, and the only times I use the browser is when I need information on the fly, Bank balance, CC Balance, Store location, stuff like that.. Everything else can wait until I get home.

An Internet Ipad is a different story.. I could myself going crazy with one of those.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
People who eat domino's, pizza hut, (pizza pizza in canada) and the like do so because of the marketing, not the taste of the pizza. Their product is secondary to the marketing.

Speaking for myself, I'm not easily sold on advertising.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the ipad/tablet thing was surprising to me how much its taken off and how many people want or already use those.. i guess it shouldnt be so surprising since its smaller than a laptop but larger than a handheld. it just seemed like it wasnt much smaller than some of the thinner laptops - enough to make a huge difference anyway. you wont see me with one anytime soon - but thats just me.

it would have been interesting to see if the ipad/tablet phenomenon happened as fast if it hadn't been apple that came out with the iPad.. tablets are not a new thing but the thickness has decreased and the price point is reasonable now - the touchscreen thing on tablets has existed for a pretty long time though.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
woah really? one of the most uniformed posts in the entire thread. i expected this kind of talk 5 years ago but in 2012 it falls into the territory of denying reality. i still use a desktop computer almost all the time and use my mobile device a whole lot less than most people.. (i even sell laptops but dont own one myself) but as somebody already mentioned this isnt about the habits of a few of us geeks.

anyway, why are we talking about mobile again? :laugh:
I guess it's my bad when I responded to JB Lions' comment and said that it's really difficult to ignore Google. I mentioned mobile, because while they basically rule the Internet NOW (with their overwhelming market share worldwide), it's Android that will make them totally unavoidable in the years to come.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The ipad is great for around the house, when you need a bigger screen than a smartphone and you don't want to lug a laptop around. Great for internet browsing when you don't have a lot of typing to do!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rather than sit here and describe our own habits, how about getting up from the computer, leaving the house, and experiencing what is going on outside of your realm and comfort zone?

Some still are in denial that internet is dominating the media dollars in terms of radio and print. Some are still insisting that newspapers and magazines are not in trouble.

Go to the mall, go to a college campus and you will see what they are using to surf the internet, browse the internet, and communicate with one another.

What is one of the hottest trends right now? Mobile payments. Why? Because everyone is carrying around a mobile device and merchants want to part them and their money.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The ipad is great for around the house, when you need a bigger screen than a smartphone and you don't want to lug a laptop around. Great for internet browsing when you don't have a lot of typing to do!

I will agree with the internet browsing and typing point you make, But I think you under state it's use when you say it's a "around the house" device, it MUCH more than that...The IPAD is a great presentation device in office or in the Field, it's being used by a wide range of businesses, Realtors, Builders, Designers, Product sales, Teachers and others, And the graphics improvement on the IPAD 3, WOW!, You don't want to see it if you own a IPAD 2 because you'll want to trade in your old one.

I guess it shouldnt be so surprising since its smaller than a laptop but larger than a handheld.

Smaller, Lighter, and you don't have to wait an eternity for it to boot up.

Last edited:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But there I disagree.

Not entirely, but as I will suggest, the phone, the pad/tablet, the laptop, the desktop,...
....all those are targeting the "form following function" engineering momentum.

With the exception,... the apple fanboys/girls. Everytime apple comes out with something new, the fanboys/girls think it should replace bread and toiletpaper.

But the truth is each type of device has a purpose, and if the manufacturer can make the device work in the real world,..it is a hit.

The real world doesnt change though, it just slowly evolves to the way the world addresses it.

That is why most companies have gobs of desktops, but yes, they do outfit their salesmen with iphones,... and the marketers with tablets, and all get laptops to take home.

At my house, I have them all. But I build my websites to cater to the standard, and form-fit them as needed to accomadate the traffic that visits them.

But wayy-back on topic,... the new tld's,.... it has nothing to do with any of this.

More importantly,... make it fit to "form-following-function".

Ok, they cant be. They are just dot com's, but different.

Now try stuffing that into the average head of the average internet user.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now try stuffing that into the average head of the average internet user.
Those that have deep pockets can and will do this, and some will succeed. Those will be the exception, not the norm.

Some of the gTLD's are trendy which may not only limit their success but also a potentially short life. I have a feeling .eco and .green will have a much smaller market than others like .music.

I do believe many of the geo (.dublin, .nyc, .berlin) will be very successful. There is a viable market for them, as well as a large market.

Still, I have no fear of the new gTLD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom