Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

cctld Are all the good .ca's now gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are all the good .ca's now gone?

I think it's getting pretty close to that point... even pool's .ca weekly drops are looking less interesting.

For those with .ca's seems the market will heat up soon as I believe all good .ca's disappearing fast.

Any other opinions?

-=DCG=-

Domain Summit 2024

longhorn

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I still think there are many good domains out there.

Ridge

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree good ones are gone, there are some ok names left but it seems slim pickings.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are all the good .ca's now gone?

I can not imagine you left any to be regged. :smilewinkgrin:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are only 1104266 .ca registered. There are still decent names to be found.

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The question was are all "good" .ca's gone? Obviously this depends on your definition of "good". Based on my definition, I believe:

a) all "great" .ca's are 100% gone
b) all "good" .ca's are almost gone
c) there are plenty of "decent" .ca's left

Just my opinion - other will no doubt disagree

longhorn

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The question was are all "good" .ca's gone? Obviously this depends on your definition of "good". Based on my definition, I believe:

a) all "great" .ca's are 100% gone
b) all "good" .ca's are almost gone
c) there are plenty of "decent" .ca's left

Just my opinion - other will no doubt disagree

I think that is fair

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think all of the top notch .ca domain are gone but if you are willing to do a bit of mining, there are still some pretty decent domains available to hand reg; especially in niche areas. I have a list of over 50 or so that I will register eventually. An example of a recent niche domain registered and developed is BabyBibs.ca and I also registered the singular. So there are still lots of opportunities.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Agree with you there Wallace. For an end user you can still pick up some decent names for reg fee.

They do not need to pay high premium prices. Unless of course they want a very premium domain.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is how I see it:

All the good premium ones are long gone - into the hands of end-users, or domainers who have parked them. Too many of the best .ca's are parked.

The mid-grade ones are slowly rising in price, and for the most part are all registered. More of these seem to be actually used by end-users as they register them and use them instead of paying hefty bloated premium prices, or pick them up from domainers at a fraction of premium prices.

There are decent .ca's to be had via fresh registration - especially two word and three word ones that many domainers shy away from, but make perfect starting points for affiliate websites, MFA's, ma and pa shops, personal websites etc.

It is getting harder to find good tbr .ca's at price points that really make pursuing them worth the effort. With fewer good domain dropping, the competition is of course amplified and getting a good deal is much harder to achieve.

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great names are a thing of the past unless you feel like dropping 5k. I have spent some serious dollars in 2008 on some quality names before they simply start looking around the same dollar figure as a downpayment on a house.

If you have the capital, invest. I'm going to try and make one or two big purchases and then just focus on maturing what I have.

I agree with domaintrix's assessment.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any other opinions?
Just imagine when only 1 million .COM's were registered (as in 1997). .CA has finally reached that point ... like 6 months ago?

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can ever compare .com's with .ca's.

ccTLD's are very different. I think 1M .ca's taken has a much bigger impact than 1M .com's taken. IMO.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

ccTLD's are very different. I think 1M .ca's taken has a much bigger impact than 1M .com's taken. IMO.

Maybe so as far as impact and the restrictions set with .ca's....but you may not want to ignore the comparison.

Frankly...I see the .ca market (and a few other cc's) as very similar to where the .com market was back in 1998 when I learned about domains for the 1st time (I know something similar to this was already posted)...even as far as aftermarket sale prices go too...it is really eerie how similar things are....the one difference is that there is much more knowledge about domains & the internet today and there are smarter speculative reggs in these spaces...that does not mean that there still are not many good ones out there. I remember thinking in 1999 that it was hopeless to find a good .com...I sure would like a time machine...even just for the hand reggs that were still available...not to mention how easy it would be to get topline names for under 10k....most likely way under.

I would treat this as an opportunity to get into that time machine.

A couple years ago, I tried to reg .ca names and saw that it was restricted...to bad for me and I focused on some .co.uk names...I am happy I did this.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Do you mean we have a different set of keywords here in Canada, because we speak a different English? What do you think would be the top 100, 1,000 or 10,000 .CA domains as compared to their .COM counterparts?

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Exactly, when there were 1M .com's taken the variety was much different. Since it was available for everyone to register.

.ca's have a much bigger impact here since what is being registered is more geared to development in Canada.

In regards to your top domains. It will definitely be different. Although from a reseller point of view obviously there are going to be similar names in the top 100 from both .com and .ca names. But, there are some domains in .ca that will hold much greater value than .com.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't follow the TBR's or pool much these days, but the times I do look the pickings are very slim. In terms of what I'm seeing on the many of the boards, any good or great .ca names are being held back for many reasons and mostly reg fee and worse type names are being offered for sale. I think many of the holders of the better .ca names are either holding out for better prices or are planning/doing development.

The market over the past 6 months for even good .ca name sales has not been speclatular, other than the same 5 - 10 sales that are often referred to.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Noticed quite a few names with dashes were taken in the last tbr.

I think the quality of the drops may improve if the economy keeps going this way. Some good will get thrown out with the bad.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, economy sucks lateley for sure. In terms of good .ca's available, there are still some really good niche domains available. For instance, I hand reg Stairways dot ca just the other day; over 54,000 OVT and a great commercial domain and I also hand registered a couple of good 3 character .ca's. So there are still opportunities to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom